United get Portuguese youngster!

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
A report from the website 'Tribalfootball'.....

"Manchester United have swooped for Walsall teenager Evandro Brandao.
The Portugal U17 international has been in England since nine years of age and signed forms with United on Wednesday, says Maisfutebol.

Brandao, still only 15, impressed United assistant boss Carlos Queiroz in the Nike Cup in August and the Premiership giants agreed terms over a fee with the Saddlers earlier this week.

The youngster will sign a two-year deal with United once he has completed his duties with Portugal U17 this week."

....and from May 2005

A remarkable hat-trick for teenager
By Tom Hutchison

Evandro Brandao, 14, wearing his swimming goggles, trainers and basketball gear
A SUPER-fit schoolboy took part and won three successful major sporting events in just one week.

Evandro Brandao, 14, had a busy seven days representing Rokeby Boys School, Pitchford Street, Stratford, last week.

First he participated in the district athletics championships. He came first in the 400m as Rokeby took second place overall.

Another outstanding student performance on the day came from Mathew Baptiste, who won both the shot putt and discus events.

continued...
Evandro was busy later in the week when he represented the school in the district swimming gala.

Rokeby put in a strong performance achieving second place just two points behind the winners St Bonaventure's, in Boleyn Road, Forest Gate.

The junior boys relay team achieved silver, but the race of the day was the senior boys relay where the Rokeby lads took six seconds off the school's record to achieve gold and a new district decord.

Evandro was not finished yet.

Just half an hour later he was on court playing in the second leg of the national under 14s basketball final. Last year Rokeby won both the under-15s and and under-16s national B basketball trophies.

This year the under-14s were out to continue the school's success.

A school spokesman said: "The under-14s team travelled to Manchester the previous week for the first leg of the final, only to find themselves 20 points down with a score of 72-52 to St Matthew's School, Moston.

"The return home game was played at Cumberland School sports hall, East Ham.

In the last few minutes of the game the St Matthew's top scorer was fouled off and through sheer determination and skilful playing Rokeby pulled ahead by 21 points to make the score 65-44.

"In the last ten seconds Rokeby's final shot sealed the victory 67-44 giving them a three-point overall winning margin."

Despite losing their coach at Easter the team succeeded with the assistance and support of Mr Loxston, their previous head of department.

Evandro said: "It was just an amazing week, especially winning the basketball final. I'll never forget it."

And finally from the Portuguese FA website....

A Selecção Nacional Sub-17 vai participar, entre os dias 25 e 30 de Outubro, num Torneio sob égide da UEFA que substituiu a primeira ronda de qualificação para o Campeonato da Europa de 2007, que terá lugar na Bélgica.

Nesta prova, a disputar em solo belga, a Equipa das Quinas vai medir forças com as suas congéneres da Bélgica (com quem jogará no dia 25), da Inglaterra (27) e da Espanha (30), todas elas formações que ficaram isentas da disputa do primeiro mini-torneio de apuramento. Lusos, britânicos e espanhóis por estarem nos três primeiros lugares no ranking europeu da categoria e os belgas por serem os anfitriões do Europeu.

Os comandados de Carlos Dinis têm a concentração marcada para a próxima quinta-feira (19 de Outubro), até às 15h00, no Estádio Nacional.

Eis a lista de convocados:
Arsenal FC: Rui Fonte;
Boavista FC: Ivo Pinto;
C Atlético Madrid: Fábio;
CF “Os Belenenses”: Alfredo Ribeiro;
FC Inter Milão: Coelho;
FC Porto: Ruca;
SL Benfica: David Simão, Leandro Pimenta e Vitor Pacheco;
SC Farense: Pedro Eugénio;
Sporting CP: Diogo Amado, Diogo Rosado, Michael Santos, Nuno Silva, Pedro Mendes e Wilson Eduardo;
Vitória SC: Henrique Dinis;
Wallsall FC: Evandro Brandão.

Anyone else know anything more about him apart from him turning out in the Nike Cup?

Epic

for some reason I thought this thread was about Nani, shame it isn't :(

oskarutd

His name is: Evandro De Carvalho Brandao
He played well in the Nike cup, scored 2 goals.
A big lad.

WeasteDevil

So his real name is Evandro Carvalho then? Evandro Carvalyo in English.

I assume that surnames work in Portugal as they do in Spain.

