United Hour - Bursting Bubbles - West Ham, Bryan Robson & Swansea City

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
This week, Host Colm (@Duafc) is joined by Alex (@Alock1) & Nik (@Rood) to discuss United's opening day 4-0 hammering exerted on West Ham, Bryan Robson's place in the club's history, and lastly our upcoming match against bogey team Swansea.

As always, you can listen on the player above or find us on ITunes & any other Podcast apps.

Firstly, absolutely huge shout outs to @12OunceEpilogue for a fantastic editing job of this week's episode & secondly to @Schmiznurf who has turned up on Social Media activity and is tweeting galore. Get on there and give us a follow, and get tweeting him for his (our) thoughts! We'll be posting our FIFA preview in the coming days so keep an eye out for that, as it'll no doubt predict with the accuracy of Paul the Octopus.

For those who want to wish well to Tom Clare, here's the thread and the GoFundMe page. All at United Hour wishing him all our best wishes.

For news on J-Stand and what's going on there - here's Nik's thread which he'll be keeping updated as things progress.

Podomatic (download): https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/redcastpod/episodes/2017-08-16T16_02_29-07_00
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manchesterunitedpodcast/
Twitter:https://twitter.com/United_Hour

Please do like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter and share, re-tweet, post a review etc - all support is much appreciated!

Last edited:

Alock1

Here is the fantastic thread by @Joga Bonito on the great Bryan Robson which we reference during the episode. It's a fantastic piece so go and give it a read, watch the videos etc. and really try to take in just what a magnificent player & captain the man was for us.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Just started listening and heard you try and say my name, I think it was Alex who said it right, funnily enough the origin of the name is Papa Smurf from one of my old jobs when my friends started calling me Papa Smurf because of my beard, we used to joke about how we would turn into a gang and leave our symbol everywhere, a P with a smurf hat, so I decided to gangster the name up.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Great pod as always guys. Can't say I remember much of Robson as he left about 2 years after I started supporting United and I never had sports channels so could only watch match of the day.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Great stuff. Really enjoyed the Robson segment.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Top pod you three. As well as linking to the brilliant Robson thread are you also going to post the links to the J-Stand and Tom Clare fundraising efforts?

Last edited:

DazT

Thoroughly enjoyed the podcast guys. As a new member this is the first one that I have listened to but I will make sure that I listen to each one you do. Full of passion, insight and knowledge. Keep up the fantastic work lads.

Reactions: langster

Duafc

Village Lemon
Great pod as always guys. Can't say I remember much of Robson as he left about 2 years after I started supporting United and I never had sports channels so could only watch match of the day.
Yep, I too am very guilty of not really knowing too much about his mark on the club, think that's why this segment and Joga's thread are so worthwhile, for a lot of people it'll be a trip down memory lane for for an increasing number of fans it'll be something new.

Nice one boys, will give this a listen to while working. I'm sure it's a great listen to as always :)
Cheers mate! Let us know what you think.

Great stuff. Really enjoyed the Robson segment.
These segments quickly becoming my favourite part of the pod.

Top pod you three. As well as linking to the brilliant Robson thread are you also going to post the links to the J-Stand and Tom Clare fundraising efforts?
We surely are, I'll get Alex to them into the OP! @Alock1

Thoroughly enjoyed the podcast guys. As a new member this is the first one that I have listened to but I will make sure that I listen to each one you do. Full of passion, insight and knowledge. Keep up the fantastic work lads.
That's great!! Love to hear feedback from people who haven't listened before! Glad you enjoyed it mate.

:lol: Didn't see that part in your thread.

Inebriated bison

Great podcast lads. The story about Robson and Giggs had me in stitches. Had to rewind and listen to it again. I didn't really see Robson in his prime unfortunately, only his last couple of years when he didn't play as much, so he never really springs to mind when I think of the great players who have worn our number 7 shirt. I've always heard good things about him from my old man but haven't seen much of him myself. I like the idea of putting this new feature in the podcast though.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to next weeks podcast after we bang in another 4 goals

Alock1

For those who want to wish well to Tom Clare, here's the thread and the GoFundMe page. All at United Hour wishing him all our best wishes.

