'Uefa care about money not players' - Thibby Courtois

Drainy

Pretty much this. Poor footballer has to run around a bit then get in his 100k luxury car and drive back to his mansion or penthouse.
But he's a goalkeeper, he doesn't even have to run around all that much.
Sounds like sour grapes to me.
Such a shitty post that shows you lack an understanding of humanity.

Of course conditions and workload matter at work. Yes he's a goalkeeper but he can still suffer burnout, and speak on behalf of his colleagues.

Having a nice car doesn't stop someone from pulling a hamstring.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Did Perez ask him to say this and mention ESL?
While there are too many games being played it would also help if he complained to his manager or federation and asked them why he has to be involved in a meaningless 3rd place match.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Because if Saudi rulers talked about human right conditions in Afghanistan, it will NOT resonate with the common man, even though there's nothing wrong with the message.
What’s that to do with the player saying they play too much?

my point; People are focussing on him because he’s well paid rather than talking about the message he’s trying to convey

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What’s that to do with the player saying they play too much?

my point; People are focussing on him because he’s well paid rather than talking about the message he’s trying to convey
People are focusing on him because international football doesn't only concerns top players and that top players could easily play 10 fewer games if they wanted to.

0le

Can players stipulate a maximum number of games they are willing to play per season in their contracts?

+1 for the threadmark :lol:

big rons sovereign

Such a shitty post that shows you lack an understanding of humanity.

Of course conditions and workload matter at work. Yes he's a goalkeeper but he can still suffer burnout, and speak on behalf of his colleagues.

Having a nice car doesn't stop someone from pulling a hamstring.
Thinking some multimillionaire, pampered crybaby should suck it up because he has to put a bit of extra effort in means I lack any understanding of humanity?
Jesus Christ.
Some of us have to work 60 plus hours a week, and for a fraction what he makes.
I think I've earned the right to judge the whiny prick.
I guarantee if Belgium had won that tournament, you wouldn't be hearing a peep from him.

Last edited by a moderator:

golden_blunder

Staff
People are focusing on him because international football doesn't only concerns top players and that top players could easily play 10 fewer games if they wanted to.
Could they really though? If you’re patriotic you will play every game going

golden_blunder

Staff
Thinking some multimillionaire, pampered crybaby should suck it up because he has to put a bit of extra effort in means I lack any understanding of humanity?
Jesus Christ.
Some of us have to work 60 plus hours a week, and for a fraction what he makes.
I think I've earned the right to judge the whiny prick.
I guarantee if Belgium had won that tournament, you wouldn't be hearing a peep from him.
Just because he’s an overpaid footballer (which is worthy of a seperate discussion) it doesn’t mean that he doesn’t get tired or want to spend more time with the kids like the rest of us. His money shouldn’t be a factor in the point he’s raised

Paul_Scholes18

All the games is what makes them the money. If they reduce salary then they can play less of course.

JPRouve

Scout
Could they really though? If you’re patriotic you will play every game going
They could limit the amount of games they play with their clubs, top players are unionized like the rest.

Paul_Scholes18

do you actually believe that? noone can be that dumb
Yeah if we reduce games the clubs can't afford to pay them apart from oil clubs etc.

They are already earning far too much.

The income depend on games played from all sources. If you reduce exposure the tv money, commercials, match earnings will all go down.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Will be interesting to see what players from smaller nations and smaller clubs think about number of games.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Will be interesting to see what players from smaller nations and smaller clubs think about number of games.
Suspect players from smaller nations and smaller clubs don't have this problem. If we are talking about players from Andorra, Gibraltar, they certainly don't.

Drainy

Yeah if we reduce games the clubs can't afford to pay them apart from oil clubs etc.

They are already earning far too much.
No, if they reduced salaries it would just go to the owners who would bank it and still make them play more games to make them more money.

I would far rather the money from football went to the people who make the sacrifices, do the graft, take the risks with injury and burnout, and take the abuse from cnuts online than the leeches who control and own the game.

