U21s: United vs Arsenal

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Interesting reading some of the posts in this thread.
Didn't watch the game, was watching the Sunderland game, but do people not realise that the idea of Huddlestone being on the pitch is to basically coach on the pitch?

He is essentially a coach, he is organising so that the players on the pitch develop their positional sense and learn whilst playing.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Interesting reading some of the posts in this thread.
Didn't watch the game, was watching the Sunderland game, but do people not realise that the idea of Huddlestone being on the pitch is to basically coach on the pitch?

He is essentially a coach, he is organising so that the players on the pitch develop their positional sense and learn whilst playing.
I’m sure most understand that. Guess the discussion is about whether there’s enough additional value in that to have young players sat on the bench while an out-of-shape Huddlestone plays 90 minutes more often than not.

There absolutely are some positives into this arrangement, but I’m not sure why the situation is not open for debate, discussion or criticism.

lysglimt

Scout
Harrison more and more comes across as one of the most talented goalkeepers I have seen at this level - but it's also the hardest place to get a breakthrough in a topclub. Kambwala will be a top-player if he can stay injuryfree - but that is a BIG if.

Bigsid

Harrison more and more comes across as one of the most talented goalkeepers I have seen at this level - but it's also the hardest place to get a breakthrough in a topclub. Kambwala will be a top-player if he can stay injuryfree - but that is a BIG if.
Kabwala still cant be near top match fitness. Unfortunately goalkeepers will always be judged on mistakes and there have been a lot to choose from this year.

lysglimt

Scout
Kabwala still cant be near top match fitness. Unfortunately goalkeepers will always be judged on mistakes and there have been a lot to choose from this year.
A young goalkeeper will always make mistakes - even Schmeichel made some of the worst mistakes I have ever seen, but his strength was that he blamed it on someone else so his confidence was just as high 3 seconds afterwards.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He’s definitely the most modern archetype I’ve seen at this club. And mistakes like last night are all part of that. If you want a keeper to be a ball player then you need to accept a few goals due to that sort of error every season. Which is worth it for the overall positive effect on the team. We see this with Allison basically every season now.

lysglimt

Scout
He’s definitely the most modern archetype I’ve seen at this club. And mistakes like last night are all part of that. If you want a keeper to be a ball player then you need to accept a few goals due to that sort of error every season. Which is worth it for the overall positive effect on the team. We see this with Allison basically every season now.
My "favourite" was that swedish goalkeeper who played for the U18 one season a couple of years back. It was like the coaching staff had told him to always play out from the back - but only to play the ball to players who were surrounded by 2 opponents. I have never had my heart skip a beat so many times in 45 minutes as he did on his debut :)

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
My "favourite" was that swedish goalkeeper who played for the U18 one season a couple of years back. It was like the coaching staff had told him to always play out from the back - but only to play the ball to players who were surrounded by 2 opponents. I have never had my heart skip a beat so many times in 45 minutes as he did on his debut :)
Guadagno?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Really looking forward to seeing how he develops. He looks a very interesting prospect that looks to have ball playing ability.

Bondi77

It won't be long before GKs will need to be good dribblers as well as good passers of the ball.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I’m sure most understand that. Guess the discussion is about whether there’s enough additional value in that to have young players sat on the bench while an out-of-shape Huddlestone plays 90 minutes more often than not.

There absolutely are some positives into this arrangement, but I’m not sure why the situation is not open for debate, discussion or criticism.
I think the positives outweigh the negatives, we are clearly pursuing a policy of having young U18 and U21 groups, obviously nothing can be done about injecting overage experience into U18 games but if you have the chance to do it a U21 then I think you should take it, either at CB or CM, wherever you think you will be lightest over the course of the season.