United finally setting up a women's team | Championship application successful

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Do they get to use old Trafford or start at the bottom like most football teams?

GeorgieBoy

Was really weird that we hadn't set up one despite pretty much every other club having a female team! Good that we've set one up; not that I'll be watching it.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hopefully we just aim for the best looking squad. None of us are gonna be arsed watching otherwise.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Do they get to use old Trafford or start at the bottom like most football teams?
Won't use OT, WPSL games played in smaller stadiums as the crowds aren't big enough to justify using bigger stadiums. Not sure exactly where they will play.

They'll be second tier though.

Interesting they haven't applied for the top tier. Changes being brought in so that the entire top tier will be Full time professionals. Seems a bit half assed to not apply for that and indicates they'll be a part time side to start with (could be wrong but can't see any other reason to not go for the WPSL)

Edit : They are gonna be full time.

Bwuk

Good that it’s finally happening, but I’ll be brutally honest - I doubt I’ll ever watch them.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good, it was weird for the biggest club in England not to have one when everyone else seems to.

Romez

Finally, ridiculous it took this long.

I remember a year or two back when we were being criticised for not having one, there were people on here defending that decision. What a joke.

Reactions: Penna

PoTMS

Am I allowed to say I hope they sign a few hotties?
No.

Unrelated, I'd like us to sign Alex Morgan, Leah Williamson, Alex Scott, Hope Solo, Lieke Martens and most of the Norway/Sweden national team.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Finally, ridiculous it took this long.

I remember a year or two back when we were being criticised for not having one, there were people on here defending that decision. What a joke.
The main argument against people were generally coming up with was that it'd be a drain financially, but that ignores the fact it'd generally become more profitable over time with the added benefits of helping the community.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
When the club sells sponsorships btw does it sell them for all the teams using the name ?

dogwithabone

Why are people so excited by this ? Couldn’t really care less whether we have a women’s team or not. Admittedly I’m not a fan of women’s football as the standard is so poor and is anyone really bothered what league we are in and whether or not we got promoted or relegated ?

Not for me but I guess good luck moving forward.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Won't use OT, WPSL games played in smaller stadiums as the crowds aren't big enough to justify using bigger stadiums. Not sure exactly where they will play.

They'll be second tier though.

Interesting they haven't applied for the top tier. Changes being brought in so that the entire top tier will be Full time professionals. Seems a bit half assed to not apply for that and indicates they'll be a part time side to start with (could be wrong but can't see any other reason to not go for the WPSL)

Edit : They are gonna be full time.
Ah right thanks, not really my cup of tea so haven't looked at anything to do with it. I watched ten minutes of a game a week or so ago and couldn't take much more.
Still, I suppose it's a good thing,. Not that I agree with it.

To clarify, I totally think women should have football teams and play the sport. I just think their own clubs should be started and built up and not jumping on to exsisting clubs that have taken decades to build a history and and stature. I could and probably am way off the mark but at the moment that's how I feel about it.

Preezy

Fantastic news, about time United crawled into the 21st century like everyone else. A whole new team to start supporting, how exciting!

GeorgieBoy

Why are people so excited by this ? Couldn’t really care less whether we have a women’s team or not. Admittedly I’m not a fan of women’s football as the standard is so poor and is anyone really bothered what league we are in and whether or not we got promoted or relegated ?

Not for me but I guess good luck moving forward.
Because we just know Woody is going to try and sign some marketable fitties.

redshaw

Curious timing as The Gender Recognition Act is currently under review so people can self identify without any medical tests. Could be a way for us to win league trophy again.

Luke Shaw could also stop his gender reassignment.

Seriously though, it's good news women will be able to represent United.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Ah right thanks, not really my cup of tea so haven't looked at anything to do with it. I watched ten minutes of a game a week or so ago and couldn't take much more.
Still, I suppose it's a good thing,. Not that I agree with it.

To clarify, I totally think women should have football teams and play the sport. I just think their own clubs should be started and built up and not jumping on to exsisting clubs that have taken decades to build a history and and stature. I could and probably am way off the mark but at the moment that's how I feel about it.
Can't blame you for not enjoying it, isn't a great watch. I watch 10-20 womens games a week but it really isn't for everyone.

With regards to your second point, it's a weird one. Realistically it is everyone's interest for them to use established clubs. It's a chance for United/City/Chelsea etc to get women into football, supporting the team and in turn feeding money into the club. Womens football (and women sport in general) lags behind men in terms of stature, salaries and exposure. I guess anything that can help to bridge the gap, or reduce the time it will take for the gap to be bridged, can only really be a positive. UK is far behind other countries in terms of Womens clubs. Most top flight sides in Germany and France (two historically dominant European countries at Womens club level) have had women sides set up which share the mens name and their standard is all the better for it. The money in Womens football is also very minimal. Fran Kirby was the highest british transfer fee a couple of years back and she cost 50k. The easiest way for more money to get into the game is to come from the male club I guess.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Nah, I'm of the same opinion. Don't think it does sport any favours to just have the women's version of everything poorly ape the men's version of things.

If people get something out of this great, but Manchester United are one thing only for me. This has less priority than potentially entering and winning the Checkatrade Trophy or the U18 League.

Looking forward to the equal pay discussions already for the men's and women's teams in 2021.