Unbeaten Away From Home All Season

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
An average season, but this deserves a mention.
If we win on Wednesday this is our best season since fergie retired, 8 years ago. It would definitely be better than an average season

Teja

Lack of fans probably contributed a bunch but I'll be happy to take the record from Arsenal!

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
If we win on Wednesday this is our best season since fergie retired, 8 years ago. It would definitely be better than an average season
Wouldn't you class 2nd and 2 trophies better than 2nd and 1 trophy?

siw2007

The lack of fans have certainly contributed to it, as our lack of fans at home have contributed to some poor results at home. Still, you have to be a very good side and resilient to do it all the same so it's a very good achievement nonetheless.

Eternitiy

There is little to distinguish home and away due to the unique circumstances of this season. I wouldn't read much into this 'achievement'.

Hephaestus

Wouldn't you class 2nd and 2 trophies better than 2nd and 1 trophy?
You would. But we won nothing the season we finished 2nd under Mourinho (lost the FA Cup final), the League Cup and Europa League were in his first season in which we finished 6th.

Bubz27

You would. But we won nothing the season we finished 2nd under Mourinho (lost the FA Cup final), the League Cup and Europa League were in his first season in which we finished 6th.
Oh of course. My memory failing me. My bad.

el3mel

It will definitely be our best season post Fergie, considering we did consistently well in both the league and cups, while winning a trophy.

Of course, the bar itself is quite low. For normal standards, all our previous seasons would be considered garbage and this to be the bare minimum, but the bar have fallen hard post Fergie so this in comparison will look the best.

Hopefully next season will be better, and I mean with that we challenge for the league and progress to at least QF in CL. This should be what a United season look like.

Bubz27

We finished 6th that season
My bad, memory failing me.

To be fair, even if we did finish 2nd that year I'd class this year as better as it feels more like we'll progress from here.

Swivel Hips

Don’t forget the seven games away at the end of last season, so 26 unbeaten PL away, which is superb. I know that for most of those games there have been no fans present, but it’s been the same for all teams. I feel mixed emotions as to the season we have had, yes second is good and in ELfinal, but I’m not convinced yet as to Ole,s coaching ability, we have good players and some good youngsters coming through, so next season is a big one for him, he will no doubt get some players, I believe we will have a good idea by Nov/Dec if he has got what it takes for us to seriously challenge City, Chelsea and Liverpool.

dal

I’d love to know the detailed odds of doing this especially considering we probably were losing half of these games at some point.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
There is little to distinguish home and away due to the unique circumstances of this season. I wouldn't read much into this 'achievement'.
Oh please, just enjoy a fun stat without feeling some massive need to piss all over it

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
A good achievement. Wednesday still more important though. But we're progressing under Ole.

ShinjiNinja26

The maddest thing is I don’t know how we’ve been so good away but so shite at home. I mean without fans it should feel exactly the same home or away, essentially just playing every game at a neutral venue because neither team are gaining any advantage. Bizarre to say the least. :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If only we had a pre season.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Ridiculous stat when see the inconsistency throughout the season.
This. Amazing stat but also stuff like conceding the most home goals since 57 years is a dampener. That's why an elite CB and CDM are priorities.

Nero

Lots of bitter posts in here, enjoyable to see
Just another day of the self-loathing that runs through here. Any semblence of achievement is shot down and excuses found.

Stark contrast to the regular fawning over anything our rivals do.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Its a great stat but doesnt erase how poor we were at home

Morpheus 7

Expectation is always on the home team to take game to opposition, this plus no fans=Mc Fred counter attack.

Paul_Scholes18

Why are we better away from home? It do not make any sense. Like pressure at home from supporters do not happen with no fans.
I do not see why players would mentally be different home or away when there is no support. Playing at home should be easier anyway since we are used to playing at home pitch and less travel. All bookies also offers much worse odds for us away from home still thus it is not something obvious for them.

I guess the only explanation is that the players know these stats and it somehow effects them mentally. Not great at home becomes a pressure and they enjoy playing away from home. I guess Ole might have more confidence in himself away from home too since we have been good. Journalists asking these questions might have a big impact.
Also it could be random variance and that Ole just accept a draw away from home to keep this record going? If that is the reason then feck this record I say. I do not think that is the reason. Ole would not be that crazy to care about a record and his lineup today shows that.

FatTails

When people say average, they are usually referring to the arithmetic mean. So is it, in fact, an average season?

Let’s start with the Premier League. Before this season, we had finished first 13 times, second 6 times, third 4 times, fourth once, fifth once, sixth 2 times, and seventh once.A simple arithmetic mean here would give us an average finishing position of 2.32, which this season beats. I’d argue you’d want a weighted average, giving more weight to more recent seasons (decay on the older data), in which case this season will look even more impressive, considering that the simple average includes many 1st position finishes but the latest of which is in 2013.

In Europe, we’re in the final. Now we haven’t been in the Europa many times so this is a bit tricky. We got to the last 16 in 2011/2012 and 2015/2016, semifinal last year, and won it in 2016/2017. The average rating is much worse than being second best in the competition, the worst we would finish this season.

This season is far from average, it is pretty good.why did I just say all this