Professional athletes in popular sports make a lot of money because of public interest and it should go primarily to the athletes.

djembatheking

If he is not up for it then he just shouldn`t play. Some players never want to miss a game and never complain, at the end of the day it is the nations league which was set up to replace friendlies where historically fringe players would be used .

roonster09

Scout
Suspect players from smaller nations and smaller clubs don't have this problem. If we are talking about players from Andorra, Gibraltar, they certainly don't.
Not that extreme, maybe lets take Switzerland, Turkey, Russia as examples.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The cynic in me would say to Courtois if you're tired then don't play. But then it's Martinez, he probably would never say anything like this.

JPRouve

Scout
You can go with France, Brazil, England, Italy, Spain and any player that isn't playing for one of the few club that is expected to win trophies every seasons. His comments are as myopic as it gets and somehow we have people agreeing with it.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
You can go with France, Brazil, England, Italy, Spain and any player that isn't playing for one of the few club that is expected to win trophies every seasons. His comments are as myopic as it gets and somehow we have people agreeing with it.
Wouldn't go as far like you, but I am surprised with the amount of posters here presuming that somehow the Nations League increased the number of games and are only glorified friendlies. If that's the case, then players can say to NT coaches they don't want to play.

roonster09

Scout
Yeah that's a good point. Players who play for the clubs that don't win anything but plays for NT that has good chance of winning.

Btw anyone knows if players from smaller clubs ever spoke about this topic?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yeah that's a good point. Players who play for the clubs that don't win anything but plays for NT that has good chance of winning.

Btw anyone knows if players from smaller clubs ever spoke about this topic?
Suspect not because they want to play in the same clubs and NT level teams as Courtois to have the same contracts, signing fees and wages. After that they will complain.

90 + 5min

Strong words from Thibault Courtois last night(?) about UEFA, suggesting they only care about money and not players...

Main quotes:

"This just shows that we play too many games," Courtois continued. "Next year we have a World Cup in November, we maybe have to play until the latter stages of June again. We will get injured and nobody cares about the players anymore.

"After a long season we will have to play four games in the Nations League again, we will have two weeks' holiday and that's not enough for players to be able to continue playing 12 months at the highest level.

"If we never say anything it will always be the same. They (Uefa) can be angry about other teams making a Super League but they don't care about the players, they just care about their pockets."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58870597

Foughts?
Should start with looking in the mirror when he talks about money. He could play for much less than 250000 a week. Yes, UEFA isn't innocent but players can start thinking about what their wages does to football as whole.

Paul_Scholes18

No, if they reduced salaries it would just go to the owners who would bank it and still make them play more games to make them more money.

I would far rather the money from football went to the people who make the sacrifices, do the graft, take the risks with injury and burnout, and take the abuse from cnuts online than the leeches who control and own the game.

Professional athletes in popular sports make a lot of money because of public interest and it should go primarily to the athletes.
I rather they spread the money more from tv deals to improve lower level football.

The top is earning far too much already.

If they play less games surely the salaries have to go down.

roonster09

Scout
Suspect not because they want to play in the same clubs and NT level teams as Courtois to have the same contracts, signing fees and wages. After that they will complain.
It's actually very interesting topic. Like @JPRouve said why don't they ask their clubs to rotate and use full squad. Replies will be "clubs pay their wages". In thst case why don't they decline the call up talking to manager.

JPRouve

Scout
Wouldn't go as far like you, but I am surprised with the amount of posters here presuming that somehow the Nations League increased the number of games and are only glorified friendlies. If that's the case, then players can say to NT coaches they don't want to play.
You should go that far because he is talking about players that have good to very good teammates riding the benches of top teams and playing very little minutes. Think about the small amount of minutes played last season by the likes of Militao, Lunin, Jovic or even Odegaard before his move. From a practical or logical standpoint he has no argument because he doesn't have to play that many minutes at club level if he fears for his health, top players are in a very particular situation where they actually have the support of strong teammates, so why isn't he championing for his backup?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It's actually very interesting topic. Like @JPRouve said why don't they ask their clubs to rotate and use full squad. Replies will be "clubs pay their wages". In thst case why don't they decline the call up talking to manager.
Suspect had they won against France or Italy maybe he wouldn't say this. I suspect. @JPRouve I certainly don't feel Courtois is a exploited worker. If he is tired he has the option to retire. Simple as that.

