United 4-0 Bolton.....16/08/03.....EPL

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSkiesAtNight

Ronaldo seems to be a fine link man!!!! Played well on the right and the left. Fantastic.

Dr. Gonzo

sporting lisbon said:
Ronaldo, 30 minutes in field and destroyed boltons defense completly.
Who´s ronaldinho gaucho?

Isn't he that Rabbit playing in that Mickey Mouse league?

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
ive got a feeling the starting lineup next week will look different. united were shit until djemba and ronaldo came on.

this ronaldo fella looked a bit special, he was dribbeling like giggs and passing on either foot like beckham...

osterdal

Ronaldo coming on really changed the match. Nothing happened in the second half after a poor first. But enter Ronaldo and a new superstar.

I know he's only a kid and that the conditions (i.e. Bolton needing to attack) suited him perfectly but anyone could see that the kid is quality already. Fantastic technique, great speed, good passing and not selfish at all. Had the time to play as both left wing and right wing too.

Shame about the penalty miss from Ruud but he sure took revenge in the end. Amazing power in the shot as he scored for the 11th competitive United match running. What most people will forget however is that he was the second last United player to touch the ball before all three goals he didn't score...

Shame too about the refereeing before our third. How the hell was that not offside? feck me it was even more obvious than Henry's second at the library this April... Thank god the match was already over so nobody can say the referee won us the match.

Diego looked good too when he came on but didn't manage to score. He created Ruud's goal tho.

And Jim Pakistan looked good too. Though obviously he wasn't truly tested as Bolton already hade given up.

And Howard got off to a great start keeping a clean sheet. Had only to make one good save but looked solid all trough.

Oh, and Keano looks to be back to his good old self. :keano:

Great result, esp. as Bolton is better than people give them credit for. Okotcha is pure quality and I can see them taking many points against Arsenal, Chelsea and the likes.

Though in the end this match will be remembered as Ronaldo's debut. :keano:

ACE1981

8 Ace - £1.49 please
sky sports say ron cost

Player Profile - Cristiano Ronaldo Details
Name Cristiano Ronaldo
Squad No 7
DOB 05/02/1985
Height 6ft 1in
Born Madeira

Transfer history From To Date Cost
Sporting Lisbon Manchester United 12/08/2003 £ 7,700,000

:confused: :confused:

Dubai_Devil

ACE1981 said:
sky sports say ron cost

Player Profile - Cristiano Ronaldo Details
Name Cristiano Ronaldo
Squad No 7
DOB 05/02/1985
Height 6ft 1in
Born Madeira

Transfer history From To Date Cost
Sporting Lisbon Manchester United 12/08/2003 £ 7,700,000

:confused: :confused:
Yea thats what the actual transfer fee was. The rest of the £12.4 million was paid to a third party who helped in the deal and as part of the payment for the linkup between us and Sporting. Looks like one of the best deals in a long time.

lonbwoy

This Ronaldo kid is awesome!!, Rooney doesn't have half his skills, and is he FAST or what?????, am sooo excited about the future!!!.

kkcbl

On the one hand, Ronaldo came on against A relatively poor defence which was fast tiring & against a team committed to attack in trying to find an equaliser.

On the other hand, United was defending their lead & not causing Bolton much headache until he arrived on the scene. His arrival announced a change in United's approach!

And boy, did he show all the confidence of a veteran & wasn't afraid to run at the Bolton defence from the word 'go' & showed what a bag of skills he has, great confidence, great with both feet & crossing, unafraid to run directly at defenders, strong on the ball, very good balance & very good speed - the first United player with so much great ability since Cantona, & one Giggs who burst onto the scene at 17, but the latter who seemed burdened these past 3-4 seasons in being the only United player with such ability.

Hopefully Ronaldo's arrival will ease pressure on Giggs who till today, was the only United player capable of running at defenders & who today showed what I've been annunciating all along - that he should have taken more free-kicks to share with Becks as his dead-ball accuracy from free-kicks & corners are phenomenal, unlike his woeful crossing & passing when on the run in recent seasons.

Djemba2 also showed he's more than a hardman & his through pass to Scholes ( albeit that Ruud was offside & the goal should have been disallowed), showed he has great attacking ability & intelligence as well.

Djemba's all-round display should usher Butt more to the bench & together with Ronaldo's & Howard's fine debuts, demonstrate that the new United should be a force to reckon with, at least in the EPL!

PS - where does Kleberson stand after the debutants' fine showing?

Lauren0669

redpie said:
So how did Timbo fare in his first Premiership outing between the sticks?
He had one good save in first half. Other than that, he had nothing to do.

