U18s v. Newcastle United

mav_9me

How hard is it to get a proper camera angle? Genuine question.

lysglimt

Scout
1-0 Newcastle with 6 minutes left to play in the first half. Perhaps the worst performance from the U18 this season. It's been so slow and lethargic.

Mickson

United has been very poor but is mostly rather good as a team - not today though. For all the hype, I must say I'm not impressed by that many individual players in this team. I like Forson and Hansen though.

Bertie Wooster

United has been very poor but is mostly rather good as a team - not today though. For all the hype, I must say I'm not impressed by that many individual players in this team. I like Forson and Hansen though.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I posted earlier in the week on a thread about our best U18 players.

The ones that stand out individually have already been promoted to the U23's. The ones that are top of the U18 league have put in good, solid team performances each week, and all look decent players but, individually, not many stand out as suggesting they'll be pushing for the first team squad at some point.

Hansen and Forson do look good technical midfielders, McNeill and Hoogewerf have potential up top, and I like the sound of highly rated CB Willy Kambwala, but he's mostly been injured since arriving.

There's definitely some decent talent, and hopefully some will kick on. But none yet stand out for me individually as a likely future first teamer.

Mickson

Yeah, that's pretty much what I posted earlier in the week on a thread about our best U18 players.

The ones that stand out individually have already been promoted to the U23's. The ones that are top of the U18 league have put in good, solid team performances each week, and all look decent players but, individually, not many stand out as suggesting they'll be pushing for the first team squad at some point.

Hansen and Forson do look good technical midfielders, McNeill and Hoogewerf have potential up top, and I like the sound of highly rated CB Willy Kambwala, but he's mostly been injured since arriving.

There's definitely some decent talent, and hopefully some will kick on. But none yet stand out for me individually as a likely future first teamer.
I think Hardley and Emeran are good examples of that. Very robust, hard-working, and decent (experienced) players at this level, but I don't see first-team potential in them. I obviously need to see more of Jurado and Garnacho for example before I make my mind up about them, but several in this team is in the Emeran and Hardley mode.

lysglimt

Scout
2-0 Newcastle - we are poor up front and awful at the back - bad combination :)

lysglimt

Scout

Sorry but Hoogewerf does not have a lot of potential. He turned 18 about 2 months ago and still looks average at an U18-level. He will be released quite soon.

Bertie Wooster

Sorry but Hoogewerf does not have a lot of potential. He turned 18 about 2 months ago and still looks average at an U18-level. He will be released quite soon.
No apologies needed. :)
I included Hoogewerf as he was highly rated when he joined and some seem to rate him still. Personally, I think he has technical attributes but I'm not convinced by his attitude or consistent end product so I agree that I doubt he'll make it here.

Bertie Wooster

Did the commentator say when going through the teams that a lot of these Newcastle players had been playing regularly for their U23's?

If so, I guess they've dropped down because they're playing us. Whereas we've kept the available ones at the higher level.

I guess that's one of the reasons we've never won this U18 league (overall by also beating the Southern champions). If we prioritised it above the player development, we'd be dropping down the better players for the last few games to guarantee this league. Much better to focus on the long term player development, even if it means we miss out on another youth title to the likes of City.

Mickson

Nope. Iqbal pulled a goal back. 15 minutes left to play.
He is. Statically and due to the fact that he plays quite often. Almost always a goal or an assist in him. Not saying that he is great, but who are? He is much better than say Emeran who almost always plays and is older too.

lysglimt

Scout
He is. Statically and due to the fact that he plays quite often. Almost always a goal or an assist in him. Not saying that he is great, but who are? He is much better than say Emeran who almost always plays and is older too.
He plays often for the U18 - because the best players are playing for the U23s

lysglimt

Scout
Newcastle 3-2 in the 89th minute - God our defenders have been poor. 2 attackers against 5 defenders and they still find a way to score

Mickson

He plays often for the U18 - because the best players are playing for the U23s
Yes, but now we're talking about this U18 team and the players who actually play. In there, Hoogewerf is one of the better ones. Certainly a better player than Emeran, Wellens, Mainoo, Garnacho among others.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Yes, but now we're talking about this U18 team and the players who actually play. In there, Hoogewerf is one of the better ones. Certainly a better player than Emeran, Wellens, Mainoo, Garnacho among others.
He is also 3 years older than the likes of Mainoo. Of this current u-18 bunch the ones that have stood out most to me are Hansen-aaron and McNeill. The better players already play for the u23.

Pearson

I think Dillon Hoogewerf is a bit inconsistent when it comes to the end product, yet it is unfair to focus on that cos clearly young players aren't good at that in general.

I agree he has not made enough progress as expected since he joined us. And he has not played that much for U23 this season, deservedly so, especially Hugill's meteoric ascent this season has been a surprise for all of us, preventing him playing more time at a upper level.

I still think Dillon still possess exciting attributes. His pace, techniques, and sometimes creativity as shown today in his assist for Iqbal are still worth watching.

Not every talented play will make it at United. Just hope he can make some substantile strides next season.

Mickson

He is also 3 years older than the likes of Mainoo. Of this current u-18 bunch the ones that have stood out most to me are Hansen-aaron and McNeill. The better players already play for the u23.
I'm not sure why you explain things to me that I already know.

SinNombre

Both our u18 and u23 teams are sliding down hard over the past month. It is what it is, but would have been nice for them to finish with some upwards momentum.