Uncomfortable opinion: Our governments have screwed us, but COVID-19 Social Distancing is working everywhere...

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
...except for places like hospitals, prisons and old peoples homes.

What do you think? We've all seen the videos of the police harassing certain members of the public who seem to be doing their best to comply with the restrictions. Undoubtedly there are also many times more incidents of the police having to move idiots who aren't complying along.

But in my opinion, the R-value amongst the general population is way below 1.0 - meaning in the general population the virus is doomed. The obviously depends on where you are in the world right now, in the UK a lockdown was introduced a couple of weeks ago, Italy before that, whereas the US has only just gone into lockdown and other countries haven't started yet

However, in Italy which has been under lockdown for the greatest amount of time deaths are (slowly) falling.

The peak in Italy was roughly 20 days after the lockdown (represented by my L). The two charts simply show 14 days and 21 days since the lockdown. The timeline for coronavirus symptoms to appear and for deaths to occur varies hugely, but the average death is being reported at about 14 days after symptoms appear, which itself is about 5 days after infection...

It should be noted that there could be other reasons for a drop in coronavirus deaths; more capacity created to deal with the virus in hospitals, better or more equipment shipped into the region, or simply a change in the way deaths are reported (those dying at home being missed for example). But anecdotally it seems that Italy (and Spain) are getting a grip on the virus.

However, that graph tells us another thing. The decrease in deaths following the peak of the coronavirus is decreasing *very* slowly. It is in no way symmetrical to the increase that brought us to this point.

The most obvious explanation for this is that the R Value - that is, the "reproductive number" (i.e. the number of people each person with the diseases infects) - is not hugely below 1.0. If the R-value was around 0.76, then it will take 6 generations of the virus to decrease the number of people 25% of the peak. And if each generation is roughly 2 weeks, then we are talking 3 months to go from 900 deaths a day to 225 deaths a day.

This looks to be a large part of the problem.

It is being reported that the models used to estimate this virus (and life under lockdown) were using the assumption that it would be roughly symmetrical. That is, the decrease in new infections during lockdown would be roughly equal to the increase in new infections before it. This looks to have been a huge error.

By delaying the lockdown by a week, I think our governments may have delayed our return to "normality" by up to 3 months.

However, there is another explanation for "the long tail".

That is, the lockdown is working, and working well in the general population. However... it is not working at all in places like hospitals, prisons, nursing homes and retirement homes.

This makes a lot more sense. We know that prisons, schools, hospitals and nursing homes are places where diseases spread quickly. Out of that list, only Schools have been closed.

But is there any evidence for this? Yes - a little.

We know that the elderly are more vulnerable to the disease, that's not what we are looking for. But if it's spreading around hospitals, nursing homes and retirement communities then we'd expect the "increase" in the number of deaths in those groups to be "increasing" faster than the increase in say - the age 30-39 range.

And yes, that's exactly what we are seeing. The increase in deaths amongst those aged +40 years old is increasing faster than the rest of the population, and the increase in increase is increasing faster. That being said, it's not clear cut. Deaths from those aged 50-59 seem to be increasing at the same rate as those aged 70-89.

We need more data. I haven't included Spain in this because I couldn't find the statistics that I needed. I haven't included any other country as Italy are the likes of France and the UK aren't far enough along the timeline yet to get good data.

I haven't looked at confirmed cases because Italy like the UK isn't testing properly. But there is probably good data available from some countries that are testing.

In conclusion, the R-value in the general population is probably now less than 1.0 in the general population of countries in lockdown. And is probably anywhere from 0.5 to 0.8 (bit of a guess). But the virus could be spreading at a level above 1.0 in places where many people are in close proximity i.e. prisons, hospitals, nursing homes, retirement communities, places of work that are still active (BBC, ITV, etc) and public transport. It's these that need to be the focus.

Not people walking their dogs.

TL;Dr

By delaying the lockdown a week, the government delayed re-opening society by two-three months

Last edited:

donkeyfish

The population is what matters. Exactly where it spreads it's not hugely relevant as long as there is sufficiently short distances.