For news on J-Stand and what's going on there - here's Nik's thread which he'll be keeping updated as things progress.

red_devil83

Great pod guys. I like the new feature section where you chatted about the Robson thread etc

Alock1

Great podcast lads. The story about Robson and Giggs had me in stitches. Had to rewind and listen to it again. I didn't really see Robson in his prime unfortunately, only his last couple of years when he didn't play as much, so he never really springs to mind when I think of the great players who have worn our number 7 shirt. I've always heard good things about him from my old man but haven't seen much of him myself. I like the idea of putting this new feature in the podcast though.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to next weeks podcast after we bang in another 4 goals
Cheers mate - glad to hear you liked it. Yep, it seems a lot of us are the same when it comes to Robson, unintentionally unaware somewhat. Take some time out to go look through Joga's thread and see what he was all about.

Great pod guys. I like the new feature section where you chatted about the Robson thread etc
Thanks mate. Re the new history based feature, we're open to suggestions/requests - if there's a topic you want to be covered (United's Cup run in 19whatever, United-Arsenal rivalry in the 00's, a certain player or manager etc.) just let us know and we'll see what fits.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Great to have the pod dropping regularly. Not much to say cos I agreed with most!

Think you boys are being needlessly harsh on Tony Martial. I think his nose got put out of joint last season, with the number change and stuff, but I don't see him as another Anelka.

Personally I'd love to see Martial left, Rashford right. I think opposition full backs would struggle with that pace.

Alock1

Great to have the pod dropping regularly. Not much to say cos I agreed with most!

Think you boys are being needlessly harsh on Tony Martial. I think his nose got put out of joint last season, with the number change and stuff, but I don't see him as another Anelka.

Personally I'd love to see Martial left, Rashford right. I think opposition full backs would struggle with that pace.
It's impossible to say at this stage but I very much hope he isn't and goes on to great things with us because he's more than capable. And as spoke about, his mentality and ability to adapt was fantastic under Van Gaal in his first season, So hopefully that shows he isn't one dimension and can evolve because he's going to need to If he wants to lock down a starting position.

Both of them would be great to see, to ay least try. Maybe it's something he might be willing to try with a 3 in the middle behind him. Maybe Matic coming in frees up more than Pogba. Fingers crossed.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Cheers mate! Let us know what you think.
Thought it was another excellent episode mate. I like the thinking behind the layout of the last few episodes, so a review of the previous game, discussing other topics involving the club, other things in the premier league then previewing the upcoming game. The part about Bryan Robson was brilliant, Captain Marvel he was indeed and if that part becomes a permanent fixture in each podcast (looking at different club legends) it would be a very welcome addition.

As @#07 said i agreed with most things discussed this week. The performance of the team on Sunday was excellent, every player stepped up to the mark and put in a good solid display. Particularly agree about Blind. I love the player, think he has some brilliant qualities but was very poor in pre-season, but he was really good on Sunday. Other than being beaten for the Arnautović header that hit the bar, he was defending well and by offering some width down the left hand side it actually allowed us to spread the play easier than at times last season, and Rashford certainly benefited from it. Matic / Pogba were fantastic, trying to not use hyperbole so early in the season (!) but they were so good to watch. I think against the wee-er teams they will be the two that play and we will go with 4 attackers and put teams to the sword.

On Martial v Rashford, I think the fact that Rashford constantly looks busy seems to get him more playing time, not necessarily that he does/is doing more than Martial. I think Tony can beat a man easier at times, and has far more composure in front of goal, but Rashford is always harrying the opposition and they get no respite, which at times is why I think Rashford seems to be preferred by Jose. However, I think there was a few things wrong off the pitch with Tony last season, and I can see him having an excellent season with us. Sunday showed he has lost none of the coolness in front of goal, and getting the assist too will do him the world of good. Tomorrow I would love to see us go Martial - Henrikh - Rashford across the three and Lukaku up front.

The part about the murals was awesome, seeing the pics of the Robson one are so good and if there are more to come that is class :devil: and I definitely think for signing of the season for us it will be Matic. Lukaku will get the goals and be brilliant for us too, but the difference Matic has already made to our play and the steel/composure he has shown already fill me with real optimism for the season ahead. If he can play like that all year he will certainly be up there as one of the players of the season.

Tomorrow expecting a 3-0 win. Can see the boys continuing with the confidence and Lukaku, Rashford and Martial all to score. Might be OTT but feck it :drool::keano:

May have rambled on, apologies! But really enjoying seeing the podcast being available as often as it is just now. I will keep liking and sharing on Twitter too to get the awareness raised. Keep up the good fight boys! @Duafc @Alock1 @Rood

vidic blood & sand

Good discussion.

