U23s vs Chelsea

lysglimt

Scout
Really disappointed by Shoretire today - by far our worst player. But he is young, he will improve.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Is that Fernandez? Missing the game.

Everyone has him on toast. Silky player but he can't run unfortunately.
Speaking of which, he's just scored a cracking goal to make it 1-1.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Fernandez should be playing in midfield. He can't defend but he can do everything else it seems.

UTD_Since_1978

Crikey! That Number 3 looks some player on tonight's evidence, just one game though, so I am not going overboard just yet, but one to look out for.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Rankine is fecking rapid. Fernandez can't stay with him.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Fernandez's defending has to improve, he looks very elegant on the ball and is clearly talented but I don't think he would do well as a LB in senior game.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
This ref is a clown.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Fernandez's defending has to improve, he looks very elegant on the ball and is clearly talented but I don't think he would do well as a LB in senior game.
He looks like an attacking midfielder, to be honest.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
9 min of extra time in which probably they played for 1 minute :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sounds like a [Irrelevant point] type defender. About the same height too

Marwood

Speaking of which, he's just scored a cracking goal to make it 1-1.
Ha typical.

He is talented, just way too slow for fullback.

To have a career at the top level he'll have to switch position.

bdecuc

It's a good thing the results in these u23 matches don't mean too much because the officiating is consistently terrible.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Good game. I always see fans really get invested in results at this level. All that matters is the development. A lot of these 17-18 year olds who are playing at U23 level for the first time will be a lot better this time next year and that's the whole point.

Thiagoal

Strange, but I thought Fernandez looked absolutely class tonight then come on here to see him get slaughtered. Not many full backs would keep up with Rankine. MOTM by a long way IMO

Thiagoal

Don't know whether to read too much into this but he has been training with the first team this week so maybe in contention for a spot on the bench away to Southampton.
Got Lincoln on Tuesday in the Papa John’s so wondering if a few of the key players were being rested for that game? Mejbri, Elanga, Diallo? We shall see

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Got Lincoln on Tuesday in the Papa John’s so wondering if a few of the key players were being rested for that game? Mejbri, Elanga, Diallo? We shall see
Amad and Mejbri starting would be great. Think we’ve got too many names ahead of them at the moment unfortunately though — likely Lingard and James on the wings with Cavani/Martial needing fitness too

Mickson

Strange, but I thought Fernandez looked absolutely class tonight then come on here to see him get slaughtered. Not many full backs would keep up with Rankine. MOTM by a long way IMO
He's a little bit lazy in his defensive actions, but he's a brilliant footballer and top-class in attack. One assist and one goal so far as a full back in just two games. Very impressive. I think he will end up like [Irrelevant point], as a wingback or even CM.

Indnyc

He was very good in the first half.. Struggled defensively a bit in the second half with Chelsea’s right winger..

Great individual goal.. Probably Motm but don’t think anybody else had that good a game.. Maybe Shoretire who was also a bit erratic with his shooting

Marwood

He's not getting slaughtered.Plenty of praise here.

Just a very realistic opinion that he's very slow, especially for a fullback.

Thiagoal

He's not getting slaughtered.Plenty of praise here.

Just a very realistic opinion that he's very slow, especially for a fullback.
I genuinely don’t think he looks slow. He was getting past players in the attacking third with ease.

I think he could positionally improve somewhat as I think that’s more important that flat out pace anyway. Looks really silky in possession which is very encouraging

Thiagoal

Amad and Mejbri starting would be great. Think we’ve got too many names ahead of them at the moment unfortunately though — likely Lingard and James on the wings with Cavani/Martial needing fitness too
It’s an U23 tournament so those guys aren’t eligible

Mickson

Suspended from the red card at the end of last season
Surely not suspended for two games from two yellows in the last game of last season. I don't think he will play much at all with the U23.

I genuinely don’t think he looks slow. He was getting past players in the attacking third with ease.

I think he could positionally improve somewhat as I think that’s more important that flat out pace anyway. Looks really silky in possession which is very encouraging
He is quick, as in quick to get past one or two players who stand still. But he's not fast. He will get beaten on pace by a fast winger.