Certain things cannot close, and some of those have close proximity of people. The further one reduce the contamination elsewhere, the higher rates you can manage in areas where it's a necessity.

The virus is only doomed in the general population if there's isolation between the parts.

Italy have already released much of the data you are speculating on.

The average time from symptom onset to death is 10 days. It was 8 but is increasing presumably as the weaker patients have already died off.

The R0 was announced as dropping under 1 for the first time about 3 days ago. It was up as high as 4-6.

There have been huge outbreaks in nursing homes and hospices but they're still a blip on the overall radar. The vast majority of health workers catching and dying from the virus have been outside hospitals, they have been GPs, dentists and pharmacists.

Deaths are as unreliable as cases. In Italian cities the deaths through March were 2 to 4 times higher than average, yet less than half were confirmed as Covid19 deaths. Italian authorities estimate 5-6 times more cases than known. It used to be 10 times but testing is now at 50,000 per day and catching up to the cases. All you can look at is trend lines providing testing criteria stays consistent. Absolute numbers are all false.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
“Stop people meeting each other and they won’t pass illnesses around”

Well no shit.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Its very simple, my mates in London are not going to catch anything from me as i am 350 miles away in another country. There can be no argument against distancing.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Relax restrictions and everywhere can be like living on the Ruby Princess.

Fosu-Mens

@rcoobc

Death rate is hugely impacted by the availability of ventilators. If a geographical area goes above the capacity, then the number of deaths/per critically ill person will increase compared to a scenario where you are under the capacity limit.

When the number of critically ill people are under the capacity of ventilators available and the R is below 1, the country or region is in control. People on ventilators, but in critical condition will also be able to battle the desease for longer, compared to the same person without a respirator. This is one of the main reasons, including the point you made:
then it will take 6 generations of the virus to decrease the number of people 25% of the peak. And if each generation is roughly 2 weeks, then we are talking 3 months to go from 900 deaths a day to 225 deaths a day.
And all leads to a positively skewed normal distribution approximation.

rcoobc

@rcoobc

Death rate is hugely impacted by the availability of ventilators. If a geographical area goes above the capacity, then the number of deaths/per critically ill person will increase compared to a scenario where you are under the capacity limit.

When the number of critically ill people are under the capacity of ventilators available and the R is below 1, the country or region is in control. People on ventilators, but in critical condition will also be able to battle the desease for longer, compared to the same person without a respirator. This is one of the main reasons, including the point you made:

And all leads to a positively skewed normal distribution approximation.
Don't only 50% of the people on a ventilator ever get off of it anyway.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's not uncomfortable. Government messed up good and proper, was clear they were struggling when people fleeing Italy could stroll through airports with not even a question being asked.

Under prepared and followed the wrong advice couple that with an infrastructure already under sever pressure and it was clearly a recipe for disaster.

Fosu-Mens

Don't only 50% of the people on a ventilator ever get off of it anyway.
I don't have the data, nor have I found any good reports on this, but based on the idea that getting assisted breathing will assist the lungs in the breathing process, increase o2 level etc and thus give the patient more time to combat the virus, one must assume that there is a difference between the two scenarios.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
more words don’t necessitate a new thread
Yup.

This reminds me of one of those threads after United get beaten and someone thinks their opinion about why we lost the match is MUCH TOO IMPORTANT to exist as a mere post in a thread created to discuss why we lost the match.

And that’s coming from someone who generally can’t stand megathreads.

