United Hour Podcast - Ep18 - "I was wrong..." (Midtjylland Review)

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
"...It's all shit"

This week, host Imran (@Annihilate Now! ) is joined by Markus (@Stobzilla ) and Alex (@Alock1 ) moments after United's painful or hilarious (depending on how you see it) Europa League loss at the hands of Midtjylland. We find time to criticse the players, the manager, the board, the club as well as ourselves and early 2000's SkyOne dramas...

Podomatic: http://redcastpod.podomatic.com/entry/2016-02-19T09_17_14-08_00
Email: unitedhour@gmail.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/United_Hour
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manchesterunitedpodcast/?fref=ts

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

To me it's like having a total waste of space of a kid. You'd love them anyway but they would pee you off nearly every time you see them.

Raw

Depressing, just the way I like it. Though I can't wait to hear the excitement on the pod when LVG does get sacked :lol:

Americano

Make America Great Again!
Very fair points about the performances of players who have left the club.

I very much agree that Van Gaal has not made our players better, completely the opposite.

Instant classic: "What kind of idiot takes what's working, and changes it?"

Perrick Dubois

Good pod guys, I've found it fascinating that as the graspable elements on the field have been slowly slipping away the passion that Markus had for Van Gaal has disappeared and he's clinging to the love of his club and scratching around trying to make heads or tales of the situation. I seem to remember him really defending Van Gaal. Hence the "i'm wrong". But one thing I will say is that I'm not having any of that rubbish that "years of under investment" absolutely get to feck with that utter shite. The man had the league bent over and was dry bumming it while the club built the commercial enterprise off the back of it for the future, when he finally left. Grinds my gears when people try to slip that shite in there underhanded in hindsight. "Well SAF should have invested more" 13/21 league championships boss, I mean come on.

Also, I just want to say Valencia is a winger. He will always be a winger, he will finish his career as a winger. No amount of playing a couple of seasons as a backup right back will ever make the guy a legitimate right back. His merit in the squad is an X choice winger and when there is literally no other fullbacks to play to play at right back and all of the other backups we have are either crap or injured he can do a shift there in emergency. The squad balance argument was spot on (from Alex?). We went into the season 6 spots short of the senior cap. Van Gaal seems to favour having some players as multi-functional but then not setting up correctly to utilize this. The multi-functional players end up having to play first choice in some position while never being able to be the utility backup. It has been a bizarre lesson in squad mismanagement from Van Gaal all round.

"Kewwwl, that'll come down to an hour.."

Fully Fledged

Bit harsh, it's a decent podcast in my opinion
Good pod guys, I've found it fascinating that as the graspable elements on the field have been slowly slipping away the passion that Markus had for Van Gaal has disappeared and he's clinging to the love of his club and scratching around trying to make heads or tales of the situation. I seem to remember him really defending Van Gaal. Hence the "i'm wrong". But one thing I will say is that I'm not having any of that rubbish that "years of under investment" absolutely get to feck with that utter shite. The man had the league bent over and was dry bumming it while the club built the commercial enterprise off the back of it for the future, when he finally left. Grinds my gears when people try to slip that shite in there underhanded in hindsight. "Well SAF should have invested more" 13/21 league championships boss, I mean come on.

Also, I just want to say Valencia is a winger. He will always be a winger, he will finish his career as a winger. No amount of playing a couple of seasons as a backup right back will ever make the guy a legitimate right back. His merit in the squad is an X choice winger and when there is literally no other fullbacks to play to play at right back and all of the other backups we have are either crap or injured he can do a shift there in emergency. The squad balance argument was spot on (from Alex?). We went into the season 6 spots short of the senior cap. Van Gaal seems to favour having some players as multi-functional but then not setting up correctly to utilize this. The multi-functional players end up having to play first choice in some position while never being able to be the utility backup. It has been a bizarre lesson in squad mismanagement from Van Gaal all round.

"Kewwwl, that'll come down to an hour.."
To true.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Good pod, really suited the mood we are all in I feel. Just a bit annoyed when two people try to argue against each other using LOUD VOICES as their main argument, I could not follow a thing a few times.
Fair mate but I feel we did manage to make a fair few differing and fair points.

