U18s vs Leeds

Thiagoal

3-0 now. Performances like this make the FAYC defeat look even more ridiculous

Gungerz

Mantato's done fairly well at LB whenever he's played there for the 18s but it's clear he's best as a winger. Looks really good.

lysglimt

Scout
3-0 now. Performances like this make the FAYC defeat look even more ridiculous
Especially if you take into consideration that we are (if I counted correctly) missing 16 players who could (and the majority of them would) play over the ones who are playing today.

And I must admit - Biancheri adds so much more to our game than Musa and Wheatley do - he is so much better at pressing defenders - and he looks capable of scoring, something the other two rarely do

lysglimt

Scout
Incredible 4-0 Williams - Mantato with another assist. And Leeds have won 3 of their last 5 games with 3 goals or more.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Especially if you take into consideration that we are (if I counted correctly) missing 16 players who could (and the majority of them would) play over the ones who are playing today.

And I must admit - Biancheri adds so much more to our game than Musa and Wheatley do - he is so much better at pressing defenders - and he looks capable of scoring, something the other two rarely do
While I agree that Wheatley needs to add efficiency to his game, he has scored three goals in two starts + two late sub appearances in the U18 PL this season. Biancheri now has four in double the amount of minutes Wheatley has.

In PL2 Wheatley has one goal in one full game + three late subs. That’s not too bad, although he should score more, I agree.

In U18 PL this season:

Musa goal every 159 minutes
Biancheri goal every 104 minutes
Wheatley goal every 66 minutes

Edit: All Biancheri’s three goals prior to today’s game were penalties. Two of Wheatley’s were pens too. Summary: We need our strikers to score more from open play.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
A very impressive performance so far, especially after nine changes to the team that won the derby last weekend.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Gotta give credit to the ref. He let Leeds get away with some hefty tackles early on but has tried to keep the game flowing.

saik

Ibragimov looks good but what he is getting so frustrated about? Already seen him throw his hands in air twice and he's only been on for a few mins.

lysglimt

Scout
While I agree that Wheatley needs to add efficiency to his game, he has scored three goals in two starts + two late sub appearances in the U18 PL this season. Biancheri now has four in double the amount of minutes Wheatley has.

In PL2 Wheatley has one goal in one full game + three late subs. That’s not too bad, although he should score more, I agree.

In U18 PL this season:

Musa goal every 159 minutes
Biancheri goal every 104 minutes
Wheatley goal every 66 minutes

Edit: All Biancheri’s three goals prior to today’s game were penalties. Two of Wheatley’s were pens too. Summary: We need our strikers to score more from open play.
First of all - let me start by saying I dont think any of the 3 have been good enough - in a strange way each of the 3 players remind me of a former United-player. In terms of playing-style of course.

Biancheri is Mark Robins - not good enough outside the box, but will score goals if the team creates chances for him. Works really hard but in terms of build-up play, adds too little.
Wheatley is Danny Welbeck - on his day he looks impossible to play against. Can score 3-4 goals in a game - and then go 5 games without even remotely looking like scoring. Very good individual qualities.
Musa is Mark Hughes - best with his back to goal outside the box. Strong, good in the build-up play - but not a great goalscorer and probably never will be.

top1whoisman

Scout
First of all - let me start by saying I dont think any of the 3 have been good enough - in a strange way each of the 3 players remind me of a former United-player. In terms of playing-style of course.

Biancheri is Mark Robins - not good enough outside the box, but will score goals if the team creates chances for him. Works really hard but in terms of build-up play, adds too little.
Wheatley is Danny Welbeck - on his day he looks impossible to play against. Can score 3-4 goals in a game - and then go 5 games without even remotely looking like scoring. Very good individual qualities.
Musa is Mark Hughes - best with his back to goal outside the box. Strong, good in the build-up play - but not a great goalscorer and probably never will be.
I agree with that more or less. Simply because of his size and some good attributes, I see Wheatley out of those three the one with the best future in front of him.

But he has a lot of room for improvement. He needs to be more aggressive and should be able to use his frame more to his advantage. On a bad day misses too many good chances.

With that frame he has the potential to be very difficult to defend against. The classic ”needs to bulk up” applies to him in my opinion.