On a side note, a lot of the theorising in the OP is just plain wrong. Twitter is full of posts like this. People who are good at maths who think being good at maths is the same thing as being an epidemiologist. Understanding human biology matters too.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
So today it comes out that the Government of Canada destroyed 2 million stockpiled N95 masks and half a million gloves a couple of years ago after they'd expired and didn't replace them.

cnuts. And that teflon supercunt Turdo will just deflect like he did with blackface. Will probably get reelected, too.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
@rcoobc You’ve misunderstood the reason for the long tail btw. Infections rise rapidly but consequences of infection (i.e. deaths) are felt much more gradually. It can take weeks for people to die but only a day to become infected. Which is why the death rate will fall much slower than the rate of infection. You need to focus on infection rates only if you want to get a handle on the shape of the curve but most countries are only starting to plateau so, again, it’s very early days. And, don’t forget, a long, low curve is what we wanted to achieve!

rcoobc

@rcoobc You’ve misunderstood the reason for the long tail btw. Infections rise rapidly but consequences of infection (i.e. deaths) are felt much more gradually. It can take weeks for people to die but only a day to become infected. Which is why the death rate will fall much slower than the rate of infection. You need to focus on infection rates only if you want to get a handle on the shape of the curve but most countries are only starting to plateau so, again, it’s very early days. And, don’t forget, a long, low curve is what we wanted to achieve!
No I totally agree that deaths lag infections by a certain unknown time, because it takes a certain time for people to get symptoms and then another certain time for those to become fatal.

That just means the fatality graph will match the infections graph by 2 weeks.

But the infections and fatality graphs are going down only slowly from what I can see. Whereas it was doubling every 2-3 days on the way up, it's not halving every 2-3 days in the way down.

The extra week that Boris Johnson and others didn't shut down the country caused infections and deaths to quadruple, but to get those deaths and infections down, it won't take another week of lockdown - but at least a month in my guesstimate

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
No I totally agree that deaths lag infections by a certain unknown time, because it takes a certain time for people to get symptoms and then another certain time for those to become fatal.

That just means the fatality graph will match the infections graph by 2 weeks.

But the infections and fatality graphs are going down only slowly from what I can see. Whereas it was doubling every 2-3 days on the way up, it's not halving every 2-3 days in the way down.

The extra week that Boris Johnson and others didn't shut down the country caused infections and deaths to quadruple, but to get those deaths and infections down, it won't take another week of lockdown - but at least a month in my guesstimate
Nope. That would only happen if infection to death was a fixed duration of time for everyone that gets infected. In reality it’s hugely variable, from individual to individual, depending on lots of different factors. Can be as short as a few days, or long as two or three months. And we’ve no idea if the range of duration from diagnosis to death has a normal distribution or not.

Not to mention that people get diagnosed at different time-points in their own disease progression.

You’re trying to treat this as a simple maths equation. It’s way more complex than that. Although your basic point is correct. The death toll will fall more slowly than the rate of infection will increase.

rcoobc

Nope. That would only happen if infection to death was a fixed duration of time for everyone that gets infected. In reality it’s hugely variable, from individual to individual, depending on lots of different factors. Can be as short as a few days, or long as two or three months. Not to mention that people get diagnosed at different time-points in their own disease progression.

You’re trying to treat this as a simple maths equation. It’s way more complex than that.
Thats all true, that would cause a "long tail". I don't think that's the main reason though. The deaths in Italy are getting older which to me implies that the young people are social distancing and the virus is slowing dying in the general population, but it's a different story in care homes and hospitals.

I wouldn't think the elderly would be the ones to survive a long time but ultimately succumb.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
...except for places like hospitals, prisons and old peoples homes.

What do you think? We've all seen the videos of the police harassing certain members of the public who seem to be doing their best to comply with the restrictions. Undoubtedly there are also many times more incidents of the police having to move idiots who aren't complying along.

But in my opinion, the R-value amongst the general population is way below 1.0 - meaning in the general population the virus is doomed. The obviously depends on where you are in the world right now, in the UK a lockdown was introduced a couple of weeks ago, Italy before that, whereas the US has only just gone into lockdown and other countries haven't started yet

However, in Italy which has been under lockdown for the greatest amount of time deaths are (slowly) falling.

The peak in Italy was roughly 20 days after the lockdown (represented by my L). The two charts simply show 14 days and 21 days since the lockdown. The timeline for coronavirus symptoms to appear and for deaths to occur varies hugely, but the average death is being reported at about 14 days after symptoms appear, which itself is about 5 days after infection...

