U18s vs Leeds

Borninthe80ts

This year’s team is wonderful to watch but I’m equally excited with what Lawrence can do with the next age group, whether it’s during the last part of the season or in 2024/25. Mantato, Ibragimov, Kukonki… Add Munro and a couple of the other already promoted players and it looks like an interesting team next season too.
I was saying this in the Wheatley thread but more in relation to a striker. However I’m also looking forward to the best of the next group adding/ strengthening this group. Wonder if we might go with a false forward. Can see us retaining possession in and around the box.

Borninthe80ts

The Munro comparisons are interesting. I actually thought Smalling was pretty good in the ball when I watched him next to Jones at the under 21 championship back in the day and I think nerves made him worse. Anyway I think the youngster has the same dynamic physicality of the former and seems to play on the front foot too, so Bailly profile fits too.
Hopefully he can build a partnership with one of the other candidates coming through. I expect the current incumbents to be with the under 21s more next season.

In Rainbows

I don't really like to spend too much time thinking about youth CBs. They're too hard to suss out, even more so than your standard youth talent variance.

I had Thorpe as better than Keane. One had a career in the PL and the other went to India.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't really like to spend too much time thinking about youth CBs. They're too hard to suss out, even more so than your standard youth talent variance.

I had Thorpe as better than Keane. One had a career in the PL and the other went to India.
Hardest position to gauge at youth team for me, all the good ones will just steamroll everyone but they lose a lot of advantages moving to first team level, moreso than other positions.

Mickson

Hardest position to gauge at youth team for me, all the good ones will just steamroll everyone but they lose a lot of advantages moving to first team level, moreso than other positions.
I listened to an interview with a scout for a League One team (can't remember who it was) and said that youth CB's are so difficult to scout when they're playing youth football, and he mentioned that he tried to watch like 3-4 games to see how a specific player behaved in duels, and the player didn't enter a single duel in those games! I remember that he said something like "how could you sign a CB for a League One team if you don't even know if he can win a duel at U21 level?

lysglimt

Scout

In fairness - Thorpe never had a chance due to his injuries - who knows how far he could have gone without them

RedKing91

I think it is due to the kids lacking height and muscles. They are at a stage where their bodies are growing, and CB’s tend to usually have more physical bodies than say a winger or striker (obviously), and i think that is why the hype usually is around CAM,ST,and Wingers at youth level. I’m not saying all og them though, cause if i dont remember wrong i think Harry Maguire and Phil Jones were «big names» when it came to youth CB talents at Sheffield Utd and Blackburn back in the days. Its just my theory.

Ekeke

More about the development paths they took and their dedication

GueRed

Leeds displayed a lot of pace and aggression early on but lacked quality imo. The United lads coped well and matched their intensity.
There were quite a few good performances.
Manato impressed
Amass was solid again
Wiliams sharp and lively as usual
Baumann showed a lot of nice touches
Overall a good dominant team performance.