U18s - West Brom vs Manchester United

In Rainbows

Steady now. You want him to get battered by some of the hacks in the U23s?
If that's the logic, we might as well remove Gomes and Chong from that level to preserve their fitness. Greenwood isn't small like Gomes, and it's not premature for him to be promoted considering the time he spent last season for the u18s.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
If that's the logic, we might as well remove Gomes and Chong from that level to preserve their fitness. Greenwood isn't small like Gomes, and it's not premature for him to be promoted considering the time he spent last season for the u18s.
Remember the serious injury Chong got?
Gomes is older

Case rested

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Another good move from United, could have been 5-3. United far and away the better team at the moment.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I would be more worried about Ricky Sbragia coaching him.

AltiUn

West Brom are coming at us in waves, they'll have 10 minutes of sitting back then 5 minutes of throwing everyone forward, rinse and repeat.

In Rainbows

Remember the serious injury Chong got?
Gomes is older

Case rested
Age has nothing to do with anything in regards to a promotion to the u23s. What matters is whether Greenwood has proven he is above the u18 level with the caveat that he's physically mature enough. He clearly is and he clearly keeps proving that last season was a very very strong indicator that he had outgrown that level.

I would be more worried about Ricky Sbragia coaching him.
This is more relevant than hacking from u23 players. To this point, it's just more evidence that Sbragia needs to be sacked if we're worried that his coaching will be a detriment to our player's development. I mean, that's the whole point of our youth coaches.

AltiUn

United win 4-3, who needs defending anyway.

redom

Pretty dominant second half from United really, well deserved win.

Mozox

What are exactly Mason Greenwood's statistics? Where can I find them (young players stats)?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For me, Greenwood can’t be a million miles from the first team squad, let alone the 23s. We have one proper centre forward, and he looked good in pre-season.

An injury to Lukaku and he’s on the bench I reckon.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
For me, Greenwood can’t be a million miles from the first team squad, let alone the 23s. We have one proper centre forward, and he looked good in pre-season.

You think he's just going to hurdle over Rashford, Martial, and Sanchez? There is pretty much no chance of him making the bench. Other than possibly a meaningless game just to integrate him.

Thiagoal

I agree he is a rolls Royce of a footballer! Would love to see him right of a three man attack with Lukaku and Alexis!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You think he's just going to hurdle over Rashford, Martial, and Sanchez? There is pretty much no chance of him making the bench. Other than possibly a meaningless game just to integrate him.
‘Hurdle over Rashford, Martial and Sanchez’ who are already in the squad? Ffs!

Litch

Greenwood is 16, what a talent if he continues to develop....

AltiUn

I agree he is a rolls Royce of a footballer! Would love to see him right of a three man attack with Lukaku and Alexis!
Don't think you'll ever see that.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

He needs to bulk up and I assume at 16 he is still growing. He needs to grow into his body after he stops growing.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
How many capable strikers do we need in the squad? Not 4. He isn't making the bench. Ffs!

Rashford is suspended. Why isn't he on the bench?
If we need to find another striker, obviously excluding he ones we already have, he’s likely next up. He’s no less likely to make out bench that Rashford was at his age. An injury or two is all.

He’s not on the bench today as the manager feels we have enough. Perhaps one more injury then. Regardless, him jumping over Rashford, Martial and Sanchez is not what’s i said.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
If we need to find another striker, obviously excluding he ones we already have, he’s likely next up. He’s no less likely to make out bench that Rashford was at his age. An injury or two is all.

He’s not on the bench today as the manager feels we have enough. Perhaps one more injury then. Regardless, him jumping over Rashford, Martial and Sanchez is not what’s i said.
Rashford never made the bench at 16 or 17 so not being less likely doesn't mean anything because he never made the bench.

We don't need to find another option because there is already 4 of them there for 1 spot. You've said one injury and he'll be on the bench which is quite obviously not the case.

AltiUn

ALmost afraid to say this because apparently we hype up academy products too much on here but Greenwood really looks like the real deal.
To be fair, every club in the world likes to hype up their youth players. What I like about Greenwood is that aside from being good at the usual highlight reel plays, he has excellent end product, something that a lot of players tend to develop later. Not only is his finishing very good but he's also a very good crosser and his passing and vision are both great, having players constantly willing to run past him for the overlap really suits him.

mav_9me

2 goals and 2 assists. He is clearly too good for this level. I would definitely push him up to the U-23 and get him time on the bench in the league cup.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
He's really complete, hope we develop him into a United quality no9, needs to make the good step up to senior football and then luck with injuries because he has it all

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Rashford never made the bench at 16 or 17 so not being less likely doesn't mean anything because he never made the bench.

We don't need to find another option because there is already 4 of them there for 1 spot. You've said one injury and he'll be on the bench which is quite obviously not the case.
Rashford made the squad at 17.

And there are 4 of them for 3 spots, they are not exclusively strikers. If one of them starts upfront, at least one more will be on the wing at the same time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Actually, he turned 18 a month before.

I guess our injuries struck after his birthday.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Just watching the replay on MUTV. Greenwood is really coming on, what a baller. When he ended that West Brom winger's career by putting it through his legs on about the 80 minute mark! :eek::lol:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Also, MUTV being racist to little ginger white men calling Galbraith McGhee all game. :lol:

Ballache

Supports
Martial
And break him psychologically or kill off his confidence when he will fail a lot more at two levels up?
Wow ok...didn't know he was a delicate flower. 17 year olds get promoted all the time, he probably already trains with the first team and I wouldn't mind if we start giving him minutes here and there.
Nobody is expecting him to start and star for us week in week out.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Wow ok...didn't know he was a delicate flower. 17 year olds get promoted all the time, he probably already trains with the first team and I wouldn't mind if we start giving him minutes here and there.
Nobody is expecting him to start and star for us week in week out.
Remember Possebon?