United are "Genuinely interested" in signing Neymar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I wouldn't worry about what City do. United's problem is that we don't have the history of being nuts like Madrid and Barcelona. Perhaps we should have offered Madrid what they wanted for Ramos to make that kind of a statement of intent. We've been guilty in the past of being too sensible. That's not a bad thing but a player isn't going to take you seriously if you do not do everything to get them. The player's we've missed because of wages etc. We'll see what happens in the summer. City might win the league this season, but the fact is we could easily have been top if we didn't play negatively for much of the season.

People talk about what LVG has spent, but City has been even worse. I don't think Neymar will be joining City anytime soon.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
He's not joining either City or United.

Woodward's wild goose chases do little good especially when like Ramos, they arent supplemented by other reasonable targets. We could really rebuilt our team if had good targets that we sign early on in the window with minimal fuss in our problem areas .

Woodward can then try to feed his ego after we've accomplished that.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's joining us I can feel it, I wasn't wrong about it the Gundogan signing and I won't be wrong about this one.

ottosec

He's not leaving Barca anytime soon, but I am pleased to see that we are putting our money where our mouth is.

2E_MUFC

Would pretty much be the dream signing for anyone. I see him becoming the best player in the world next year

m1y2

why would you even consider United when we are so dreadfull now with a good chance of not making champ league when you are in Barcelona which has also great history and is winning everything with best players in the world.. would be interesting to see how would he react if we were smashing it here. Its certainly not a zero chance.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
His tax problems and court cases won't disappear if he joins you.

No way you get them 3 for that money.
Griezmann 65m
Gundogan 35m
Dybala 45m

I think it could be done tbh or around that anyway

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
  1. His tax problems and court cases won't disappear if he joins you.

Everyone knows that. I think the issue is that he wants Barca to compensate him for inevitably huge loses to the tax man in both Spain and Brazil.
I expect him to renew as soon as he has an idea what both cases in Spain and Brazil will cost him.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Griezmann 65m
Gundogan 35m
Dybala 45m

I think it could be done tbh or around that anyway
1st question, what currency?
Gundogan won't cost that much. Think he has 1 year left in his contract.
Dybala will likely cost more than 45m, specially because Juve are on the rise and they have no intention of selling him.
Griezmann release clause is most likely to rise by summer window.

Cassidy

1st question, what currency?
Gundogan won't cost that much. Think he has 1 year left in his contract.
Dybala will likely cost more than 45m, specially because Juve are on the rise and they have no intention of selling him.
Griezmann release clause is most likely to rise by summer window.
Thats £'s I was just putting rough estimates. I'm sure we could pull of the 3 with something close to the £145m buyout for Neymar.

itso 7

He's not joining either City or United.

Woodward's wild goose chases do little good especially when like Ramos, they arent supplemented by other reasonable targets. We could really rebuilt our team if had good targets that we sign early on in the window with minimal fuss in our problem areas .

Woodward can then try to feed his ego after we've accomplished that.
We signed five players (that were supposed to take care of our problem areas) last summer despite going on that wild goose chase for Ramos and Neymar, the market for established CBs wasn't that great just as it is for top strikers so I think a decision was made that it was Ramos or no one. I don't think trying to sign those two distracted us from signing any particular target who would regretted missing out on, wasn't Otamendi the only viable Ramos alternative then? If so I would say it probably helped us dodge a bullet.
I think big clubs are always monitoring 'big players' situations at their clubs exploring for an opening, particularly us because of our business model and the commercial benefits we can extract from such a high profile signing so it's natural that we'd be more interested in exploring further any opening that might arise, see Ramos' renewal and the conflict it generated. It might make Woodward, and us by extension, look stupid but since I doubt Woodward gives a flying feck about it.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Neymar would be a waste of money here, currently. Amazing signing but we don't have the players to accommodate him right now. He'd have 2 players marking him out of every BPL match he plays and I could see it going a similar way to Di Maria. Of course Neymar is one of the best players in the world but I think its hard to tell how good he would be here when he's currently playing in an attack consisting of Suarez and Messi. Just by having the three of them on the pitch they are able to find way more room/time/options because of the panic their presence cause. I'd much rather see us going for players a level below (Griezmann, Reus, etc) as there's an actual chance of them coming here - Neymar wouldn't join us in our current situation - and they'd probably find it easier to fit in, weirdly.

