U21s squad for next season 2016-2017?

eitoof

DJ Buffonge already signed a pro deal so he's on the pro list under the name "McIntosh-Buffonge, Darren Raekwon".

Sang is an academy student not scholar.Travis Johnson was released (in fact he didn't play football anymore).
Thanks for that - missed Buffonge under his different name. When was Johnson released?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I am not sure if it has been mentioned here but next year 16 Premier League u-21 teams will be entered into the EFL Trophy (formerly Johnstone's Paint Trophy) against League one and two sides.

Personally I think this is a good idea, it will give the younger players of Premier League clubs some experience of competitive football and will hopefully add a little interest back to the competition. Certainly for my club almost every season we play a weakened team in this competition, maybe the new format will change that. The club was also strongly in favour as they see it as a good chance to attract Premier League fans to the ground.

What do people here think? Surely more competitive football can only be seen as a good thing.
Nice to see a lower league fan looking at it positively, all I've seen is fans complaining about it. I think it is great news, especially from our perspective and will be a great learning experience for young players. U21s football just isn't the same as senior football and friendlies against senior sides are at the end of the day friendlies so to have at least 3 guaranteed competitive matches against senior sides will be a great experience. I'm really looking forward to it and seen as B teams are never going to be in the league system then this is a great compromise.

We draw quite a big crowd for our u21s, bigger than many league 1/2 clubs so I'm sure we should draw some decent sized crowds for actual competitive matches. The u21s are usually free entry though, so having to pay for tickets might cut some of them out.

goatkrusher

Supports
colchester
@limerickcitykid I think it is an interesting idea, certainly worth a trial for one season. I think the issue some fans have is that they see it as a step towards u21 teams entering the league system.

For this competition I have no problems, we are playing 46 games in a league season so lots of teams choose to rest players for this competition anyway. As you mentioned there is a bonus of getting extra fans in, Premier League fans may come along to watch the u21s, enjoy the game and decide to keep coming back.

I also think a few fans may be surprised by the quality of football, the strength of the Premier League has had a big trickle down effect.

jb8521

Yeah Doughty is getting a new 1 year deal. I can't say who it is yet because the deal at his new club isn't completed but 1 of the lads who people expect to move up from the u18s is close to leaving
The player I was talking about was Reid by the way

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Guys who know better: Is there any chance Angel Gomes might represent U21 already next season? He seems strong/physical enough and he won’t lack in other talent.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Guys who know better: Is there any chance Angel Gomes might represent U21 already next season? He seems strong/physical enough and he won’t lack in other talent.
Strong? He was pretty small last time I saw him...he's not yet outgrown the U18s as far as I'm concerned. Maybe a few sub appearances for the U21s wouldn't be ridiculous I suppose depending on how many games they end up playing.

Leonard17

I dont know better lol, but in my opinion I think it depends tbh. He has Gribbin, Buffonge, Boonen that can all play similar position as him, are older and that's just in the u18s. However, we lack strikers in the u21's (u18s also imo) so if Joyce wants to have different options on the bench, he might get a chance, but I don't see it happening until later in the season. You have to remember he's still 15, so it's still very early, the talent is there however, clearly. Hopefully one of the 3 I mentioned above make the step up soon, I think it'll be Buffonge 1st or Gribbin if he can find form early in the season after his injury.

top1whoisman

Scout
Strong? He was pretty small last time I saw him...he's not yet outgrown the U18s as far as I'm concerned. Maybe a few sub appearances for the U21s wouldn't be ridiculous I suppose depending on how many games they end up playing.
Relatively strong, I guess is what I meant. He’s small but seems to have a low center of gravity (correct term?) and I could see him being smart enough to be able to play against older players.

top1whoisman

Scout
I dont know better lol, but in my opinion I think it depends tbh. He has Gribbin, Buffonge, Boonen that can all play similar position as him, are older and that's just in the u18s. However, we lack strikers in the u21's (u18s also imo) so if Joyce wants to have different options on the bench, he might get a chance, but I don't see it happening until later in the season. You have to remember he's still 15, so it's still very early, the talent is there however, clearly. Hopefully one of the 3 I mentioned above make the step up soon, I think it'll be Buffonge 1st or Gribbin if he can find form early in the season after his injury.
Aye, was probably more hoping than expecting that to happen :wenger:

khoazany

Despite Fletcher,Rothwell and Reid left we still have many players with experience at this level.Might hear news about the likes of Love/El-Fitouri soon.Have a feeling we will make place for Warren now he's on Jose's "long-term plan" and Osolunde so no point keeping those players.Warren,Osolunde,Riley,Scott and CBJ playing odd games for fullback should be enough.Wouldn't rule out the chance of Weir involving vs. Wigan although I'm not really a fan of him.

khoazany

Heard Port Vale is close on signing a midfielder "who can play on the wing" from us on loan.Would be surprised if it's not James Weir.

Sid234

Heard Port Vale is close on signing a midfielder "who can play on the wing" from us on loan.Would be surprised if it's not James Weir.
About time he went out on loan. Not going to gain much more from playing with the U-21's

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Looks like there'll be no further loan.We never learn.
So no chance of Harrop, Riley, and Weir going on loan? What a waste. Harrop is too talented to be wasting away like that and I think Riley is a bit of a wildcard. Not really heralded as a top talent but I think he has the potential to be a great fullback. Would love to see him out on loan playing regular first team football.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If it were up to me Weir would definitely be on loan but I think I'd make Riley 2nd choice RB. Who knows, maybe that's what Jose has in mind.

khoazany

If it were up to me Weir would definitely be on loan but I think I'd make Riley 2nd choice RB. Who knows, maybe that's what Jose has in mind.
Riley seems to be the first one to get a call when Jose needs someone from the U23s for first team training.Has plenty of times to impress the manager and he proved last year that he could step up to senior football quite comfortably.I would have sent him on loan though, we have too many fullback options at the moment.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Riley seems to be the first one to get a call when Jose needs someone from the U23s for first team training.Has plenty of times to impress the manager and he proved last year that he could step up to senior football quite comfortably.I would have sent him on loan though, we have too many fullback options at the moment.
Is there a reason Goss is not in the squad you have listed in the OP?
Did we sign the Striker that was linked to us a few days back? Lewin, If I am not mistaken.

khoazany

Is there a reason Goss is not in the squad you have listed in the OP?
Did we sign the Striker that was linked to us a few days back? Lewin, If I am not mistaken.
I expected both him and Harrop to go on loan and no.

Leonard17

Thanks.

Anyone in particular to watch out for in this season's U23's besides Tuanzebe, Williams & Riley?
Maybe some of the older u18s, some are already part of the squad like Gribbin, Dearnley (both injured atm) and some will surely move up. Will be interesting to see how they adapt.

khoazany

Thanks.

Anyone in particular to watch out for in this season's U23's besides Tuanzebe, Williams & Riley?
Expect Willock to step up and become the key man in midfield.Osolunde and Warren at this level would be interesting to see.Hopefully Gribbin will play regularly at this level after January.

Devil may care

A bit surprised Weir was sold as he's been playing as the striker for the U21's and we haven't brought anyone in.