M160RA

Walsall have a feeder club arrangement with us, don't they?

red thru&thru

M160RA said:
Walsall have a feeder club arrangement with us, don't they?
yes. its all to do with the 90 minutes rules. walsall are in the midlands so i think they can get players from the south for man utd and then eventually end up in manchester

Red17

TonyPark said:
A report from the website 'Tribalfootball'.....

"Manchester United have swooped for Walsall teenager Evandro Brandao.
The Portugal U17 international has been in England since nine years of age and signed forms with United on Wednesday, says Maisfutebol.

Brandao, still only 15, impressed United assistant boss Carlos Queiroz in the Nike Cup in August and the Premiership giants agreed terms over a fee with the Saddlers earlier this week.

The youngster will sign a two-year deal with United once he has completed his duties with Portugal U17 this week."

I seem to remember noticing a lad by the name Carlvaho Brandao playing for United in the Milk Cup. Big lad. Made an impression. Think he had braided hair then.

red thru&thru

Red17 said:
I seem to remember noticing a lad by the name Carlvaho Brandao playing for United in the Milk Cup. Big lad. Made an impression. Think he had braided hair then.
i thought that to but just could not remember where. iv just looked at the the threads of the milk cup and i can't see his name. but i'm sure his name rings a bell.

Gabe

Must be fairly useful to be playing in the Portugal U17 at 15, Portugal have very strong youth teams.

oskarutd

We still haven´t got him, bu we will

Press reports both in this country have indicated that Evandro Brandao, a 15 year old striker has signed for Manchester Utd from Walsall. Evandro who came to Britain from Portugal when he was nine impressed Manchester Utd staff when he recently took part in theunder 17 Nike cup. It is a sign of how good a prospect he is that he is playing for the Portugal under 17's at the age of 15!

Of course Manchester Utd have an advantage over many top flight rivals by not only having portugesse star Ronaldo and an assistant from Portugal, but as part of the training agreement there coaches have close links with ours.

Despite reports in the press the noise from the club is that he hasn't signed for Manchester Utd. However as far as I have found out it is really on a matter of time. Evandro has spoken to representatives of the Red Devils and Walsall have agreed terms and a fee and sell on clauses etc. Also due to the close liason which Walsall youth have with Manchester Utd, Evandro will spend time at Walsall as well as at the Manchester Carrington Road complex.

The only reason that there is a delay in completing the deal is that he is away with the under 17's until the 30th October. I guess thats how we paid for the new training ground then!

http://www.walsall.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=34648

oskarutd

Walsall glad to cash in on ace Brando
Nov 5 2006

By Lee Mclaughlan

WALSALL have admitted they risked losing promising teenage forward Evandro Brandao for nothing if they had not sold him to Manchester United.

The promising 15-year-old youth-team striker, who is also a Portuguese Under-17 international, has joined the Old Trafford club after impressing their scouts - including Sir Alex Ferguson's No.2, Carlos Queiroz.

It is a dream come true for the Angolan-born forward, who has earned Walsall an undisclosed but princely sum from the former Premiership champions.

The club's recruitment officer, Bill Jones, admitted they could have kept Brandao, a United fan, but were aware he would go for nothing at the end of the season.

"If we had stopped him going, which we could have done, he would probably have gone at the end of the year," said Jones.

Story continues
ADVERTISEMENT

"It's the same as the professionals. "But in all academies there are proper procedures for boys transferring from one club to another and we just followed that route.

"We will get compensation. It's not unusual in youth football.

"It is unusual in that it's Manchester United interested and not one of the smaller clubs."

Walsall have had the youngster in their centre of excellence for the past two years - he moved to the club after living in London for six years with his father.

"While he was in London he was coached by his dad and uncle," Jones said.

"Then a friend of mine, who'd done some coaching for me a few years back, recommended him to Mick Halsall and me.

"We invited him up to have a look at him and I think the boy was keen to leave London.

"He had a family friend who lived in Walsall so we brought him here for a fortnight and had a good look at him.

"We liked what we saw and put him in lodgings with his uncle in Walsall."

Walsall have spent the past two seasons developing Brandao but, once United spotted him, they actively pursued the Saddlers to bring him to the club.

United hooked up with the Bescot club at youth level a number of years ago but the project never got off the ground after being thrown out by the Football Association.

However, the clubs have remained on good terms and that played a significant part in the switch.

"He was spotted by Man United and they wrote and asked if they could have a look at him in the school holidays. We said 'no problem'," said Jones.

"He is a Man United nut - he lives and breathes them. He loved his time with them and they liked him.

