U18s Youth Cup - Manchester United vs Brighton

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
At Leigh Sports Village
Kick off 7 PM
Live on MUTV

Manchester United face Brighton & Hove Albion in the FA Youth Cup fourth round at Leigh Sports Village tonight (Monday), with the 19:00 GMT kick-off live on MUTV.

Neil Ryan’s youngsters knocked holders Chelsea out in the previous round, thanks to a thrilling 4-3 triumph, but are wary of the challenge posed by the Seagulls, who compete in a different division given their southern location and overcame West Ham United at the first hurdle.

The home side will hope to have virtually a full squad to select from and performed well in a first outing after the winter break, when beating Stoke City 4-1 at Clayton Wood last week.
The competition has always been hugely important for the club, with United still the record winners of the trophy with 10 (one clear of Chelsea with nine), but there is hope the boys can impress, despite the pressure and spotlight.

“There are a couple of injuries still in the group but they’re coming back and we’re looking quite strong and fit. Touch wood, everyone will be okay and we’ll have a couple of players to come back. There's great competition for places in the group and we have a lot of games coming our way. It’s what we want for the boys – to have these exciting cup and league games and it’s an exciting period of time for them.”

The match against Brighton is being shown live on MUTV, with build-up starting at 18:30 GMT this evening (Monday).
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/fa-youth-cup-fourth-round-preview-man-utd-v-brighton

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Very excited by this fixture. Beating Chelsea in the last round should fill this team with so much confidence, we should fancy beating anyone now. From the little I know of them, Brighton are no pushovers, this'll be another big test.

db-hero

Todays starting eleven:
Thompson
Puigmal Bernard Mengi Williams
Galbraith Garner Traore
Levitt Mellor Greenwood

lysglimt

Scout
I am actually more looking forward to this one than the first team - I can more enjoy this game, with the first team I am too nervous to really enjoy it :)

Classical Mechanic

How are Liverpool's team in the competition? They're top of the u18 league at the moment.
They are strong too. They have Dixon-Bonner, Hoever, Gerard’s cousin Bobby Duncan (I’ve never rated him but he’s banging them in this season), Glatzel and Jones. If Jones plays in the FA youth cup I’m not sure as he’s u23s and on the fringes of the first team.

lysglimt

Scout
The other matches:
Stoke - Everton 2-2 (1-3 pen)
Gillingham - Ipswich 1-2
Hull - Wigan 2-6
Aston Villa - Reading 4-1
Leicester - Crewe 4-0
Derby - Sheffield United 3-0
Oxford - Bournemouth 0-3
WBA - QPR 5-1
Arsenal - Tottenham 5-2
Watford - Southampton 2-1
Peterborough - Bury 0-1
Crystal Palace - Bolton 2-4
Man City - Nottingham 4-1

Later today
Liverpool - Accrington

Tomorrow
Preston - Norwich

Unfortunately we have a tough draw if we win today - Everton away

AltiUn

They are strong too. They have Dixon-Bonner, Hoever, Gerard’s cousin Bobby Duncan (I’ve never rated him but he’s banging them in this season), Glatzel and Jones. If Jones plays in the FA youth cup I’m not sure as he’s u23s and on the fringes of the first team.
Ah right cheers, Hoever's the one that played in the first team recently isn't he? Yeah that is quite a good set of players. Jones is meant to be excellent from what I've heard. If we get through tonight's game I'd like to meet up with them at some point.

Also, starting XI has been announced:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Will watch this - outside of the obvious Greenwood and Garner. Any others got a chance making it here?

AltiUn

Will watch this - outside of the obvious Greenwood and Garner. Any others got a chance making it here?
Traore’s very good and Williams is a very exciting full back, dunno if he’ll make it here but I love watching him play. Levitt’s having a very good season too.

lysglimt

Scout
What a freekick from Garner - smacked against the crossbar from 25 yards

AltiUn

Don’t care if it’s the first tackle of the game, textbook yellow. Garner hits the bar from the resulting free kick.

AltiUn

Brighton hit the bar, now have a penalty, push in the back from Traore. Brighton score, dreadful start.

AltiUn

That’s a fecking yellow, we’re gonna lose this because they’re allowed to foul Greenwood with no repercussions, killing all of our attacks. Disgraceful refereeing.

Thank feck for James Garner willing to snap them back, good lad.

AltiUn

2-0, mountain to climb.

In Rainbows

Bad pass from Galbraith made it really easy to get the ball from Greenwood

lysglimt

Scout
Garner and Traore probably having the worst 15 minutes of their career

lysglimt

Scout
Traore’s always like that, doesn’t usually switch on till half time.
Even by his standards - creating a penalty at the edge of the box when a defender has his back to the goal - is stupid

AltiUn

Brighton finally have a player booked for bringing down Greenwood (Lopata?) if I were a betting man I’d wager he’ll get a red card, he’s shit.

AltiUn

Brighton look like they’re going to score with every opportunity, Mengi and Bernard don’t fill me with any confidence. Puigmal needs to start trying to take on his man, every time he receives it he keeps going backwards.