U23s: United v Derby County

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Game kicks off at 7pm this evening and will be shown in full at 10 pm tonight on MUTV.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Alvaro Fernandez scores to put United 1-0 up in the 23rd minute.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Emeran makes it 3-1 with a superb assist from Fernandez according to Rich Fay of the MEN.

Remember the geese

Alvaro Fernandez really is a class act. I'd love to see him get an opportunity with us next season. Although I can't see either Shaw or Telles leaving.

lysglimt

Scout
Up to 4th with todays win - 3 points behind West Ham in 2nd (Hammers with a game in hand)

lysglimt

Scout
Alvaro Fernandez really is a class act. I'd love to see him get an opportunity with us next season. Although I can't see either Shaw or Telles leaving.
Offensively he is - defensively he isn't good enough yet. So it will need to be as a wing-back in 3-5-2

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Shoretire makes it 5-1, Hannibal with the assist.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Derby pull goal back in the 94th minute to make it 5-2 and that's how it finishes. A goal and two assists from Alvaro Fernandez, and a goal and assist from Hannibal.

Remember the geese

Offensively he is - defensively he isn't good enough yet. So it will need to be as a wing-back in 3-5-2
We could possibly get away with it if we played a more workmanlike midfield, like Liverpool do to compensate for Alexander-Arnold's frailties. However, it isn't worth sacrificing Bruno for this to happen. I love watching Fernandez play though, so hopefully he gets an opportunity at some point.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We could possibly get away with it if we played a more workmanlike midfield, like Liverpool do to compensate for Alexander-Arnold's frailties. However, it isn't worth sacrificing Bruno for this to happen. I love watching Fernandez play though, so hopefully he gets an opportunity at some point.
if the team sets out to play in a compact high block and has a LCB that is quick and athletic, along with a DM who is also strong at defending a large space in 1v1 situations, then Fernandez could easily get away with having defensive frailties. But we also have to remember that at 19, he's gonna improve further both offensively and defensively.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Savage played well but Derby were very poor and afforded us a lot of space to play. Hannibal I thought was playing a lot more disciplined in a midfield role and wasn't dribbling with the ball or roaming as much as he normally does, which imo is a good thing and could be something the coaches are helping him with. But he could've still ended up with 3 assists on another day.

Bertie Wooster

Enjoyable game.

Followed the match live (updates), so I knew the score and all the major incidents, etc, when watching the full game at 10 - but, still, very enjoyable watching a dominant display like that. Albeit against a poor, bottom of the table, Derby.

Fernandez was top class (going forward). Savage very good as well. And Shoretire and Hannibal displayed their technical quality.

Fernandez is a funny one in terms of what to do with him next season. Especially with his defensive weaknesses and being more suited to a WB role. Ideally, he'd go out on the kind of loan Laird had with MK Dons and Swansea - to a formation that plays to their attacking strengths, and a manager prepared to give them plenty of game time.

But that won't happen at most clubs. Most EFL managers won't play wing backs, and not ask much of them defensively. So he might struggle for game time at most EFL clubs until he's improved enough defensively. So can we find him that kind of (Laird) loan where he gets to play regularly while working on improving his all round game? Or would he be better having another season / half a season of regular U23 football to try to improve enough defensively before testing himself in the EFL?

Last edited:

Thiagoal

Enjoyable game.

Followed the match live (updates), so I knew the score and all the major incidents, etc, when watching the full game at 10 - but, still, very enjoyable watching a dominant display like that. Albeit against a poor, bottom of the table, Derby.

Fernandez was top class (going forward). Savage very good as well. And Shoretire and Hannibal displayed their technical quality.

Fernandez is a funny one in terms of what to do with him next season. Especially with his defensive weaknesses and being more suited to a WB role. Ideally, he'd go out on the kind of loan Laird had with MK Dons and Swansea - to a formation that plays to their attacking strengths, and a manager prepared to give them plenty of game time.

But that won't happen at most clubs. Most EFL managers won't play wing backs, and not ask much of them defensively. So he might struggle for game time at most EFL clubs until he's improved enough defensively. So can we find him that kind of (Laird) loan where he gets to play regularly while working on improving his all round game? Or would he be better having another season / half a season of regular U23 football to try to improve enough defensively before testing himself in the EFL?
It’s funny that Fernandez has this reputation of being abysmal defensively- I actually think he’s improved loads and would hold his own as an attacking left back in the championship.

To be fair he’s so accomplished going forward that he could easily be developed as a left winger also

lysglimt

Scout
It’s funny that Fernandez has this reputation of being abysmal defensively- I actually think he’s improved loads and would hold his own as an attacking left back in the championship.

To be fair he’s so accomplished going forward that he could easily be developed as a left winger also
In every game I have seen Fernandez - he has one or two horribly misplaced passes or lapses of concentration that creates a huge chance for the opponent. This is the kind of mistakes we slaughter McT, Fred, Pogba or Bruno for giving away in the middle of the park every 3-4 games. Fernandez gives them away more frequent - and we cant afford that. If he with a bit more experience can reduce the number of mistakes - well, then we have a potential world-class left-back. So for me it's not so much the fact that he is torn to shreds by an attacker (even if that has happened as well) - but his own mistakes.

GueRed

Handsome win for the young Reds albeit against a poor Derby team.

Savage and Fernandez the stand-outs.

Fernandez is having a good season. On course to be U-23s player of the season for me....

GueRed

Enjoyable game.

If no loan spell next season I can see him alongside playing U-23s, train alot more frequently with the first team and eventually see his name creep into matchday squads.