U21s: United vs Leeds

Glorio

Good to see no-one's overreacting at all to a couple of games in August
Agreed, no one's overreacting. Folks are just commenting on a really entertaining game of football.

pascell

Disappointed by Hannibal, as I’m pretty sure the manager will be.
You can see he’s got talent but decision making still not good enough and he kinda lacks application. I’m not convinced by his overall attitude on the pitch
He won't make it here, we should look at selling him with a sell on clause and buy back.

Asger

You can see he’s got talent but decision making still not good enough and he kinda lacks application. I’m not convinced by his overall attitude on the pitch
I thought he played well. Him and Hansen and the keeper, the rest meh.

Bertie Wooster

Good to see no-one's overreacting at all to a couple of games in August
They've just been a continuation of last seasons efforts though - finishing 9th, winning just 6 out of 26 games, conceding most goals in the league. Now two games, two defeats this season, with the same flaws being evident - poor finishing, conceding too many soft / easy goals.

Last edited:

Glorio

Really dominant performance apart from both ends of the pitch. :lol:

Even though we scored when he left, IHA going off cost the boys some cohesion in the final third.

Hannibal was running the game until he completely gassed beyond the 80th minute. Still don't get Forson, but oh well.

Bertie Wooster

Thought Hannibal was great for the first 60-70 minutes. He seemed to tire after that and played a few loose passes, but overall thought it was a positive display from him.

Zed is not dead

Oh don’t get me wrongI think he played well too.

But for a youngster looking to get a chance in the first team, you can reasonably expect him to stand out in a U21 game.

But my concern was more about his overall attitude. Might just be me, but it looked like he felt he was too good for this so he didn’t give his all.

Edit: I might be wrong though, as this is very subjective analysis of his game

Glorio

But for a youngster looking to get a chance in the first team, you can reasonably expect him to stand out in a U21 game.

But my concern was more about his overall attitude. Might just be me, but it looked like he felt he was too good for this so he didn’t give his all.

Did you watch from the start? As if I caught the last 10 mins when he was dead on his feet, I'd think the same, however, before that, he was everywhere on the pitch, pressing, tackling, dribbling, spraying passes around.

I feel his next level is actually pacing himself, so as not to wear himself too much.

Ekeke

I thought he overall did well, working hard and lots of energy and running trying to drive the team fowrard with some leadership. But when it came to the technical skills and application he was just off making some of the passes he needed to and can make.

More of a great effort performance than one with technical skills on display that suggest he should be with the first team. He can do better, but he tried to make it happen

Ekeke

I think the exact opposite. He tried really hard, but his quality was a bit off and wasnt his day. Needs to be better than that look like he's the player we need in midfield rather than a new signing, but it wasnt due to a lack of effort

Zed is not dead

Did you watch from the start? As if I caught the last 10 mins when he was dead on his feet, I'd think the same, however, before that, he was everywhere on the pitch, pressing, tackling, dribbling, spraying passes around.

I feel his next level is actually pacing himself, so as not to wear himself too much.
I watched from middle of the first half.

Now as I said I’m not saying he was bad, not at all, he had a really good game.
What I’m saying is that for a player who wants a chance for a spot into the first team, really good is not good enough. The step is so big that to have an okay game for the first team you need to be outstanding in the U21 games.

Then again I know I tend to be demanding of talented players so my views may not be totally objective

Chinchy98

Apart from Hannibal and IHA, none of the lads looked like ever being close enough for the first team.

Leeds well organised & had real quality up top to finish their chances.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Apart from Hannibal and IHA, none of the lads looked like ever being close enough for the first team.

Leeds well organised & had real quality up top to finish their chances.
We had atleast 6-7 easy chances to score. Well organised :lol:

KevinJoh

While Binion looked like good coach last year, this U21 team looks like they are playing without any coaching. Not looking like a team at all. They are creating chances against very bad Leeds side, but it is all frantic, without a plan. Once they lose the ball, we are in problems as our defensive transition is non existing. Like we are team of 11 players that are not training together at all, which is probably the case with Hannibal, Gore and Forson probably with first team, Hansen, Hugill, Jurado with both teams, and the rest with reserves. Also, most of them probably looking for loan more than motivated to stay in reserves for another year.

I think only Hannibal, and potentially Gore and Hansen are looking like players with career at PL or CH level. Others just don't look good, nothing extraordinary, more like average talents without any significant treat at high level. Without that, at the age of 19 or 20, it is very hard to get a chance at top level and they will need years to get their body to the level to play pro football at lower level.

Of course, it is August, their heads are somewhere else, they did not train together, and they did create chances and on some other day score would be different, but for me it is not based just on this game.

Hannibal definitely should go somewhere to play regular football. He is a talent, he needs to develop especially his final ball and finishing, he needs to be more dangerous in the final third, but his technique and composure, playing in possession is on top level. I hope he can make it with United, but not much time for that. He is definitely not in TH plans for this year, and it will be interesting to see if we will sell him or loan him out again. I would like loan, but if that is my kid I would recommend permanent transfer and build somewhere where they can count on him for longer period. He can play in any top league, in mid table club for sure.

Gore and Hansen are good in my opinion, talents, but raw as expected. I would like to see them on loan somewhere where they can play every week.

Mengi after injury needs games, so I guess playing in reserves till January would be beneficial to get in form, as he proved he can play in CH. Jurado is one more that can be good with loan, but on RB, not on LB. His body is still not there for senior football. Oyedelle is also I think ready for loan, maybe League One or Two, better than playing out of position in reserves, and last year he proved the physicality of senior football is not a problem for him.

Others 18+, I really don't care, or see anything there. Maybe they can stay to get some experienced players in the team, but even if we sell them or loan them out, it is not big fuss.

khoazany

Feels like our U21s squad will be in quite an awkward situation throughout the season. We might need our injured players (Ennis, Mather, Kwambala, Fredricson, Bennetts) to be back. I would loan out Hansen if he's not used in the first team. Wonder if McKenna is interested in a player of his profile.

Suspect loans are being sorted out for Fernandez and Shola given their absence.