Uefa Youth League - last 16 - United v Borussia Dortmund

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Game kicks off 8pm tomorrow (1/3/2022) at Leigh Sports Village.

Neil Wood's prematch thoughts below.

Mickson

It will be difficult without Elanga and Mengi IMO. Mengi gave us stability and pace at CB while Elanga gave us pace and creativity, as well as goalscoring, going forward. I'm not sure we can replace that. We are not very pacey going forward and that is my biggest fear with this team, while Fish and Hardley have been shakey this season in defense, especially Fish. They were really poor again against a weak Derby. If we rank our teams this season, I would say that our U18 are favorites to win the FAYC, but here I can't see us going that far but I hope I'm wrong. It will probably be an entertaining game though.

Classical Mechanic

Are MUTV going to amaze us and actually show some live football?
https://www.uefa.tv/match/live/213605/2034642

How good is Borussia at this level?
They're always good at this level. They've beaten Ajax 5-1 in this edition. In this side I'm not sure who are their best players. If Moukoko plays then he's exceptional at this level but he's not appeared for them yet in this seasons competition. They do have one English lad named Jamie Bynoe Gittens who has 4 goals in 3 games for them in this competition. They nabbed him from City and has been touted as 'the next Sancho' in some quarters. He's a skillful wide forward. Looking at their squad their top scorer Bradley Fink is suspended for this game.

https://www.uefa.com/uefayouthleague/clubs/2605450--dortmund//squad/

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Surprisingly late fixture for this competition, last time we were in it I think all our games were in the afternoon.

MPTutd

Surprisingly late fixture for this competition, last time we were in it I think all our games were in the afternoon.
Apparently we are trying to replicate a CL game by staging it in the evening. Read it somewhere!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Apparently we are trying to replicate a CL game by staging it in the evening. Read it somewhere!
Probably means more people can watch as well as it's outside of the typical working hours.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Will be shown live on DAZN in Germany if any other Germans are interested in watching it.

Dave_MUFC

Think it's also on BT Sport 1 tonight, according to my football app.

Dortmund have a few talents that I've read about, mainly Nnamdi Collins, Bynoe-Gittens, and Rhijkoff. Will be a hard game.

lysglimt

Scout
So they are playing the C.L hymn in a Crazy Frog version to accommodate the kids ? :)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
They also have a midfielder called Abdoulaye Kamara (17) who operates from deeper in midfield and is a play maker type that looks a interesting prospect. He's only 17 but already over 6ft and looks a very technical and athletic player. They nabbed him from PSG.

And in defence they have a number of options who are physically, athletically and technically gifted. Players like 18 year olds, Nnamdi Collins, Soumaila Coulibaly (ex PSG) who are both starting options potentially and are very good on the ball as well as both being towering figures standing at 6'3. Neither started the last game against Besiktas, so it'll be interesting if they start against us. They also have a 18 year old keeper, Silas Ostrzinski who is 6'5/6'6 in height, similar to Vitek.

Last edited:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Think it's also on BT Sport 1 tonight, according to my football app.

Dortmund have a few talents that I've read about, mainly Nnamdi Collins, Bynoe-Gittens, and Rhijkoff. Will be a hard game.
For those without “proper” BT TV but who have a BT package (me), they can get the BT Sport app and it looks like it’s on there too.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
For anyone in India who is interested, its live on Sony Ten 3 HD.

ThemanGiggsy

so MUTV cant show the game live, which is asinine. but you can watch it on UEFA's website

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Abdoulaye Kamara who is a very talented young midfielder, isn't playing due to injury.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Bynoe- Gittens is an ex-Chelsea and City lad, supposedly Dortmund have bought him as their Sancho heir.
That's correct mate.

Dortmund have also nabbed plenty of other talents that are big talents in their own right. They've signed Coulibaly and Kamara from PSGs academy and beat out Chelsea for the signing of Nnamdi Collins from Dusseldorf.

Bwuk

Dortmund looking the better side so far. Much stronger and more athletic than us.

Zoo

It’s a United trait to get done from our own corner.

Bwuk

1-0 Dortmund. Killed us on the counter just too fast and powerful.

lysglimt

Scout
Horrible defensive play from the guy losing that tackle in the middle of the park.. He can't lose that one...take out the man and take a yellow card.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
1-0 Dortmund. We conceded from our own corner. They should stop watching the first team.

Hester_manc

I think Fish and Fernandez have had a poor start to the match. But Shoretire and Iqbal have been two of our better.

Drainy

Reminding me of that Chelsea FA youth cup match a couple of seasons ago where outside of one or two players they were all a good 5-6 inches taller and more powerful.