Unable to produce top quality defenders

Mylock

I was watching the u19 team in Europe and was shocked how poor our underage defenders were. We seem to be unable to produce quality defenders, apart from Amas who we bought I can't see anyone from the u18 or u21 team making it at a preimier League team.

Last edited:

KevinJoh

I can't remember we produced defender that is not injury prone. That is huge problem and probably we are doing something wrong. Regarding quality, Mengi is PL player obviously, Tuanzebe was on that level before injuries and after Aston Villa loan he would play in most of PL bottom table teams if sold. Williams had PL games under his belt, and would also be PL player if he did not spend 2 seasons on sidelines with injury. Laird is top RB and will get to PL if fit. Fernandes also on the track to be PL level.

Bojan Djordjic

I think we have. Tuanzebe, Laird, Mengi, Brandon Williams and Fosu Mensah were all excellent prospects at youth level but most of them have been cursed by injuries. Harrison Parker was also very highly rated before he was poached by City although not sure how much credit United could take with his development.

Borninthe80ts

I agree in that we did have players with potential and that injuries hampered their development. I do think we should be doing better in this regard though. I’m looking at Munro as I think he has good potential but would like a youth pickup similar to Amass or the Fletchers.
Doesn’t mean I’m writing of the current crop as they could surprise a few.

lysglimt

Scout
I think its a general problem in football - the focus on skill has been so extreme that defending is almost a lost art. I would struggle to name 6-7 high quality defenders in the P.L - but I can easily mention 20 attacking midfielders

lysglimt

Scout
I can't remember we produced defender that is not injury prone. That is huge problem and probably we are doing something wrong. Regarding quality, Mengi is PL player obviously, Tuanzebe was on that level before injuries and after Aston Villa loan he would play in most of PL bottom table teams if sold. Williams had PL games under his belt, and would also be PL player if he did not spend 2 seasons on sidelines with injury. Laird is top RB and will get to PL if fit. Fernandes also on the track to be PL level.
Let's not forget Kambwala on this list - God knows where he could have been without his injuries

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
you’ve seen the standard of united’s attacking play. they’re keeping clean sheets for fun during training, it’s just not challenging them enough or preparing them for playing against actual attackers.

Hammondo

I think its a general problem in football - the focus on skill has been so extreme that defending is almost a lost art. I would struggle to name 6-7 high quality defenders in the P.L - but I can easily mention 20 attacking midfielders
Defending has just changed.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Defending is a skill, there are very clear and well defined techniques in defending. Defending is part of all skills coaching for kids around the world. The problem is that now most players have a technical level thats higher than we saw 40 years ago due to improved coaching of kids. Its why the game has got faster, players have to be able to control the ball no matter what position they play quickly and often at pace. So defending requires all positions to be able to defend not just defenders. Its now become defending isnt just for defenders. Maybe the reason we dont name many defenders is the same as it was when I was a kid 50 years ago, its just not the sexy part of football.

Borninthe80ts

Yeah the style of football and rule changes have had a significant affect on how defensive players contribute to the team and also thus the skills that are prioritised.

It’s a weird contrast in that we are coaching and conditioning players more yet asking them to rely more on skills that require free thought like anticipation and being proactive. Of course these skills can be drilled too but time is required.
Also with our recent struggles in the first team taking the risk in blooding youngsters is higher than normal.

GueRed

I think we have. Tuanzebe, Laird, Mengi, Brandon Williams and Fosu Mensah were all excellent prospects at youth level but most of them have been cursed by injuries. Harrison Parker was also very highly rated before he was poached by City although not sure how much credit United could take with his development.
Most of those were overrated especially Fosu Mensah. He stood out and gained lots of fans mainly because physically he was an absolute beast and dominated the smaller boys at Youth Academy and U-23's level. Technically he was below average for me. And got found out at adult level football (premier league).

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Whenever I have seen Mengi play (which admittedly isn't a lot) I've thought "why did we let this lad go so easily". He's always looked a good player and I'm surprised he never even got a sniff with the first team...

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Most of those were overrated especially Fosu Mensah. He stood out and gained lots of fans mainly because physically he was an absolute beast and dominated the smaller boys at Youth Academy and U-23's level. Technically he was below average for me. And got found out at adult level football (premier league).
Agreed, of that list only really Laird and Mengi were absolute standouts, for me at least. I still stand by my view that if Laird hadn't suffered the injury issues he had done then he'd be our first choice RB, was a sublime talent.

mat85

Whenever I have seen Mengi play (which admittedly isn't a lot) I've thought "why did we let this lad go so easily". He's always looked a good player and I'm surprised he never even got a sniff with the first team...
Think injuries prevented it and we learned our lesson giving contracts to people who haven't been fit. I thought he was really good too

Mickson

Based on absolutely nothing. No way he is a PL footballer right now. Also, here is his injury record: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/brandon-williams/verletzungen/spieler/507700

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Fosu-Mensah was a revelation when he broke into our first team and even got himself into the Dutch national side. He’s one of a few players that probably rue Van Gaal losing his job when he did, because he had established himself as a first choice full back for us. I remember my colleague at work who supports West Ham being so impressed by him saying how nobody could beat him 1v1.