It should be noted that there could be other reasons for a drop in coronavirus deaths; more capacity created to deal with the virus in hospitals, better or more equipment shipped into the region, or simply a change in the way deaths are reported (those dying at home being missed for example). But anecdotally it seems that Italy (and Spain) are getting a grip on the virus.

However, that graph tells us another thing. The decrease in deaths following the peak of the coronavirus is decreasing *very* slowly. It is in no way symmetrical to the increase that brought us to this point.

The most obvious explanation for this is that the R Value - that is, the "reproductive number" (i.e. the number of people each person with the diseases infects) - is not hugely below 1.0. If the R-value was around 0.76, then it will take 6 generations of the virus to decrease the number of people 25% of the peak. And if each generation is roughly 2 weeks, then we are talking 3 months to go from 900 deaths a day to 225 deaths a day.

This looks to be a large part of the problem.

It is being reported that the models used to estimate this virus (and life under lockdown) were using the assumption that it would be roughly symmetrical. That is, the decrease in new infections during lockdown would be roughly equal to the increase in new infections before it. This looks to have been a huge error.

By delaying the lockdown by a week, I think our governments may have delayed our return to "normality" by up to 3 months.

However, there is another explanation for "the long tail".

That is, the lockdown is working, and working well in the general population. However... it is not working at all in places like hospitals, prisons, nursing homes and retirement homes.

This makes a lot more sense. We know that prisons, schools, hospitals and nursing homes are places where diseases spread quickly. Out of that list, only Schools have been closed.

But is there any evidence for this? Yes - a little.

We know that the elderly are more vulnerable to the disease, that's not what we are looking for. But if it's spreading around hospitals, nursing homes and retirement communities then we'd expect the "increase" in the number of deaths in those groups to be "increasing" faster than the increase in say - the age 30-39 range.

And yes, that's exactly what we are seeing. The increase in deaths amongst those aged +40 years old is increasing faster than the rest of the population, and the increase in increase is increasing faster. That being said, it's not clear cut. Deaths from those aged 50-59 seem to be increasing at the same rate as those aged 70-89.

We need more data. I haven't included Spain in this because I couldn't find the statistics that I needed. I haven't included any other country as Italy are the likes of France and the UK aren't far enough along the timeline yet to get good data.

I haven't looked at confirmed cases because Italy like the UK isn't testing properly. But there is probably good data available from some countries that are testing.

In conclusion, the R-value in the general population is probably now less than 1.0 in the general population of countries in lockdown. And is probably anywhere from 0.5 to 0.8 (bit of a guess). But the virus could be spreading at a level above 1.0 in places where many people are in close proximity i.e. prisons, hospitals, nursing homes, retirement communities, places of work that are still active (BBC, ITV, etc) and public transport. It's these that need to be the focus.

Not people walking their dogs.

TL;Dr

By delaying the lockdown a week, the government delayed re-opening society by two-three months
These graphs help demonstrate why reopening things could be a huge mistake. Australia is generally doing well as demonstrated by the NSW figures where the majority of cases are. However, Tasmania which has the hardest restrictions is back above 2 simply due to 1 infected person infecting other medical workers and also closing 2 hospitals for 2 weeks. But the infection and spread originated outside the hospital, allegedly due to lax social distancing by some staff. Scale this up to a whole country and also reduce restrictions and this sort of occurrence would be far more frequent. So it is apparent what a bad idea it is. I also can't believe the UK is even thinking about loosening restrictions yet when you have 15,000 dead, rising by 850 people per day. Even if R is below 1 for some in the UK (which is far from certain as the last estimate I saw was over 1 it wouldn't take much at all to push it back up and round we go again.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yup.

This reminds me of one of those threads after United get beaten and someone thinks their opinion about why we lost the match is MUCH TOO IMPORTANT to exist as a mere post in a thread created to discuss why we lost the match.

And that’s coming from someone who generally can’t stand megathreads.