Bestie07

Neymar would be a waste of money here, currently. Amazing signing but we don't have the players to accommodate him right now. He'd have 2 players marking him out of every BPL match he plays and I could see it going a similar way to Di Maria. Of course Neymar is one of the best players in the world but I think its hard to tell how good he would be here when he's currently playing in an attack consisting of Suarez and Messi. Just by having the three of them on the pitch they are able to find way more room/time/options because of the panic their presence cause. I'd much rather see us going for players a level below (Griezmann, Reus, etc) as there's an actual chance of them coming here - Neymar wouldn't join us in our current situation - and they'd probably find it easier to fit in, weirdly.
Neymar is the Brazilian attack, not just a part of it. He has shown that he can fit in with other stars or carry a team on his own.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Neymar is the Brazilian attack, not just a part of it. He has shown that he can fit in with other stars or carry a team on his own.
Yeah, I did think about that but I'm not sure if it would be the same. You just have to look at the 2014 world cup to see how massive the emotional attachment is there and how connected fans/players are were with him, would that happen straight away here? When Neymar plays for Brazil its as if he's returned to his spiritual home - albeit briefly - and is welcomed with the most open of arms, and he thrives in all aspects of that role. He is also the only player for Brazil who, irregardless of form, will avoid criticism because of his status. I'm not sure that would be the case at Utd, especially with the media here almost certainly wanting to jump on his back if he made the move. I won't argue about how international and BPL defences/tactics compare as I think international and club football is too different in too many ways to really be able to do that.

RedAle

I think with Rooney getting older, these types of crazy offers (Bale, Neymar, Muller, etc) have much more to do with the board wanting to have someone ready to replace Rooney as the "face" of the club globally, rather then any real footballing reasons.

As an example, in the Canadian and US TV that I watch Rooney is front and center in pretty much all promotional material that has anything to do with United. He is the only player we have right now that is recognizable to the casual fan here. Especially here where the market is growing, star players pull in new fans/supporters.

If Rooney were to retire we would have no one currently to replace him. Which is obviously going to be a concern for us since our brand is basically "We're the biggest club in the world". The amount of money while crazy, doesn't really surprise me. It's about protecting that image in the long term.

Reactions: jojojo

Viggers

The only thing I think in our favour here is that Barca's wage bill is stupidly high. Over 70% of their turnover, and Messi and Neymar are both due for a renewal. I don't see how they can keep that up, and think they may be forced to sell for purely financial reasons.

Cassidy

The only thing I think in our favour here is that Barca's wage bill is stupidly high. Over 70% of their turnover, and Messi and Neymar are both due for a renewal. I don't see how they can keep that up, and think they may be forced to sell for purely financial reasons.
This is the big elephant in the room. However I can see them selling out to the Qataries to fix that.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace

ravi2

This is the big elephant in the room. However I can see them selling out to the Qataries to fix that.

Correct, Barca will figure it out with their sponsors to keep Neymar, there is no way they would let him leave.

Redguern

Wow - 70% is high! Our is more like 50% (which is lowest in the Prem)... welcome to OT Neymar, Gareth, Cristiano etc etc :D

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Neymar's performance in Brazil NT is so overrated. He didn't carry us to anything, he didn't do anything in the important world cup games, neither in copa america. Only played well in confederations cup, which is a glorified friendly.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Neymar's performance in Brazil NT is so overrated. He didn't carry us to anything, he didn't do anything in the important world cup games, neither in copa america. Only played well in confederations cup, which is a glorified friendly.
He scored all the important goals which got you through the group stages.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
I don't get this bullshit the media has created, "Barcelona have problems signing players on a high fee because they don't have that much money, they spend it all in their salaries"

Well, maybe it's because once you have spend hundreds of millions in Suarez and Neymar while surting the team with another high class players... you have to pay them? In the long run it has to be cheaper paying just wages to great club-proven players other than searching world-class stars every summer.

I mean, maybe the new contract from Neymar could cost Barcelona 50/60M per year, surely that's a lot but it's still cheaper than signing some guy for 40/50M + wages to start along Messi and Suarez. Selling Neymar would be the worst option, as you're not only giving away a potential best player of the world, you will have to sign a replacement and with 190M in fresh cash all European teams will be looking to profit from Barcelona and his Happy Hours.

Ney's father is just using the interest from United to rise the market value of his player (dumb thing, he can ask Barcelona for any amount of money he wants with only one condition, he won't get as much as Messi, let alone surpass his contract). It's Sergio Ramos all over again and the United board has to do something about this, seeing the club name being used just to fulfill personal ambitions from players that aren't likely to land in OT shows the weakest side of this club. When you look at how Real, Barça or Bayern do this deals they rarely get involved in wages and renewal drama, they like a player, they talk to him, they talk to the club and sign him. If they sniff the slightest hint that the player is using them to get a better contract somewhere else they run to the press to say they're not interested and it's just media speculation. United's board should be doing the same and keep the club pride, if they think that by taking a neutral position they can be in the best spot should the relationship between Neymar and his club get worse then they're just plainly dumb and live in another planet different than ours.

The moment things turn to Neymar possibly leaving Barcelona because they can't satisfy his demands it's when Real will make his entrance, they could enter, pay the release clause, make him the best paid player in the world, give him the best media exposure ever (media and fans around the world would go crazy with Madrid stealing him from his archrivals) while staying in a latin culture and a competition that he already knows suits him well. As long as Neymar is in top form and Barcelona can't choose the club they sell him to, he will only leave for Madrid.