"They then had a tournament not long back - the Nike Tournament in Manchester - and they asked if they could have permission to play him in that.

"We gave it and I went along and watched. To be fair, he was among the top two or three players there."

Walsall have lost a player with considerable potential but Jones admits that the income they will get from United will allow them to unearth more nuggets.

"We're losing a very good player," he said. "But, that said, the finance that we'll gain helps towards the running of the centre of excellence which takes an enormous amount of money."

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/sundaymercury/sport/tm_headline=walsall-glad-to-cash-in-on-ace-brando%26method=full%26objectid=18051748%26siteid=50002-name_page.html

PS18

http://www.maisfutebol.iol.pt/noticia.php?div_id=1194&id=751252

interesting article there, even if it is in Portuguese. mentions among other things that our Ronaldo is his idol, that (i think) he's tried to model himself on RvN (although all reports seem to suggest his finishing is the weakest area of his game), that he was at Blackburn before Walsall and that he's a big FC Porto fan (and as such was doubly keen for us to beat Benfica last week).

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
PS18 said:
http://www.maisfutebol.iol.pt/noticia.php?div_id=1194&id=751252

interesting article there, even if it is in Portuguese. mentions among other things that our Ronaldo is his idol, that (i think) he's tried to model himself on RvN (although all reports seem to suggest his finishing is the weakest area of his game), that he was at Blackburn before Walsall and that he's a big FC Porto fan (and as such was doubly keen for us to beat Benfica last week).
Can anyone translate this whole article?

Cheers

PS18

Evandro Brandao, U16 international, one of the most promising forwards in the national setup. Born in Luanda, but it was in England that he first started to play the game. First with Blackburn, later with Walsall, where he caught the attention of Carlos Queiroz. Now he is with Manchester United, home of Cristiano Ronaldo, one of his idols. A strong player, especially taking into account his youth, he is armed with excellent technique and models himself on the dutchman van Nistelrooy at Real Madrid.

Football runs in his veins. His father Orlando played for Santiago de Cacem, Praiense and Portosantense (not sure what the 1st of december bit means), while his uncle António played in the colors of Aljustrelense, Montijo, Torreense, Atletico, Immortal, Portimonense and Operário of the Azores. When he was just eleven years old, the Brandao family emigrated to London. Evandro quickly adapted to the climate and the language, and by the age of 13 was already playing with Blackburn Rovers.

With his strong physique and fine touch, he attracted the attention of Walsall, an english league two club with strong links to Manchester United. In his first year he scored ten goals in fourteen games, attracting attention from Old Trafford itself. Then, last summer, Evandro was invited to participate in the Nike Tournament. "It was there that I impressed. There were only a few games but I showed I had the qualities to improve. The coach Carlos Queiroz watched me, and it was he who indicated United's desire to sign me,", he said.

Evandro is still yet to play for Manchester United, as he waits for clearance from the Portuguese FA, but it is his dream to continue to progress and make Sir Alex Ferguson's starting eleven. "I have still not had a chance to speak to Carlos Queiroz. I spoke with Cristiano Ronaldo on the day I signed my contract - he wished me happiness and good luck. I still have lots of work to do - my dream is to play for the Manchester United first team", he continued.

Cristiano Ronaldo is one of his idols, but the player with whom he more closely identifies in his preferred position has recently left Manchester United. "Cristiano Ronaldo is one, Ronaldinho also, and of course van Nistelrooy, he is a role model in the way that he leads the line and the goals that he scores," he said.

It is the dutchman who inspires Evandro. In truth, those watching the under 16's train this week can see that his style is not very different to that of van Nistelrooy. <struggling with this next bit, but basically i think it's saying he plays on the fringes of the attack, but he's quick to get into good positions and quick to finish. he also talks about strikers always wanting to score goals etc>

Although only fifteen years old, Evandro has already represented Portugal at U17 level, largely due to his physical stature, but he does not see a return to the U16 side as a backwards step. "I just want to play for the national team. Playing for the U17's gives me great pleasure, but it is also with great pride that I play for the U16's", he declared.

When Benfica recently visited Old Trafford, Evandro was cheering on United not only because it is his new club, but also because he has been an FC Porto fan since childhood.
--------------------------------------------

I think that's fairly accurate, even with my limited grasp of Portuguese.

Justin

That sounds like a neat translation job, thanks a lot.

Keano-16

He's a United player. Not paper bollocks. Never saw him play and I'm Portuguese.