On a side note, a lot of the theorising in the OP is just plain wrong. Twitter is full of posts like this. People who are good at maths who think being good at maths is the same thing as being an epidemiologist. Understanding human biology matters too.
Many years ago when teaching biostats (mostly now forgotten) the stats weren't the hard bit. Interpreting the stats was the hard bit. And just because a stat or number fits a narrative doesn't mean that is what is happening any more than correlation means causation.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
An amusing meme on Facebook

The curve has flattened so we can reduce restrictions = The parachute has slowed my fall so I can take it off now for the rest of the descent.

Revan

Assumptionman
An amusing meme on Facebook

The curve has flattened so we can reduce restrictions = The parachute has slowed my fall so I can take it off now for the rest of the descent.
It is batshit crazy the amount of people who are saying similar versions of it. Like the experts were wrong for predicting so many deaths, so we should not listen to them and reopen the country ASAP, failing to understand that the reason why there aren’t as many deaths as forecasted is precisely because of the extreme social distancing.

rcoobc

www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/ghq9xi

I know everyone made a bit of a joke of this thread, but I have to say I think I am right.

That's Germany. Max R value was a bit below 3.5 during the peak, and fell to a min on 0.5. Someone on reddit posted some alternative estimates to the R value here

It's been said that the UK Government models assumed a symmetrical curve on the way up and on the way down. I.e. if it had an R Value of 3.0 during the peak, it would have an R Value of 0.33 once the lockdown was implemented.

That hasn't happened

For every week the left the economy open, the number of people with COVID-19 quadrupled. To reduce it back to the previous level it was a week before the lockdown will take approx 23 days at R = 0.75

(I know R value isn't linked to any time frame, but we also know the doubling rate was approx days early on)

Take that with a huge pinch of salt though as this is an extreme guesstimation

if a good guestimate for Germanys average R value post lockdown was about 0.75, and working out that the daily R (daily)value would have been around 0.94 then it will take approx 23 days to reduce the infected by 75% (although 27 days at 0.95 and 19 days at 0.93

Last edited:

rcoobc

These graphs help demonstrate why reopening things could be a huge mistake. Australia is generally doing well as demonstrated by the NSW figures where the majority of cases are. However, Tasmania which has the hardest restrictions is back above 2 simply due to 1 infected person infecting other medical workers and also closing 2 hospitals for 2 weeks. But the infection and spread originated outside the hospital, allegedly due to lax social distancing by some staff. Scale this up to a whole country and also reduce restrictions and this sort of occurrence would be far more frequent. So it is apparent what a bad idea it is. I also can't believe the UK is even thinking about loosening restrictions yet when you have 15,000 dead, rising by 850 people per day. Even if R is below 1 for some in the UK (which is far from certain as the last estimate I saw was over 1 it wouldn't take much at all to push it back up and round we go again.

@Wibble thanks for that. I somehow didn't see this.

Pagh Wraith

Thanks for sharing @rcoobc

I've also been fiddling around with the R value. I was confused as to why Germany posted the lowest number of infections since March on Saturday and the lowest since February on Sunday yet have an R value above 1.0 now. Seems the Robert Koch Institute implements a three-day delay excluding most recent cases to get more accurate estimates. So in reality the R value they publish every day is the reproduction rate from three days ago and if I understand this correctly, it is going to drop significantly when the weekend numbers are included.

The formula itself is very straight forward. Average number of daily new infections over the last four days divided by the average number of daily new infections from four days ago. Problem is the numbers in the Excel sheet they publish differ from the ones on their website and I haven't quite worked out why.

Germany will be interesting to follow. While distancing rules remain in place, basically everything is open again now. All shops, restaurants, pubs, hotels, gyms etc. We have seen in Austria (who are roughly two weeks ahead of us) that reopening hasn't had any effect, the thing is practically dead in Austria. But the numerous mass demonstrations we have seen here (up to 10,000 people) could see a spike.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's not uncomfortable. Government messed up good and proper, was clear they were struggling when people fleeing Italy could stroll through airports with not even a question being asked.

Under prepared and followed the wrong advice couple that with an infrastructure already under sever pressure and it was clearly a recipe for disaster.
Can you imagine if the outbreak hit the UK first instead of Italy.