Mourinho came in and as is his way, didn’t have the patience. Even then, he was loaned to Palace and acquitted himself very well there. It was the Fulham loan and subsequent injury that was the death blow, but had Van Gaal stayed, he wouldn’t have even gone anywhere. He was in.

Theonas

Scout
You would struggle to name 7 high quality defenders in any era even considering how much help defenders in previous eras got from the favored tactics and refereeing compared to today.

khoazany

Among those that are still on our books, Williams, Fish, Kwambala, Bennetts, Fredricson, Ogunneye, Murray and Kamason have all spent extensive times on the sideline (most of them spent more than half of their times since U18s days out injured).

Before them we had Tuanzebe, TFM, (Ro-Shaun) Williams, Laird, Mengi, Pye who have spent at least couple of seasons on the sideline when they were still on our book. The 2 Spaniard FBs were relatively injury-clean though.

You have to wonder what would have been if they were/are more fit. It's already very hard to breakthrough as a defender in your teenager years.

We have injury-prone players in other positions too (Meijia, Ennis, Mather, Moorhouse springs to mind) but the situation of the defenders is absolutely ridiculous.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Young defenders are generally not trusted by managers unless put alongside a very experienced and established back line, considering we haven't had that it would be difficult for any defender to come in and break into the seniors.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
You would struggle to name 7 high quality defenders in any era even considering how much help defenders in previous eras got from the favored tactics and refereeing compared to today.
Just picking the 1970's randomly...

Phil Neal, Brian Labone, Bobby Moore, Martin Buchan, Mick Mills, Colin Todd, Roy McFarlane, Viv Anderson, Dave Nish, Derek Statham, David O'Leary, Kevin Beattie, Derek Parkin, Steve Whitworth...all excellent defenders.

Defending in general has declined but theres probably numerous reasons why that has evolved.

Theonas

Scout
Just picking the 1970's randomly...

Phil Neal, Brian Labone, Bobby Moore, Martin Buchan, Mick Mills, Colin Todd, Roy McFarlane, Viv Anderson, Dave Nish, Derek Statham, David O'Leary, Kevin Beattie, Derek Parkin, Steve Whitworth...all excellent defenders.

Defending in general has declined but theres probably numerous reasons why that has evolved.
How could you make that comparison fairly though? At the time, defenders were allowed and even encouraged to "let them know you're there" or "rough them up a little bit" and we all know what that meant. Defenders were also allowed to just pass the ball to the GK who will pick it up with his hands if they were pressed. Most of the time, the full backs will also sit next to them providing cover and protection in a deep line. I am not saying these defenders did not require any skills to do what they did as each era will have its specific challenges but you just can't compare the physical allowances, tactical priorities and laws of the game and underestimate how much difference these aspects made to what is expected from a defender.

Mickson

How could you make that comparison fairly though? At the time, defenders were allowed and even encouraged to "let them know you're there" or "rough them up a little bit" and we all know what that meant. Defenders were also allowed to just pass the ball to the GK who will pick it up with his hands if they were pressed. Most of the time, the full backs will also sit next to them providing cover and protection in a deep line. I am not saying these defenders did not require any skills to do what they did as each era will have its specific challenges but you just can't compare the physical allowances, tactical priorities and laws of the game and underestimate how much difference these aspects made to what is expected from a defender.
Also, often a low block. Compare to how much is required from say Van Dijk today, regarding speed, physicality, ball playing etc. You could say the same for the United defenders and all the space they have to conquer.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
The whole 'let them know you're there' was certainly relevant to many defenders. You could list a whole bunch of those. However, there were plenty of cultured ball playing defenders who were also great in attack in previous eras. Your comment was that people would struggle to name 7 high quality defenders...the 14 above (and many others that don't come to mind) were high quality defenders that don't fall into your 'hard man' category and were extremely tactically aware. Our own Martin Buchan was a Rolls Royce player and would not look out of place in todays team. There were plenty around.

lysglimt

Scout
I can't remember which Arsenal-player who said this - but I remember one of the guys in the late 80s early 90s (Dixon, Winterburn, Adams, Keown one of those guys) said that when they made a breakthrough they were so drilled defensively that a huge majority of the training sessions were about defensive structure. And at the end of their career - it was more about skills with the ball - and very little of the training sessions were about structure. So I think this is a general problem - more focus is put on the attacking part of the game.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The whole 'let them know you're there' was certainly relevant to many defenders. You could list a whole bunch of those. However, there were plenty of cultured ball playing defenders who were also great in attack in previous eras. Your comment was that people would struggle to name 7 high quality defenders...the 14 above (and many others that don't come to mind) were high quality defenders that don't fall into your 'hard man' category and were extremely tactically aware. Our own Martin Buchan was a Rolls Royce player and would not look out of place in todays team. There were plenty around.
It was also relevant to many CF's as well, Joe Jordan without his teeth is a good example

You can name dozens of good defenders from any era and many of them would be good in todays