United Hour - Doc Review, Fan Forum, Transfers and Euros Preview

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Imran(@Annihilate Now!) and Jamie(@Vault Dweller) take the controls for this episode as they review the documentary Sir Alex Ferguson: Never Give In. (spoilers!) Our delectable daddy-o's take a look at what came out of Joel Glazer's appearance at the Fans Forum and they discuss potential transfers and potential targets. Rounding out this installment, our boys look forward to the Euros and give their predictions and expectations for their national teams. Enjoy!

Listen to the episode on our new hosting site, Sport Social! - https://podcast.sport-social.co.uk/podcast/united-hour/

Also please share, tweet, follow and all that good stuff
Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/united-hour/id902792476
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manchesterunitedpodcast/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/unitedhour/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/United_Hour
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/UnitedHour

Don't forget to visit https://uk.manscaped.com/?redirect=1 and get 20% off plus Free Shipping when you use the code UNITEDHOUR - Don't miss out!

And don't worry troops, I've fixed my audio quality so back to my best :D

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
@Annihilate Now! the best England squad you can remember? Surely the 'Golden Generation' was better?
strong attack and fullbacks but major question marks everywhere else

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
@Annihilate Now! the best England squad you can remember? Surely the 'Golden Generation' was better?
First 11 is worse, but there is huge squad depth!

redmanx

The best ever England squad was that of the 1970 World Cup in Mexico. It has been claimed that England were targetted from the start in the hope of upsetting their routine; Bobby Moore was wrongfully arrested and detained in Bogotta, Columbia; rival fans kept the team awake by singing outside the England squads hotel; Gordon Banks went down with food poisoning before the match with West Germany, an incident never properly explained as the entire squad ate the same meals and nobody else became ill; Geoff Hurst had what would have been a perfectly legitimate and winning goal against West Germany ruled out for "offside" in a game in which Peter Bonetti made some of the worst errors in his career. England would have beaten Italy in the Semi Final setting up another match against Brazil.......No other England squad has come anywhere near them

FatTails

England are top heavy, like the many Argentinian national teams over the past decade. In international football, a solid defence and controlling midfield is more important than a wealth of lethal attackers (see Spain, Portugal, even the nature of France’s WC win).

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The best ever England squad was that of the 1970 World Cup in Mexico. It has been claimed that England were targetted from the start in the hope of upsetting their routine; Bobby Moore was wrongfully arrested and detained in Bogotta, Columbia; rival fans kept the team awake by singing outside the England squads hotel; Gordon Banks went down with food poisoning before the match with West Germany, an incident never properly explained as the entire squad ate the same meals and nobody else became ill; Geoff Hurst had what would have been a perfectly legitimate and winning goal against West Germany ruled out for "offside" in a game in which Peter Bonetti made some of the worst errors in his career. England would have beaten Italy in the Semi Final setting up another match against Brazil.......No other England squad has come anywhere near them
Before our time so will have to take your word for it!

England have never travelled well TBF, best performances have been at home and this tournament is almost a home tournament so fingers crossed

Ish

Lights on for Luke
England are top heavy, like the many Argentinian national teams over the past decade. In international football, a solid defence and controlling midfield is more important than a wealth of lethal attackers (see Spain, Portugal, even the nature of France’s WC win).
Yep, even Greece's 2004 Euro win was built off the back of defensive solidity.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
2004 Euros had the best squad and team imo. Yet we still ended up playing Darius Vassel up front!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
2004 Euros had the best squad and team imo. Yet we still ended up playing Darius Vassel up front!
Sven also loved bloody Heskey - the original defensive forward

It's a toss up between 2002 and 2004 for me - a lot of similarity in squads but different players at their peaks.
Both times much stronger squads than today in my opinion

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sven also loved bloody Heskey - the original defensive forward

It's a toss up between 2002 and 2004 for me - a lot of similarity in squads but different players at their peaks.
Both times much stronger squads than today in my opinion
Yeah agreed. 2002 had the better goalkeeper and a younger Beckham, Scholes etc. 2004 had Rooney, Terry and Lampard. It’s a toss up between those two anyway for me.

redmanx

Before our time so will have to take your word for it!

England have never travelled well TBF, best performances have been at home and this tournament is almost a home tournament so fingers crossed
My fingers are crossed hoping thant all Uniteds players in the tournament come through it unscathed!

redmanx

The so called Golden Generation had some great players in what should have been a Golden Age of English football; unfortunately we only had bronze age managers throughout this time.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The so called Golden Generation had some great players in what should have been a Golden Age of English football; unfortunately we only had bronze age managers throughout this time.
It was Southgate himself who said 'We needed Churchill, we got Ian Duncan-Smith'

it was Sven who had the peak squad and everyone moaned about only reached the Quarters but then he left and we all wished we got as far as the Quarters - McLaren didn't even qualify FFS!

redmanx

It was Southgate himself who said 'We needed Churchill, we got Ian Duncan-Smith'

it was Sven who had the peak squad and everyone moaned about only reached the Quarters but then he left and we all wished we got as far as the Quarters - McLaren didn't even qualify FFS!
After 1996 Terry Venables should have been England manager for at least the following 98 world cup, 2000 euros and 2002 world cup but the suits didnt like him, just as with Brian Clough years before. Every England manager is selected not because he is the right man for the job but because he ticks the all FAs boxes. I was amazed when I read that Gareth Southgate, a decent bloke and decent manager, was quite low down on the FAs list because "decent" is the catch word as far the suits are concerned. Im not saying the England manager should be an out and out villain but nice guys usually finish last.