I think he is too boring. At least Barthez keeps our defense on their toes. :lol:

BusbyReds

redpie said:
More of the same really (and if you've seen him, you know that's a good thing). He only had one really difficult save to make, and he made it quite well. He did have a number of hard long shots that, though they were right at him, he could not afford to spill, and he didn't. He claimed the ball well in the air several times, had a good command of his box, and just generally looked extremely safe. I think he's established himself as our number one.

O'Sheady

redpie said:
He looked composed and assured in all he did.Great technique,got behind the ball when needed,he looked agile and aware.I certainly was'nt planking myself the way had I been with Bartez last season. :)

Infofreako

Hello again people!
Having tried to avoid all the bullsh*t that goes on over the summer months until the transfer deals are confirmed, I'm back!
Just saw the highlights of todays game. Gotta say that although ya can't knock 4-0 I just don't like Ole playing on the right! Never have. And Ronaldo looks like a belter of a buy. But why not put Giggsy back in his natural position on the left and play either him or Ole up front with Van? I know that doesn't solve the right wing problem, but maybe Ronaldo could do that? I just think Ole is a natural goalscorer, so why take him away from the goal. Ryan had a good day in that position today, but on other days he's missed some sitters!

All eyes on Chelsea/L'pool 2morrow now tho eh?

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Infofreako said:
Hello again people!
Having tried to avoid all the bullsh*t that goes on over the summer months until the transfer deals are confirmed, I'm back!
Just saw the highlights of todays game. Gotta say that although ya can't knock 4-0 I just don't like Ole playing on the right! Never have. And Ronaldo looks like a belter of a buy. But why not put Giggsy back in his natural position on the left and play either him or Ole up front with Van? I know that doesn't solve the right wing problem, but maybe Ronaldo could do that? I just think Ole is a natural goalscorer, so why take him away from the goal. Ryan had a good day in that position today, but on other days he's missed some sitters!
Agree with most of that. Except I think Ole has done a superb job on the right. His deliveries and crosses at the end of last season were as good as Becks. But he's wasted out there imo, and will lose sharpness in front of goal if he doesn't get some games up front.

Ronaldo will shine there tho.

Penny

Glazer get to a after drink brawl with Shittu, bot
Dubai_Devil said:
Yea thats what the actual transfer fee was. The rest of the £12.4 million was paid to a third party who helped in the deal and as part of the payment for the linkup between us and Sporting. Looks like one of the best deals in a long time.
I read that it's 7.77mil ... looks destine from the 1st day he will don the #7 shirt to the greatest pride of his :devil:

spinoza

Paz's ion
Saw the highlights on ITV last night.

Looks like Ruud really fell. I know the guy dives but this is once where he didn't. Though the scousers will tell you different. Anyway, all credit to Giggsy for the free kick.

Ruud needs to get that second penalty worked out fast. Looks like the goalkeepers have cottoned on.

Good to have Ronaldo coming on. We were looking like we've done for the last goodness knows how many seasons... off to a slow start. He got us going.

Can't wait to see what Kleberson can do.

Ryan Giggs m-o-m for me. You can't take 2 goals away...

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
MUFC Champions 2006/2007: Where will the goals com
Having just watched the whole game on MUTV for the first time, i can now draw a more acurate conclusion to our best player(s).

Although Ronaldo excited me and i cant wait to see him play more, infact the only gutting thing about his performance was when he passed the ball to a team mate! :D, never the less, i thought our best player yesterday was Mikael Silvestre. Solid was a rock.

top 3 best players

1) Silvestre
2) Ronaldo
3) Giggs

2Bullish

VanNistlerater said:
Having just watched the whole game on MUTV for the first time, i can now draw a more acurate conclusion to our best player(s).

Although Ronaldo excited me and i cant wait to see him play more, infact the only gutting thing about his performance was when he passed the ball to a team mate! :D, never the less, i thought our best player yesterday was Mikael Silvestre. Solid was a rock.

top 3 best players

1) Silvestre
2) Ronaldo
3) Giggs
I also thought Silvestre had a good game, did well against Okocha on more than one occasion.

As far as the match goes, the second half was one of the best games Ive ever been to as far as atmosphere goes. Ive got a season ticket in west stand upper and the atmos there is second to none. The crowd chanting for Ronaldo to come on, then he does and spellbinds everyone. The crowd was fantastic and didnt stop singing. "get back to the nationwide" "wanky wanky wanky wanky wanderers" and "theres only one Jimmy Davis" particular favourites.
All in all, as good a football match as youve ever want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.