U18s: United vs Reading

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Lacey is probably the most talented of the bunch - but he is also the one who has the most to learn tactically. He gives you a goal a game - but he also wastes 2-3 huge chances by making weird decisions. But if he learns to make the right decisions, what a cracking player he will be
He will. Most attacking players are like that at youth level. The decision-making and composure comes only with experience.

Gungerz

Early season - but this is one of the most promising U18-sides we have had in a long time. Especially if you take into consideration how many players we have with quality, and how young this squad is. Today we had 7 players who were 16 years old - and we played without Ogunneye, Gore, Lawrence, Oyedele, Fredericson, Murray, Jackson, Aljofree, Harrison, Nolan, Moorhouse, Scanlon, Mather, Williams, Berry and Ennis - who all could have played.
Oyedele, Gore, Mather, Lawrence, Fredricson, Aljofree, Murray & Ennis are all too old for the 18s now.

Gungerz

The U16s also played Reading in the cup today (their group mirrors the 18s).

No idea of the score but I’m 99% sure they didn’t lose.

lysglimt

Scout
Oyedele, Gore, Mather, Lawrence, Fredricson, Aljofree, Murray & Ennis are all too old for the 18s now.
ah ok - they were all listed on manutd.com so I didn't doublecheck their DOB

khoazany

Missin's form coming at the right time. We can comfortably promote Williams up to the U21s full-time now, and we do need quality attacking options for the FA Youth Cup. Feels like he'll only get better the more he get used to his new, less tiny frame.

top1whoisman

Scout
Is Wheatley really tall or is it that our rest of the under 18s too short?
Sure compared to Missin, Lacey and co. it's a huge contrast but the boy is tall. How tall? Don't know.

Here he's next to James Nolan and Jack Kingdon, who are not the shortest themselves. Kingdon 182cm according to some data (186cm according to others but I don't think he's that tall).

Last edited:

saik

Sure compared to Missin, Lacey and co. it's a huge contrast but the boy is tall. How tall? Don't know.

Here he's next to James Nolan and Jack Kingdon, who are not the shortest themselves. Kingdon 182cm according to some data (186cm according to others but I don't think he's that tall).

Cool. He is already very tall and he is only 17 I think? And like you said, those wingers looked way too short. Hopefully they all have a growth spurt soon.

Might be that Reading are just terrible but I liked what I saw from Wheatley in those highlights. As his body starts to fill out and putting on some more muscle, he is going to be a handful.

top1whoisman

Scout
Cool. He is already very tall and he is only 17 I think? And like you said, those wingers looked way too short. Hopefully they all have a growth spurt soon.

Might be that Reading are just terrible but I liked what I saw from Wheatley in those highlights. As his body starts to fill out and putting on some more muscle, he is going to be a handful.
They've got time to grow. Lacey turned 16 in April, Missin 17 three weeks ago. Reading were not good at all, but that doesn't take anything away from our strong performance. Wheatley could've scored four but I'm confident the goals (I mean even more goals) will come with experience.