U21's: West Ham v Man United

Bertie Wooster

Tonight on MUTV, 7pm.

Team:
Vitek - Jurado, Bernard, Hardley, Murray - Collyer, Gore - Mejia, Hansen, Forson - Hugill.
Subs: Mastny, Aljofree, Huddlestone, Emeran, McNeill.

Bertie Wooster

West Ham have taken the lead inside the first 10 minutes.

They've been the better team - United been sloppy and overrun so far.

Bertie Wooster

HT: still 2-0 down.

United had plenty of possession in last 20 minutes - but I think that's mostly because West Ham sat back on their lead and looked to counter. Either way, United created absolutely nothing against a crowded defence and looked toothless. Not an enjoyable half to watch.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No Mainoo must mean he'll be with the squad Sunday?
Yeah, with Casemiro suspended he’ll definitely be on the bench I’d have thought
At his age you’d think he could easily handle, say, 45 minutes this evening and still be 100% to go on the bench on Sunday. He really needs as much football as possible against senior(ish) players.

Bertie Wooster

Goal back for United.
Hugill penalty, 52nd minute. After Murray was bundled over.
United have looked sharper so far.

Bertie Wooster

64 minutes: still 2-1 down.
But don't know how United failed to equalise just now. Shot from Forson from about 20 yards saved by keeper - Mejia had guilt edged follow up from about 3 yards, somehow keeper stuck out a boot and blocked it. Really should have scored.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The 2nd half has been a completely different football match compared to the first half. The midfielders and back line all have been more direct and incisive with their passing, and they've looked much better for it. United's pressing game has also put more pressure on West Ham.

Both Forson and Mejia have struggled to do much from the wide areas, but Mejia's growing into the game, whilst Forson's been replaced by Emeran a few minutes ago.

Bondi77

At his age you’d think he could easily handle, say, 45 minutes this evening and still be 100% to go on the bench on Sunday. He really needs as much football as possible against senior(ish) players.
If he got injured we would have less cover for the first team..no point risking it.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
By the way, this pitch hasn't been good for United's passing game, but they've done well to keep up the pressure on West Ham and also get that 3rd goal.

Bertie Wooster

3-2 to United! 85th minute.
Fully deserved in the 2nd half.
HT sub Aljofree headed in from a corner.

cyberman

I think there’s laws against this but I’m not sure.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Isak Hansen-Aarøen's been getting a ton of shouts from the United technical area whenever West Ham build up their attacks. He's struggling to transition back into defence and help the rest of the team. On the ball, though, he's been class once again if not trying a bit too hard on a few occasions.

Bertie Wooster

United win 3-2! :D

Fantastic 2nd half performance. As hard a watch as the first half was, the 2nd half was a joy to watch.

Bertie Wooster

Mazhar13, what did you make of Mejia?

I couldn't decide. He found himself in plenty of space a lot. And was a trier. But looked a bit cumbersome at times and like he was struggling to keep his footing more than other players.

I also couldn't work out how quick he was. There were times I thought he should have got the ball first but didn't, but I couldn't tell if that was because he was struggling to keep his feet?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Mazhar13, what did you make of Mejia?

I couldn't decide. He found himself in plenty of space a lot. And was a trier. But looked a bit cumbersome at times and like he was struggling to keep his footing more than other players.

I also couldn't work out how quick he was. There were times I thought he should have got the ball first but didn't, but I couldn't tell if that was because he was struggling to keep his feet?
The injuries took a huge toll on Mejia, sadly. He looks like he's behind in his overall development even if he's realising his athletic potential. He's in dire need of regular football at a higher level, preferably professional. He needs to be loaned out after this season.

There were several occasions where his application of his football skill would have been more applicable at the U-18 level, and his decision-making also needs to be sharpened.

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

The injuries took a huge toll on Mejia, sadly. He looks he's behind in his overall development even if he's realising his athletic potential. He's in dire need of regular football at a higher level, preferably professional. He needs to be loaned out after this season.

There were several occasions where his application of his football skill would have been more applicable at the U-18 level, and his decision-making also needs to be sharpened.
Good calls.
Thanks for that. :)