roonster09

Scout
Suspect had they won against France or Italy maybe he wouldn't say this. I suspect. @JPRouve I certainly don't feel Courtois is a exploited worker. If he is tired he has the option to retire. Simple as that.
Also would love to see what players like Vanaken, Saelemaekers, Trossard, Ketelaere think about 3rd place game as they got the chance to play for national team.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Also would love to see what players like Vanaken, Saelemaekers, Trossard, Ketelaere think about 3rd place game as they got the chance to play for national team.
3rd place game would scrap it. At least for the Nations League, WC is another matter.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't want him to retire and I don't begrudge his wage either. My point is that there is a very obvious context that makes his point ridiculous, the fact that clubs that have depth don't use said depth and he is a typical example of it. I find it upsetting because I dislike this newish trend of having two first eleven because it means that many quality players barely play and it also means that the amount of quality teams is not as large as it should. Then we have a privileged players who has the chance to compete for titles every year, who wants to see international schedules tailored for top players. In that case why are top teams stacked, what is the point? Isn't it for injuries and load management?

Paul_Scholes18

Why don't you go watch lower level football to support it instead?
I do watch lower level football in Sweden. Anyway even if I did not it still make sense to improve lower level football and reduce the gap. It would benefit football overall.
Or I guess you love the huge gap created by money as we see?

golden_blunder

Staff
But you are wrong and there is no way to support it. :D
How is it wrong? It’s only wrong if you want nonstop football and be damned with players dropping with exhaustion, mental health problems and more injuries. Aside from that, they are robots so carry on :wenger:
Even wenger has seen the errors of his way, no more purity if football, show him the green!

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I don't want him to retire and I don't begrudge his wage either. My point is that there is a very obvious context that makes his point ridiculous, the fact that clubs that have depth don't use said depth and he is a typical example of it. I find it upsetting because I dislike this newish trend of having two first eleven because it means that many quality players barely play and it also means that the amount of quality teams is not as large as it should. Then we have a privileged players who has the chance to compete for titles every year, who wants to see international schedules tailored for top players. In that case why are top teams stacked, what is the point? Isn't it for injuries and load management?
That's a longer subject, related with the Bosman ruling first, later with Real Madrid Galaticos, also with Abramovich at Chelsea, and all the money from Sky and oil clubs not only in England, also at PSG, it's a much bigger picture, but yes Courtois benefits from that system, reason why he cannot complain too much.

Drainy

I do watch lower level football in Sweden. Anyway even if I did not it still make sense to improve lower level football and reduce the gap. It would benefit football overall.
Or I guess you love the huge gap created by money as we see?
I think salary caps would be stupid and certainly would not lead to fewer games.

If the star players are drawing the audience, they deserve a high cut of that. It's a job only a handful of people can do to the adequate level.

JPRouve

Scout
How is it wrong? It’s only wrong if you want nonstop football and be damned with players dropping with exhaustion, mental health problems and more injuries. Aside from that, they are robots so carry on :wenger:
Even wenger has seen the errors of his way, no more purity if football, show him the green!
It's wrong because the few players that are concerned with long and packed seasons play for clubs that have large squads, these players do not have to play the amount of games they do, it's their clubs fault if they do nothing else. As I already said why isn't he asking for Lunin to play a third of the games? I will just use the NHL as an example, there isn't a single goalie that plays the entirety of the regular season, even the ones with terrible backups don't.

The schedule shouldn't be built for the few players/club that have the luxury of having top players warming benches, those clubs should use the players that they have and make better decisions if they care about their players' health, instead of expecting lesser players to sacrifice their chance to represent their countries.