U18s: United v Leeds

lysglimt

Scout
What a superb defensive run by Oyedele - I just cant imagine Sancho or Rashford doing something like that

lysglimt

Scout
Yea, I can’t imagine Sancho or Rashford being defensive midfielders either.
So just because Sancho and Rashford arent defensive midfielders they shouldnt track back ? Oyedele ran 50 meters at full pace against a lightning quick winger - and blocked his cross, to cover for the right-back. Thats the kind of effort the attacking players of the best clubs in England show - and the effort our wingers never show.

Pericles

So just because Sancho and Rashford arent defensive midfielders they shouldnt track back ? Oyedele ran 50 meters at full pace against a lightning quick winger - and blocked his cross, to cover for the right-back. Thats the kind of effort the attacking players of the best clubs in England show - and the effort our wingers never show.

Ridiculous to compare the defensive action of a defensive midfielder to that of wingers/forwards. It is just like saying " What a nice slalom dribble and classy finish by Garnacho. I can't imagine Matic and Fred doing that".

Would have made more sense to compare Oyedele to Matic or McFred. However if your aim was to find a way to bash Sancho and Rashford you are doing very well.

lysglimt

Scout
Ridiculous to compare the defensive action of a defensive midfielder to that of wingers/forwards. It is just like saying " What a nice slalom dribble and classy finish by Garnacho. I can't imagine Matic and Fred doing that".

Would have made more sense to compare Oyedele to Matic or McFred. However if your aim was to find a way to bash Sancho and Rashford you are doing very well.
Oyedele was on the right side almost level with Leeds 18 yard-box. Leeds won the ball and countered - Oyedele sprinted back 60 yards to his own box to stop the attack. So no - it's absolutely not ridiculous - this is a position one of our wingers often are in when we lose the ball - but they dont track back. But maybe you think the 3 front players shouldn't have any defensive duties ?

Mickson

Oyedele was on the right side almost level with Leeds 18 yard-box. Leeds won the ball and countered - Oyedele sprinted back 60 yards to his own box to stop the attack. So no - it's absolutely not ridiculous - this is a position one of our wingers often are in when we lose the ball - but they dont track back. But maybe you think the 3 front players shouldn't have any defensive duties ?
I think I'm with Pericles here, it's kind of Oyedele's duty but I totally understand what you mean in general. This is a hard-working team, and you can't say that about the first team. That is what strikes me when I watch our U18 and even compare them to earlier teams, it's how hard they work for 90 minutes without compromising on their quality. It's the modern game. You can't slack, even if you're a striker. The Klopp and Pep style.

Demaw

That is a pretty strong 11. Hard to beat that group. Oyedele and Gore are hard mid workers allowing the others to attack. Very nice balance. How did Mather and Willy K play today? I didn't see it yet.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That is a pretty strong 11. Hard to beat that group. Oyedele and Gore are hard mid workers allowing the others to attack. Very nice balance. How did Mather and Willy K play today? I didn't see it yet.
I fell asleep at some point in the first 15 minutes and missed most of the game.

Remember the geese

I was a bit unsure of Marc Jurado last season, but he looks like he has come on a lot this season. It isn't unusual for players signed from abroad to need a bit of time to settle though I guess. Same as Garnacho, he has been much more consistent this time around, after showing flashes of his ability last season. Fernandez was quality from day one, in my opinion. Anyway, great to see from Jurado. I often think he goes a bit under the radar.

Pericles

In modern football every player has to work hard for the team on or off the ball. Having said that it is still not a good comparison. DMs tend to have more defensive tenacity and work rate.
If it was Garnacho or Mather then it would be more logical.

Mickson

Willy had his best game this season so far, very pleasing. Mather was good but missed two sitters, but creative as always. United was decent but put their foot off the pedal in the second half.

Sea-Cow

I was a bit unsure of Marc Jurado last season, but he looks like he has come on a lot this season. It isn't unusual for players signed from abroad to need a bit of time to settle though I guess. Same as Garnacho, he has been much more consistent this time around, after showing flashes of his ability last season. Fernandez was quality from day one, in my opinion. Anyway, great to see from Jurado. I often think he goes a bit under the radar.
Yeah I have been surprised to see him named captain so often, considering the muted response he got last year.