I remember as a kid walking the dog to the newsagent every morning to get the latest transfer news from the newspaper, years before the internet, and when papers didn't just print fabricated rumours.
The Robson transfer from Westbrom to us or liverpool was the saga of the summer of 81. We all felt that with Atkinson as manager, and Robson in the team we could win the league at last. When we finally signed him, and got Remi Moses thrown as well I think, we were all so confident. Then the excitement increased when it became official a few weeks later that we had put in an offer for Frank Stapleton at Arsenal.
The reason why I have fond memories of United in the 80s is because we had a team that played exciting attacking football, and on the day could beat any team on the planet. Garry Bailey bless him was a bit prone to gaffes, and defenders like Kevin Moran, Mike Duxbury and Graham Hogg weren't the best. One of the greatest memories of Robbo that epitomises his determination as a player and leadership, was the equaliser he got us in the FA cup semi final replay against Liverpool in 85. Liverpool hardly had a kick in the first game, yet they some how managed to equalise twice. In the replay Liverpool took the lead in the first half, and looked more likely to score again.
Then in the second half Robbo took the game by the scruff of the neck running through the midfield with defenders hanging off him, and hitting a 30 yarder in the top corner.

ice-bionic red

Great podcast again guys. Sounds like you've sorted the sound problems out from last season. Seems better anyway? Weekly too cool ;)

AR87

Great episode.

Enjoyed the conversation about Matic's signing as I was on board with that before it was official and I'm happy to see hm get off to such a wonderful start.

Interesting regarding the Martial comp to Anelka as I don't feel he's as much of an enigma and he's still very young. Hard to peg him as one thing or another at such a young age and he still has every opportunity ahead to stake his claim at United. He does seem well liked by his teammates for one that rarely shows any emotions.

Duafc

Village Lemon
:lol: Normally it doesn't register with me but listening back I did think it was particularly strong.

Surely then there's still hope for your wegie, moosey mixed up accent!

I think i am overly harsh on him, but it's only because I rate him so highly it frustrates me that he couldnt make it click more last year, a victim of his own high performances really.

Good discussion.

I remember as a kid walking the dog to the newsagent every morning to get the latest transfer news from the newspaper, years before the internet, and when papers didn't just print fabricated rumours.
The Robson transfer from Westbrom to us or liverpool was the saga of the summer of 81. We all felt that with Atkinson as manager, and Robson in the team we could win the league at last. When we finally signed him, and got Remi Moses thrown as well I think, we were all so confident. Then the excitement increased when it became official a few weeks later that we had put in an offer for Frank Stapleton at Arsenal.
The reason why I have fond memories of United in the 80s is because we had a team that played exciting attacking football, and on the day could beat any team on the planet. Garry Bailey bless him was a bit prone to gaffes, and defenders like Kevin Moran, Mike Duxbury and Graham Hogg weren't the best. One of the greatest memories of Robbo that epitomises his determination as a player and leadership, was the equaliser he got us in the FA cup semi final replay against Liverpool in 85. Liverpool hardly had a kick in the first game, yet they some how managed to equalise twice. In the replay Liverpool took the lead in the first half, and looked more likely to score again.
Then in the second half Robbo took the game by the scruff of the neck running through the midfield with defenders hanging off him, and hitting a 30 yarder in the top corner.
:lol: that's awesome. I remember a similar sort of thing with Marcelo Salas in 98, 99. We were in France for the WC and all the papers were calling it nailed on but we couldn't get Lazio to sell. To be honest I'd much rather go back to the mystery and lack of information rather than 70 tweets everyday.

Been listening for ages now, you guys have really gotten the hang of this podcasting thing. Keep up the good work lads.
You have mate! It's very much appreciated.

Great podcast again guys. Sounds like you've sorted the sound problems out from last season. Seems better anyway? Weekly too cool ;)
Yep, Alex has sorted us out with similar mics and the editing is definitely up a level, makes a big difference!

Great episode.

Enjoyed the conversation about Matic's signing as I was on board with that before it was official and I'm happy to see hm get off to such a wonderful start.

Interesting regarding the Martial comp to Anelka as I don't feel he's as much of an enigma and he's still very young. Hard to peg him as one thing or another at such a young age and he still has every opportunity ahead to stake his claim at United. He does seem well liked by his teammates for one that rarely shows any emotions.
It's an interesting comparison I think but I fully expect him to have a good, if not great career with either us or someone else (hopefully us!!) so I think it's only a good comparison for now!

