U21s: United vs. Arsenal

MDFC Manager

I have to say, Brown, McGinty, Thorpe, Tunnicliffe etc may not be potential world beaters, but their work rate, determination, and bravery speaks for itself.
Thorpe looked decent enough and i reckon Tunnicliffe will go on to be at least a championship player.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Scrappy second half, good game. Some moments of real class from Januzaj.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I have to say, Brown, McGinty, Thorpe, Tunnicliffe etc may not be potential world beaters, but their work rate, determination, and bravery speaks for itself.
Thorpe's a cultured young player, mate.

Cevno

Tunnicliffe is already a Championship player. There were a plethora of clubs who wanted him on loan there.

He'll make the premiership, i think at some stage. Lower level.

Rate Thorpe too. He needs a loan, imo. Hasn't gone anywhere at all which is odd.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
FT 2-2. Probably fair in the end. Neither side created much second half.

We tired in that half. We didn't have a striker and Powell in particular who was out of position and has just come back from injury and lacks games started to feel it. Heavy pitch didn't help either. Januzaj, Lingard, Powell and Vermijl were all class. The whole team defended well really.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
We didn't had a striker and it showed in the second half.

Cevno

Was it just me or Powell who was already a big lad when he came here, has filled out more and almost started to resemble Lampard ? :p

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Peter what's the story with Henderson, he look good?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Probably about right, though second Man Utd goal should have been chalked off. Eisfeld and Gnabry disappointing, Hayden looked useful.
Was disappointed from Gnabry. Heard a lot about him.
With United lad caught your eye?

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Peter what's the story with Henderson, he look good?
Too many injuries, did his cruciate a few times. Unfortunate for the lad, very talented and was one of the standouts in the group with Wilshere, Frimpong & Lansbury which won the youth cup a few years ago.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
He looked decent what I've seen of him, yeah he was skating around the first team a few seasons back, Roberts looks the more likely to make it from the Irish lads, he's only 18 and is a key player for Invernes on loan

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Barclays Under-21 Premier League
11 February 2013
Moss Lane, Altrincham

MANCHESTER UNITED 2
(Powell 15, Lingard 22)

ARSENAL 2
(Akpom 11,30)

U21s: United 2 Arsenal 2

United's Under-21s fought out an absorbing 2-2 draw with Arsenal at Moss Lane with all four goals coming inside the first half.

Nick Powell and Jesse Lingard scored for the Reds with Chuba Akpom netting twice for the North Londoners as the two teams put on an entertaining show on a tacky pitch.

A fast-paced opening failed to provide any real goalscoring openings, although Frederic Veseli fired in one dangerous centre and Reece Brown did well to block a Martin Angha cross at the other end. The first goal soon arrived, though, when United were guilty of conceding possession in the left-back area and Thomas Eisfeld's touch allowed Akpom to beat Michele Fornasier before ramming a near-post finish over Ben Amos.

The Reds' response was swift with Adnan Januzaj whipping in a left-wing free-kick after being fouled and Powell nipped in to nod home, even though Lukasz Fabianski got a hand to it. Isaac Hayden had to clear a Tom Thorpe header from a Januzaj corner as the hosts took a grip on proceedings.

On 22 minutes, a wonderful counter-attack strike edged United in front with Ryan Tunnicliffe releasing Powell, who showed great strength and patience to feed Januzaj and the Belgian's clever left-footed pass into the path of Lingard was finished stylishly by the winger.

After Thorpe was unable to convert a Januzaj free-kick, Tunnicliffe was desperately unlucky when his shot clipped the bar after good work by Lingard and Marnick Vermijl. Although the Reds looked in control, Arsenal hit back to level the scores on the half-hour mark. Conor Henderson's swerving shot deceived Amos and Akpom pounced on the rebound to net his second of the night.

Akpom escaped with a handball inside his own box and Serge Gnabry fired wide as the teams went in at the break at 2-2 with Sean McGinty replacing the injured Veseli. Things then became rather scrappy in the second half with both sides showing plenty of tenacity and aggression.

Henderson's free-kick flicked wide off the wall and Powell should have earned a penalty after being flattened inside the box by Sead Hajrovic. There was a scare at the other end when Amos clattered into Akpom as he chased his hat-trick with the keeper picking up a yellow card for catching the striker with his elbow.

Tunnicliffe was off target with an ambitious raking drive as United searched for a winner while Januzaj, Lingard and Powell continued to look bright going forward. However, the Gunners proved they were just as capable of scoring again when danger-man Akpom headed over the top from close range under pressure from McGinty.

Januzaj switched to the right flank and, looking at home at this level now, was unfortunate to see a drive deflect and loop behind the goal before the Belgian played McGinty in down the left and the left-back's attempted cross drifted dangerously onto the top of the net.

Lingard chipped a shot to Fabianski and Amos watched a Gnabry free-kick fly wide as the match remained all-square, which was probably a fair result in conclusion.

United: Amos; Veseli (McGinty 36), Fornasier, Brown, Vermijl; Januzaj, Thorpe, Tunnicliffe, Cole, Lingard; Powell. Subs not used: Sutherland, Blackett, Lawrence, Ekangamene.

prateik

I liked what I saw tonight too.. But I havent seen enough reserve team football this season.

jb8521

Thoughts on Vermijl?
Very consistent player. I said earlier in the season I thought he had a decent chance of making it ere if he could develop a bit physically and he seems to be filling out a bit now. His versatility gives him a better chance than other players as hes comfortable playing either full back position and on either wing

Cevno

He had bit of a disaster in the 1 first team game he played, but yeah has been pretty good for the U21's.

Better than Buttner even, when he's played this level.

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Was disappointed from Gnabry. Heard a lot about him.
With United lad caught your eye?
Gnabry's coming back from injury..did ok in spurts, capable of a whole lot better. Akpom & Hayden were very good today. Lower down Jack Jebb and Alex Iwobi (Jay Jay Okocha's nephew) are doing well. The two Barca boys Toral & Bellerin are there as well. Number 9 for you today looked a good talent with good awareness.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I thought Vermijl, Thorpe, Tunners, Lingard did well. Cole was a bit on the periphery but played okay I thought.

Amos could have done better with both goals...again only in my opinion.

Powell and Januzaj I was really impressed with.