I can only think of two possible scenarios where Neymar ends up playing in Old Trafford as a local. One is if he, somehow, grows a conscience (:lol:) and doesn't want to break poor Barcelona fans heart, so he chooses leaving to Manchester in his quest to be the best player in the world via release clause. Two would be that he turns into a grateful and humble kid (:lol::lol::lol:) and wants to thank Barcelona in some kind of way, so he signs a new contract with a higher release clause just so they can ask more money from United, seeing what he did to his "beloved" Santos this strikes me as impossible.

But there's a big "if" (always in my opinion). If Neymar leaves Barcelona he surely will land in Madrid, and even IF Neymar ends up playing for Real that suits United's interests just fine, it would mean that surely Ronaldo would be avaliable and his return to United would be an easy task. But even if Ronaldo isn't available then there's still the Bale option. Neymar to Madrid would open Bale the door to coming back to England, and if that happens United could be in the best position. I doubt Arsene or Pep want to throw the cash Madrid will ask for Bale as he isn't the type of player they both like so the bid will be just between Chelsea and United, I'd put my money for United in that fight

Nuts

I don't get this bullshit the media has created, "Barcelona have problems signing players on a high fee because they don't have that much money, they spend it all in their salaries"

Well, maybe it's because once you have spend hundreds of millions in Suarez and Neymar while surting the team with another high class players... you have to pay them? In the long run it has to be cheaper paying just wages to great club-proven players other than searching world-class stars every summer.

I mean, maybe the new contract from Neymar could cost Barcelona 50/60M per year, surely that's a lot but it's still cheaper than signing some guy for 40/50M + wages to start along Messi and Suarez. Selling Neymar would be the worst option, as you're not only giving away a potential best player of the world, you will have to sign a replacement and with 190M in fresh cash all European teams will be looking to profit from Barcelona and his Happy Hours.

Ney's father is just using the interest from United to rise the market value of his player (dumb thing, he can ask Barcelona for any amount of money he wants with only one condition, he won't get as much as Messi, let alone surpass his contract). It's Sergio Ramos all over again and the United board has to do something about this, seeing the club name being used just to fulfill personal ambitions from players that aren't likely to land in OT shows the weakest side of this club. When you look at how Real, Barça or Bayern do this deals they rarely get involved in wages and renewal drama, they like a player, they talk to him, they talk to the club and sign him. If they sniff the slightest hint that the player is using them to get a better contract somewhere else they run to the press to say they're not interested and it's just media speculation. United's board should be doing the same and keep the club pride, if they think that by taking a neutral position they can be in the best spot should the relationship between Neymar and his club get worse then they're just plainly dumb and live in another planet different than ours.

The moment things turn to Neymar possibly leaving Barcelona because they can't satisfy his demands it's when Real will make his entrance, they could enter, pay the release clause, make him the best paid player in the world, give him the best media exposure ever (media and fans around the world would go crazy with Madrid stealing him from his archrivals) while staying in a latin culture and a competition that he already knows suits him well. As long as Neymar is in top form and Barcelona can't choose the club they sell him to, he will only leave for Madrid.

I can only think of two possible scenarios where Neymar ends up playing in Old Trafford as a local. One is if he, somehow, grows a conscience (:lol:) and doesn't want to break poor Barcelona fans heart, so he chooses leaving to Manchester in his quest to be the best player in the world via release clause. Two would be that he turns into a grateful and humble kid (:lol::lol::lol:) and wants to thank Barcelona in some kind of way, so he signs a new contract with a higher release clause just so they can ask more money from United, seeing what he did to his "beloved" Santos this strikes me as impossible.

But there's a big "if" (always in my opinion). If Neymar leaves Barcelona he surely will land in Madrid, and even IF Neymar ends up playing for Real that suits United's interests just fine, it would mean that surely Ronaldo would be avaliable and his return to United would be an easy task. But even if Ronaldo isn't available then there's still the Bale option. Neymar to Madrid would open Bale the door to coming back to England, and if that happens United could be in the best position. I doubt Arsene or Pep want to throw the cash Madrid will ask for Bale as he isn't the type of player they both like so the bid will be just between Chelsea and United, I'd put my money for United in that fight
Didn't read. Can someone nutshell it for me?

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I think with Rooney getting older, these types of crazy offers (Bale, Neymar, Muller, etc) have much more to do with the board wanting to have someone ready to replace Rooney as the "face" of the club globally, rather then any real footballing reasons.

As an example, in the Canadian and US TV that I watch Rooney is front and center in pretty much all promotional material that has anything to do with United. He is the only player we have right now that is recognizable to the casual fan here. Especially here where the market is growing, star players pull in new fans/supporters.

If Rooney were to retire we would have no one currently to replace him. Which is obviously going to be a concern for us since our brand is basically "We're the biggest club in the world". The amount of money while crazy, doesn't really surprise me. It's about protecting that image in the long term.
True. We haven't any star players. Barca and Madrid have about 11 each.

We obviously need a poster boy. It won't be Neymar though.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
TL;DR - If Neymar leaves Barcelona via release clause it's to join Madrid. If Madrid gets Neymar United can surely land either Ronaldo or Bale

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Lol, I hate these thousand word posts which are all just pointless speculation. These days I just skip right over them. Can all likely be summed up in a sentence or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.