U21s: Everton v United

Glorio

Where is Hannibal by the way? I looked out for him in the senior training videos and he was missing. Made me wonder if he was playing for the U21s, but that's obviously not the case.

bludsucker

We seem to be pressing them well. Created a couple of decent opportunities by winning the ball high up.

Gandalf

Where is Hannibal by the way? I looked out for him in the senior training videos and he was missing. Made me wonder if he was playing for the U21s, but that's obviously not the case.
Lot of talk that he was joining Birmingham on loan earlier in the week so possibly being held out to avoid a repeat of the Amad situation last season when we had agreed the loan to Feyenoord and he was injured in training right before he was due to leave.

Glorio

Lot of talk that he was joining Birmingham on loan earlier in the week so possibly being held out to avoid a repeat of the Amad situation last season when we had agreed the loan to Feyenoord and he was injured in training right before he was due to leave.
Ah ... Fair enough, and thanks.

Pretty sure some of the clubs we're negotiating with for players could actually use him (on loan). The boy is immensely talented and I feel he could do a job for our first team personally. Incidentally that's based mostly on gut feel than anything concrete as he hasn't really had chances at senior level

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Everton have pulled a goal back and it's currently 1-2 in favour of United.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
These Everton commentators are just so full of well researched info!

"Is it called a scorpion? I think that's what they call it. I think I remember someone doing one in the Premier league once."

lysglimt

Scout
Going forward we look good - defensively we are a disaster

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
These Everton commentators are just so full of well researched info!

"Is it called a scorpion? I think that's what they call it. I think I remember someone doing one in the Premier league once."
I know the MUTV commentators get a lot of criticism, but compared to all other fan channels I've heard our lot are regular Brian Moores

lysglimt

Scout
This team is too weak against physical sides - thats the price we have to pay for playing a young side

lysglimt

Scout
The age difference between these sides is ridiculous. We have 2 outfield players who have turned 19 - the rest are 17 or 18.

Everton have 2 players who are 21 and 2 players who are 20 and 3 players who are 19.

lysglimt

Scout
As long as we had the energy to put pressure on Everton we were well on top - once the energy went, they took over.

avgp_1

Mainoo been our best player, only one who has looked up for the duels

lysglimt

Scout
For those not watching the game - a really good first 20-25 minutes from United where we scored twice. First a strike from Jurado after som neat build-up play down the left, the cross was headed into the path of Jurado who controller the ball and guided the ball into the bottom corner. The second goal was brilliant - Mainoo with a sublime ball over the defense - Hansen Aaroen took the ball on his chest and chipped it over the advancing goalkeeper.

Tom Cannon then scored twice for Everton - first a rocket into the far corner after a clever ball into his path. The second was a cross from the left which he headed home from about the penalty spot. We should have done better on both occations - several players were too passive at the first goal, and Jurado didn't do enough to block the cross. Cannon also had a shot brilliantly saved with his foot by Bishop.

Everton by far the best side after the break and had a few huge chances to score.

But as I said earlier in the thread, Everton had a much more experienced side. Kyle John and Joe Anderson in defense are both 21 years old, left back McKenzie Hunt and midfielder Seb Quirk both turn 21 in 3 months. Warrington, McAllister and Cannon all turn 20 later this year. Compare that to Fredrikson, Mainoo, Hansen Aaroen and Gore who are all 17 (Gore and Hansen Aaroen both turn 18 in the next couple of months) and Forson, Jurado, McNeil and Bennett who are all 18.

So considering our team was almost 2 years younger on average, I thought they stood up really well - especially when you look at how many players who could have played today but were missing due to loans, injuries or being considered for the first team: Fish, Fernandez, Kambwala, Mejia, Garnacho, Laird, Mengi, Wellens, Iqbal, Galbraith, Collyer, Ennis, Emeran, Hugill, Mather, Murray, Norkett and Shoretire (there are probably a few I forgot)

Beaucoup

We like to get wrapped up in our own academy, but pretty much man for man Everton had better players in every position and played better football over the course of 90 mins

lysglimt

Scout
We like to get wrapped up in our own academy, but pretty much man for man Everton had better players in every position and played better football over the course of 90 mins
Yes because Everton made a choice to play an experienced side whereas we played a young side to get them experience against better players from a young age. If we had wanted we could field 11 other players who are better than the ones who played yesterday - but some are injured, some are being considered for loan, some are already on loan - and some didn't play

Take the team below - the average of those players are about the same as Everton had yesterday - I doubt they would struggle against yesterdays Everton-team.

Vitek - Fernandez, Mengi, Fish, Laird - Garner, Hannibal, Iqbal - Garnacho, Hugill, Shoretire

Or to put it like this - when we beat Everton in the FA Youth Cup about 6 months ago - we started 7 of the same players who started yesterday, Everton had 2 - Reece Welsh and Isaac Price

Thiagoal

It’s quite common seeing poor results at the start of the season as the young lads take time to adjust to the greater physicality that U21’s football entails. The clear standout for me yesterday was yet again Mainoo who let’s not forget has just turned 17 and was arguably the best player on the pitch in the first half.

Mickson

Pretty much the same problems as last season: can't defend. An entertaining game overall, though. We played some good attacking football at times. Too bad Forson couldn't use his pace and get past the left-back, otherwise, we would've scored more. His decision-making is so so. Mainoo, Gore and Hansen top IMO.

lysglimt

Scout
Pretty much the same problems as last season: can't defend. An entertaining game overall, though. We played some good attacking football at times. Too bad Forson couldn't use his pace and get past the left-back, otherwise, we would've scored more. His decision-making is so so. Mainoo, Gore and Hansen top IMO.
I am not convinced about Hansen - he has the ability but his decision-making and focus at times is questionable. During the first 8 minutes yesterday he made 3 what we can call "unforced errors" - and a few minutes later he failed with an easy pass which would have put us two on one with the goalie. But then he does the stuff he did with the goal - which was world-class.