U18s: Wolves 1-2 United | Premier League North Champions!

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Adam Lawrence:
Yeah of course I'm very proud and it was a nice moment yesterday [last Tuesday] when you see the boys happy and celebrating together, really good atmosphere amongst each other, obviously it's fantastic. So yeah, when you look across the season's work, the progress of the group individually and collectively, all the departments, all the support staff around it, the coaches that have worked with the lads to get to that point - just a brilliant moment for the whole academy really.

A lot of the players have obviously been with us for a number of years so it's important that we understand the all work that's gone on before to then get to that point. Then it's just a continued part of their journey and stuff, but [it's] a nice moment for everyone, definitely.

As a coach of course when you get to that point and the players have achieved what they have achieved, it's a nice moment and it's great to have shared that with them. It has been a real pleasure for myself and Colin [Little] and the staff that have worked with the lads throughout the season, to share the journey with them. I guess when you've been coaching for as long as we have, you understand that of course it is an important part of that journey but it is exactly that, it's just a part of the journey. So we don't want this to be the pinnacle of their careers, we want them to go on and achieve bigger and more successful things individually, and progress as a group, but definitely - it's a nice milestone and on a personal note as well, it's really nice to share that with them, definitely.

top1whoisman

Scout
Colin Little:
The players are the ones who have to go out on the field and play and achieve what they did, so I'm really proud of them. We've done it the right way and we've made sure everyone is developing, getting the right amount of minutes on the pitch and giving them the right experiences, if you like. The staff has been great as well, there's a real camaraderie around the whole of the PDP [Professional Development Program] really. It's sort of like one group of players between the 21s and the 18s, sorting teams out on a weekend.

It's a pleasure to work with them kind of people. I'm lucky enough to have been here for a while now and you don't get here unless you've got some exceptional qualities. There's some top coaches here and top people. To work with them is a pleasure. I enjoy coming in to work with them, and when you're winning as well it makes it a bit better. To the outside world that means you're doing well, but you don't always have to be winning to be doing well. Some of your best players are playing higher or whatever, or it can even be with the first team.

In the 18s it's not always a level playing field. You don't know what team you're going to get most weeks. But we've been pretty consistent in how we've gone about it, I think it's been quite good, yeah.

I'm very, very lucky to have been here with some of the players who are now with the first team and the staff I've learned so much off. It [having a good group of players going through the academy] is one of the pleasing parts of the job. You get to see in very close quarters people progressing and becoming really good players. Kobbie for example in the first team this year. Some of them are a bit slower and take a little longer to get there and some of them don't quite get there. But it's a privilege to have watched and tried to have helped out with it. But yeah it's a good group there.

The year sort of starts with pre-season and then you go to a couple of tournaments. By the time you come back from the tournaments it's a bit of a bond and camaraderie if you like and that can get you through some parts of the season when you're struggling or it's becoming a bit difficult. Getting back from Zagreb we've been on a real forward momentum. It's been great. You set out to win games but it's not the be-all and end-all, because like I said before you don't know what kind of team you're always going to be able to put out and you don't know what team the opposition is going to put out.

But when you do look back at it "oh we've just won the last 10 games" - it creeps up on you if you like and that's what it should be instead of it being the other way around when it's all about winning all your games. Of course we want to win but we want to make sure everyone gets developed at the same time.

top1whoisman

Scout
Apparently if and when Chelsea win the U18 Premier League South, the final will be played at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday 14 May in an evening game.

saik

Apparently if and when Chelsea win the U18 Premier League South, the final will be played at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday 14 May in an evening game.
Any particular reason why it's going to be at Stamford Bridge or is it just random?

top1whoisman

Scout
Any particular reason why it's going to be at Stamford Bridge or is it just random?
No idea. It was at the Etihad last season and at St. Mary’s the season before.

A neutral venue would be nice but as an experience playing away sounds good to me as we already played a final at home this season.

Perhaps it should be the club that finishes with most points in the North/South table that gets to play the final at a home venue but it’s not that big of a deal. Good experience for the boys.

Last edited:

stealthy

Maybe it gets alternated between north then south, pity not at Old Trafford as we are one of the few clubs that get decent crowds. Apparently about 20 fans plus parents turned up for last years final at the emptyhad. Be interesting what turn out they get for FAYC final, probably be more away fans