But a lot of the weaknesses are more mental attributes. It feels like there is a player there if he got more involved and added some steel to his game.

Remember the geese

Mantato looks a good player to me. Only turned 16 a couple of days ago. Not sure if he will have enough as a wide forward player at the top level, but as a secondary threat at full back - could be promising.

top1whoisman

Scout
Mantato looks a good player to me. Only turned 16 a couple of days ago. Not sure if he will have enough as a wide forward player at the top level, but as a secondary threat at full back - could be promising.
This year’s team is wonderful to watch but I’m equally excited with what Lawrence can do with the next age group, whether it’s during the last part of the season or in 2024/25. Mantato, Ibragimov, Kukonki… Add Munro and a couple of the other already promoted players and it looks like an interesting team next season too.

lysglimt

Scout
I think Cotcher signed for Arsenal u18s but not 100% sure!
Checked 3 websites - and they all say it was Mason Cotcher. I thought he had signed for Arsenal too - I know he impressed a lot for them when he was on trial before christmas. Strange

stealthy

You make out like reaching the level of welbeck and legend Mark Hughes is not good enough. If them lads have carers anything like the guys you mentioned I’m sure they would consider that a huge success

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Still trying to figure out how a United fan would say Mark Hughes wasn't good enough

Remember the geese

You make out like reaching the level of welbeck and legend Mark Hughes is not good enough. If them lads have carers anything like the guys you mentioned I’m sure they would consider that a huge success
He isn't talking about levels. It's a stylistic comparison.

Bertie Wooster

Love that from Munro. Kicked all three balls away :lol:
I didn't really understand that, to be honest, at 4-0 up and looking just as likely to get a 5th - just seemed a slightly comedic, but unsubtle way to pick up a cheap and unnecessary booking.

But he put in a good performance, as much of the team did. Another (with the exception of Swindon) very enjoyable U18 game to watch.

top1whoisman

Scout
I didn't really understand that, to be honest, at 4-0 up and looking just as likely to get a 5th - just seemed a slightly comedic, but unsubtle way to pick up a cheap and unnecessary booking.

But he put in a good performance, as much of the team did. Another (with the exception of Swindon) very enjoyable U18 game to watch.
Of course it was an unnecessary booking that in other circumstances would’ve been stupid.

But the boy is 17, a bit of shithousery against Leeds, especially when we’re battering them, made me laugh. And I’ve never seen that before, he really made an effort to make sure none of those three balls were available for a quick throw.

Yeah he’s a very solid CB. Looking forward to seeing more from him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
That was very funny! I thought he was brilliant overall yesterday. It goes under the radar how good this team is out of possession - the second half yesterday they had Leeds pinned back nearly the entire half.
Must be something we've been hammering into the academy lads for a few years now because the FA youth cup winning side were the same.

Remember the geese

I see more Smalling in Kambwala actually. Or perhaps a mix of Smalling and Bailly. Whether that’s a good mix is another discussion.
A Smalling/Bailly mix sounds interesting. Potentially great, but potentially not. If it wasn't for injuries, I think Kambwala could have been a big player for us. Nowhere near as confident now.

top1whoisman

Scout
A Smalling/Bailly mix sounds interesting. Potentially great, but potentially not. If it wasn't for injuries, I think Kambwala could have been a big player for us. Nowhere near as confident now.
To be fair to him, that long-term injury did set him back and you can kind of see that when he plays. Hesitates sometimes when he shouldn’t and flies into tackles when he shouldn’t. But that’s about making the right decision and that comes with experience.

He’s been very solid for the first team in the couple of appearances so far. Still a talent for sure, just not sure he has the technical abilities to become a top CB.

dutchred

I don't think the injuries have really affected him as a player but maybe slowed down his progress.
As an example look at Mangi, despite his injuries lookig a really good player at Luton

Remember the geese

I don't think the injuries have really affected him as a player but maybe slowed down his progress.
As an example look at Mangi, despite his injuries lookig a really good player at Luton
Mengi is another player who I rated highly, but then lost his way for a while. Playing well this season though. Thinking about it, it seems to be an odd trend. I feel as if Hannibal's development has stalled over the last couple of years. Same goes for Shoretire, who despite doing well this season at under 21 level, was already performing well at that level 2/3 years ago.