United Hour - Gdansk Gdansk We're Falling Apart In Extra Time (EL Final Defeat)

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nik and Imran review Manchester United's bitterly disappointing Europa League Final loss on penalties to Villarreal.

Is it the players or Ole to blame? What could they have done differently?

A look back at our recent history in penalty shoot outs, this was our 4th since Sir Alex Ferguson retired

We assess what this means for the season as a whole and look forward to Euro 2020 and the vital summer transfer window.

Listen to the episode on our new hosting site, Sport Social! - https://podcast.sport-social.co.uk/podcast/united-hour/

Also please share, tweet, follow and all that good stuff
Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/united-hour/id902792476
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manchesterunitedpodcast/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/unitedhour/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/United_Hour
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/UnitedHour

Don't forget to visit https://uk.manscaped.com/?redirect=1 and get 20% off plus Free Shipping when you use the code UNITEDHOUR - Don't miss out!

And don't worry, Jamie isn't on this one so no chance of bad audio quality :lol:

SAF is the GOAT

All of the things we were saying along the season combined and occurred in one game :
1. Lack of positioning on free kicks and corners
2. Lack of creativity, and beating and penetrating a low block
3. Our CB's not good enough
4. Our keeper not controlling his box
5. Absence of a wing play

Reactions: Rood

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
All of the things we were saying along the season combined and occurred in one game :
1. Lack of positioning on free kicks and corners
2. Lack of creativity, and beating and penetrating a low block
3. Our CB's not good enough
4. Our keeper not controlling his box
5. Absence of a wing play
Yep - as said on the pod, this match showcased all the themes that have run through the whole season

6. Going behind after a poor first half
7. Much improved 2nd half
8. Lack of subs

Just missed that extra goal for the usual comeback

croadyman

Please tell me you weren't uber positive after just accepting penalties halfway though the second half, you also really need to start acknowledging there is a major issue with the coaching staff and even more so Ole seemingly not being willing to change it

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Please tell me you weren't uber positive after just accepting penalties halfway though the second half, you also really need to start acknowledging there is a major issue with the coaching staff and even more so Ole seemingly not being willing to change it
did you listen? its hardly an 'uber positive' show - we acknowledge there are issues and improvement is needed, Ole deserves more time to deliver it

croadyman

did you listen? its hardly an 'uber positive' show - we acknowledge there are issues and improvement is needed, Ole deserves more time to deliver it
Why does he deserve more time when people like Zidane are available is my point, so presumably if he gets say TWO from CB, DM & RW in the summer but things don't significantly improve you will accept the fact that he's not the right man for this club because then will be no more excuses left for him.

Last edited:

Lyng

Why does he deserve more time when people like Zidane are available is my point, so presumably if he gets say TWO from CB, DM & RW in the summer but things don't significantly improve you will accept the fact that he's not the right man for this club because then will be no more excuses left for him.
We ended up second in the league with a squad that is clearly lacking.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I said as much on the pod... winning the Europa would have put a lot of goodwill in his account, but now, if things aren't going well into next season he has to be looking over his shoulder at the very least.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Because there is clear progress and as long as that continues then I'm happy for Ole to stay

TBF since we came 2nd and reached a final then progress next season has to be a proper title challenge or a trophy

Stacks

Because there is clear progress and as long as that continues then I'm happy for Ole to stay

TBF since we came 2nd and reached a final then progress next season has to be a proper title challenge or a trophy
we weren't very close to the champions and finished a few points off Liverpool who had a "disastrous season". I feel expecting a title challenge next season is super wishful thinking. We can come 3 pt higher next season and its "clear progress". Question is what is enough progress? Also you can progress but never actually be likely to achieve your end goal. Is there belief that Ole can contend for major honours? He will be up against Tuchel (2 times CL finalist and 1 times winner) Klopp (3 times CL finalist 1 times winner) Pep (3 times CL finalists 2 times winner) compared with Ole (1 times Europa finalist). That said I believe he should indeed go into next season as the coach and be backed but its his final shot for silverware imo.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
we weren't very close to the champions and finished a few points off Liverpool who had a "disastrous season". I feel expecting a title challenge next season is super wishful thinking. We can come 3 pt higher next season and its "clear progress". Question is what is enough progress? Also you can progress but never actually be likely to achieve your end goal. Is there belief that Ole can contend for major honours? He will be up against Tuchel (2 times CL finalist and 1 times winner) Klopp (3 times CL finalist 1 times winner) Pep (3 times CL finalists 2 times winner) compared with Ole (1 times Europa finalist). That said I believe he should indeed go into next season as the coach and be backed but its his final shot for silverware imo.
The progress this season is clear to see so Ole deserves another year, you could argue we had a title challenge already so wont need a huge improvement to get a title race until end of next season

3pts higher alone is not clear progress though - depends on the details; cup runs, how far away from 1st, style of play etc