U18's vs Man City

PS18

According to the official site here, the kids are playing City today. anyone know what time and where (assuming Carrington at 11am as usual as the official site says no different but you never know with manutd.com), or what the result was if it's been played already?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
According to the official site here, the kids are playing City today. anyone know what time and where (assuming Carrington at 11am as usual as the official site says no different but you never know with manutd.com), or what the result was if it's been played already?
It was played at the Cliff in very windy conditions and we lost 0-5!!!

Very poor performance......it was 0-1 at half time but could have been more if not for some good goalkeeping from Ben Amos. City over ran us in midfield and we didn't really look like scoring.

Team: Amos, McCormack, Gill, Moffatt, Strickland, Evans, Eikrem, Norwood, Brandao, Bryan, Galbraith

Subs: Dudgeon, Potts, Ajose, Stewart.

I assume that James, Welbeck, Macheda, Curran, Brady, Drinkwater are all on international duty.

PS18

5-0, ouch. still a decent strength team out there and i assume City were missing their young internationals too, disappointing.

The Wizard

Very poor performance......it was 0-1 at half time but could have been more if not for some good goalkeeping from Ben Amos. City over ran us in midfield and we didn't really look like scoring.

Team: Amos, McCormack, Gill, Moffatt, Strickland, Evans, Eikrem, Norwood, Brandao, Bryan, Galbraith

I assume that James, Welbeck, Macheda, Curran, Brady, Drinkwater are all on international duty.
That's a shocking result Tony.

Are City really so much better than us at Youth level? Do they tend to get the better talents at this age group? I can't see that they have better facilities or better coaching, so I assume they are getting better players initally?

Mr. MUJAC

That's a shocking result Tony.

Are City really so much better than us at Youth level? Do they tend to get the better talents at this age group? I can't see that they have better facilities or better coaching, so I assume they are getting better players initally?
Just one of those days I think.......we seemed to freeze and didn't really compete at all. Not sure why as City didn't look a classy team...but they worked much harder than us.....

....write it off as a blip!

Unfortunate that the blip happened against City during Munich remembrance week!

since 1987

Founder and Chairman of the Kill Sjarkus Club. Oth
Just one of those days I think.......we seemed to freeze and didn't really compete at all. Not sure why as City didn't look a classy team...but they worked much harder than us.....

....write it off as a blip!

Unfortunate that the blip happened against City during Munich remembrance week!
What does Citeh have that we doesnt have? It seems like they have been picking up a lot of talents the latest years? (Richards, Sturridge, Onuha, Johnson) and new their youth team is top of the table and have been for all of the season? Maybe u can explain why MRMUFC? a mean i thought we had good youth players..

oskarutd

Brady and James are.
Drinkwater does miss some u-18s match, so I don´t think is away on international duty. Welbeck most likely will be used for the reserves against City in the MSC on thursday.

BezsMaracas

What does Citeh have that we doesnt have? It seems like they have been picking up a lot of talents the latest years? (Richards, Sturridge, Onuha, Johnson) and new their youth team is top of the table and have been for all of the season? Maybe u can explain why MRMUFC? a mean i thought we had good youth players..
Didn't catch the game today but from what I've seen of City's recent academy sides, they have always looked far more physically developed than our players at similar ages. It could be that they are scouting out kids who are stonger / taller for their age group rather than more technically gifted, although that is over-simplifying it I'm sure.

Mr. MUJAC

Not sure what you mean?

We do have good players!!

Richards was poached by City from Oldham so they can't exactly get too much credit for his development.....although he is clearly a good player.

Sturridge has played less than a handful of games so let's not put him in the 'great player' category just yet...

...while Johnson and Onuha have done well when they have come into the team...

It all goes in cycles.....City have produced a few good players and had a good result today.....

I think you need to look at the bigger picture before making any big statements.....

Finally......would Ireland, Sturridge, Johnson, Onuha get into our team?

What is a good youth policy for City is not a good policy for us!!!!

Mr. MUJAC

Didn't catch the game today but from what I've seen of City's recent academy sides, they have always looked far more physically developed than our players at similar ages. It could be that they are scouting out kids who are stonger / taller for their age group rather than more technically gifted, although that is over-simplifying it I'm sure.
Not far short of the mark! We were more outmuscled and outfought than outclassed!:(

RedPhil1957

Spot on, also I believe the CB pair are quite inexperienced; at least Fergie expressed doubts about that when asked before his hopes for youth cup success before the tie against Carlisle.

PS18

think that's pretty much nail on head. there might be a couple of exceptions but most of the players they've brought through have been reasonably limited technically, but excellent athletes (the younger Wright-Phillips, Miller, Onuoha, even Richards i'd put in there). they're always going to excel among their peers but academy league results are far from the be-all and end-all at United whereas City seem to place a lot of importance on them.