U21s: Spurs vs United

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Oyedele really should be a leader at this level. So far the rest of that front four have been much better.

saik

Biancheri with 2 good chances to score - misses both. Poor
I'd say the first one was a good save. He didn't have much time to adjust his body and get a shot away.

Second one was much more easier and should have done more with it.

top1whoisman

Scout
HT 2-2

After a difficult start there’s so much to be happy about. Very energetic performance from a young United team against a very good Spurs side.

top1whoisman

Scout
Think the performance so far also shows that it’s not been 100% because of coaching and tactics why we’ve looked slow and poor in a lot of the U21 games. Personnel makes a huge difference too. Love how we’re pressing them.

top1whoisman

Scout
Very good start to the second half. Our high press causing them a lot of problems.

top1whoisman

Scout
62’

Devaney on for McAllister.

A good hour to highlight some things he needs to improve on. Most likely a pre-planned sub to keep the skipper fresh for Tuesday.

Last edited:

saik

Our pressing has been very good this half. Not giving Spurs a single moment on the ball.

top1whoisman

Scout
70’

United so close to taking the lead. Williams could’ve perhaps got a pen but decided to stay on his feet. A very strong 25 minutes from the reds.

saik

Under hit corner and an over hit cross from Williams in the same phase of play. :lol:

saik

Poor pass from Williams gives the ball away for Spurs whose shot is well saved by Mee.

lysglimt

Scout
We have been poor in front of goal - we should have had 4-5 goals

top1whoisman

Scout
I truly hope we keep on playing a younger side in the last U21 games. Play the strongest possible U18 team for the finals but other than that give some minutes for some of the U16s in the PL North matches.

lysglimt

Scout
I truly hope we keep on playing a younger side in the last U21 games. Play the strongest possible U18 team for the finals but other than that give some minutes for some of the U16s in the PL North matches.
Yup - this actually looks like a team - unlike the usual players we see here

top1whoisman

Scout
Perhaps as expected, the subs kind of destroyed our rhythm and at the moment the home team looks like the ones more likely to get the winner.

top1whoisman

Scout
89’

Malachi Sharpe replaces Maxi Oyedele who was pretty underwhelming today. U21s debut for Sharpe too.

top1whoisman

Scout
FT 2-2

It says something about the performance of this team when you kind of feel disappointed in drawing away against the best team in the competition.

Anyway plenty of positives. Mee + the whole defense very good, especially after the start. Scanlon & Biancheri dangerous, a decent game from Williams too.

Last edited:

Borninthe80ts

Wish I could have watched the game as it sounds like the young lads did well. I was expecting we would see a few more under 18s play up but a full team was surprising. Like has been said I think are looking to go down the route of playing the best performing under 18s up a level more regularly, and hopefully it helps acclimating.

Maybe some of the under 21 regulars lost motivation and hunger as this sounds like the energy that’s been missing at this level. Still think there’s some talent there but maybe a move like Kovar or Gomes is needed for some.

Anyway good to see more positives from this group of players.

Gungerz

Malachai Sharpe's debut yesterday made him the 48th different player used by our 21s this season. Only Stoke City & Blackburn (49 each) have used more in PL2 than us.

The two sides with the least players used are Spurs (29) and West Ham (26), and maybe unsuprisingly they are 1st and 2nd respectively.

dutchred

It says a lot for the quality of this team that they were better than an older team top of the table.
The under 21 league is not very competitive so I hope that some of the kids get a good loan deal. Would love to see some of them in Holland and maybe Nice

inflikted

Supports
Europa Point FC
It says a lot for the quality of this team that they were better than an older team top of the table.
The under 21 league is not very competitive so I hope that some of the kids get a good loan deal. Would love to see some of them in Holland and maybe Nice
Lausanne-Sport also an option as Ratcliffe owns them too. Not as high a level as Nice but would still give vital experience that could help them, like when Kovar went to Sparta Prague.