Deleted member 101472

@Duafc is there a guest slot open in the near future? I had discussed it before with nick but work took over.

Duafc

Village Lemon
@Duafc is there a guest slot open in the near future? I had discussed it before with nick but work took over.
Yes pal, we've a list of people who've shown an interest and are working through it, think ones lined up already for the next pod but i'll give you a shout!

Deleted member 101472

Yes pal, we've a list of people who've shown an interest and are working through it, think ones lined up already for the next pod but i'll give you a shout!
Roger, I'll sort some recording software out.

Warning: my voice is deeper than yours.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
for those too lazy to listen to the whole thing here is the Swansea preview

Cheers to @Damien for these and do follow both us and Redcafe on Twitter if you havent already so you can get these in future

Alock1

AR87

@FultonRed, @DazT, @Inebriated bison, @red_devil83, @Arbitrium, #07, @vidic blood & sand, @ice-bionic red, @AR87, @langster, @Mark_GrumpyLion

Any ideas/suggestions for our historical segments guys? Could be a player, manager, a cup run, a season, even a rivalry between a certain team (Arse early noughties) etc.etc.

And do you have any questions for this week's episode - we're recording tonight.
Idk how this would work but I'd be curious to know in the mid 2000s how you felt during the title drought while Chelsea were running rampant and did you think that Ferguson's persistence with building around Rooney/Ronaldo would pay off. Also would like to know when, if ever, before reclaiming the title in 06/07 you all felt confident about United challenging again and what if anything specifically happened to make you feel optimistic again.

Hope that made sense.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
@Alock1 that question is almost too broad. We've had so many great players and seasons. I like @langster's Kanchelskis idea.

However, given this is a new thing I don't think you can look beyond Cantona. He had everything, he was everything, he did everything (two red cards in a week! :lol:) There's so much there to talk about.

Only other suggestion, given it's the Champions League draw next week, would be a focus on United in the European Cup between 1994 and 1999. Again an excuse to talk about Cantona, what with him getting into it against Galatasaray :lol:, but also such a nostalgic era. Back in the days when the romance of the European Cup was still there, when being in it was a privilege not an expectation. When we re-learned how to play European football at the highest level: from great nights against Porto, to awful ones against Monaco, and the inevitable run-in with Dortmund or Juve. The journey of United back to the top of European football would be a great segment to listen to.

Inebriated bison

I'd like to see some time dedicated to Phil Neville's stepovers. This is from the class of 92 where he talks about it and Roy Keanes reaction is typical of him.

But seriously, I like the idea of a Cantona segment, he was the first United legend of my lifetime. Whatever you decide to talk about in the historical segment, if you could find any funny stories that not everyone knows about, like stories that players might have put in their autobiographies or something, I think that sort of thing would be interesting.

Looking forward to listening to it.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
@FultonRed, @DazT, @Inebriated bison, @red_devil83, @Arbitrium, #07, @vidic blood & sand, @ice-bionic red, @AR87, @langster, @Mark_GrumpyLion

Any ideas/suggestions for our historical segments guys? Could be a player, manager, a cup run, a season, even a rivalry between a certain team (Arse early noughties) etc.etc.

And do you have any questions for this week's episode - we're recording tonight.
@Alock1 sorry man just seen this.
I agree with others who have said Kanchelskis, or Cantona. Or Keane :D

Maybe to be in keeping with the Champions League draw coming up in the week, thoughts on previous triumphs in the European Cup and how far away we are from reaching those sort of heights again. Something like @#07 idea would be cool :)

Alock1

Some great ideas guys, keep them coming please as we will look to do this every week so need plenty to get through :)

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Later on it would be nice to see something about Martin Buchan if possible. I know we need to spread it around the eras a bit so just keep him in mind for later on.

red_devil83

How about the failed Michael Knighton takeover? You might have to do some research though

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Idk how this would work but I'd be curious to know in the mid 2000s how you felt during the title drought while Chelsea were running rampant and did you think that Ferguson's persistence with building around Rooney/Ronaldo would pay off. Also would like to know when, if ever, before reclaiming the title in 06/07 you all felt confident about United challenging again and what if anything specifically happened to make you feel optimistic again.

Hope that made sense.
So we went for this suggestion in the end for the historical section of this week's show, actually struggled to keep it to the point and probably could have done a whole hour just chatting about that period with no title from '03 to '06 - recorded last night so will drop in the next couple of days

cheers for all the suggestions as well - will try to do them all at some point