Also, remember werecorded like 15 minutes after the game. It's just the passion coming through

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Good pod, really suited the mood we are all in I feel. Just a bit annoyed when two people try to argue against each other using LOUD VOICES as their main argument, I could not follow a thing a few times.
It's Alex and Marcus' default setting these days! There was loads more of it too... Edited around quite a few instances...

It's why I go for the withdrawn approach...

Mark_GrumpyLion

Fair mate but I feel we did manage to make a fair few differing and fair points.

Also, remember werecorded like 15 minutes after the game. It's just the passion coming through
It's Alex and Marcus' default setting these days! There was loads more of it too... Edited around quite a few instances...

It's why I go for the withdrawn approach...
Honestly, I do not mind it that much, especially when you consider the circumstances. Just saying that it makes the arguments a bit harder to follow :)

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Points raised echoed my thoughts too.

Where is our leadership and fight and teamwork. The team is just 11 people earning a wage and going through the motions.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
But one thing I will say is that I'm not having any of that rubbish that "years of under investment" absolutely get to feck with that utter shite. The man had the league bent over and was dry bumming it while the club built the commercial enterprise off the back of it for the future, when he finally left. Grinds my gears when people try to slip that shite in there underhanded in hindsight. "Well SAF should have invested more" 13/21 league championships boss, I mean come on.
I totally agree - Ive had people telling me this week that our current problems are all down to not spending the Ronaldo money, it was 7 bloody years ago!
Plus we have always had one of the highest wage levels in football and that is a much better indicator of squad investment than net spend metrics people go on about.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Desperately hoping for the celebration pod. Van Gaal has truly sucked the life out of Old Trafford.

Glad to see it noted how players who escape Van Gaal get better, and those who he micromanages get worse. Think Daniel Harris was right to hold up Herrera as an example of this in his yahoo piece. I fear for Martial's development if he has another year under philosophy.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Normally the podcast is a warm and comfy blanket, this week it was a harsh and scratchy one. It really does say something when Imran was the most moderate and least ranty member. Although I found it hard to disagree with much said.

Just a couple of points really. It really is disgusting me how disrespectful many people are being towards Sir Alex and all he achieved for United. (not on the podcast) but I've seen a few people in the forums saying that Sir Alex calculated when he was going to leave knowing the squad/team was inferior and couldn't win anymore, despite him leaving a title winning side. I've also seen a few saying Sir Alex (and Sir Bobby) don't give a shit about United nor do the Glazers or Woodward or anyone in charge. That is obviously bollocks because nobody wants a team to not win or not do well and no matter how much money they make from sponsorships and merchandising, that will dry up without success on the pitch. Sir Alex's achievements are being tarnished by people only ever bringing up the Moyes appointment, or continually using it as a stick to beat him with.

I also feel that LvG banged on so much about balance in his first year in charge, yet despite spending a fortune, he has left the squad more unbalanced than it has been for a very long time. Its funny how he doesn't mention it anymore, yet it's such a glaring weakness and problem with the squad. We have gone from having a severe problem in the centre of midfield to now having too many in that area, and none are being used properly and they don't really fit properly either.

Personally I think the squad is in better shape than many would have us believe they are just not being used/played properly. Two of the biggest problems are the injuries and too many "John O'Shea/Phil Neville" type players. Hernandez should never have left and Fellaini should have gone last Summer. I also don't think Schneiderlin has fit in at all and Schweinsteiger has been as many predicted a bit of an old crock.

Looking at our current squad I think it's perfect for an attacking 4-4-2. Herrera and Carrick or one of SAS in midfield, with Lingard/Memphis or Januzaj on the wings. Shaw and Darmien as full backs with Young and Valencia as cover in either position, and with Rooney injured Hernandez and Martial would be perfect up front or just one with Mata just behind. Blind and Rojo are defensive cover and Smalling as CB. Jones has proved he is a crock so a decent CB needs/needed to be purchased and Wilson and Keane could be back up strikers and given a chance. Pierrera could also be used too. It's not as bad as it's being made out to be and we could easily have had top 4 with the right combination of players. Even Di Maria could have fit in well and then we just need to buy well in the Summer. But it's all been a clusterfeck.

Sorry, I'm rambling and probably making no sense. I guess I'm just a little angry and upset by it all.

Nice podcast lads, and can't wait till the next one.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You speak a lot of sense there @langster, totally with you on the disrespecting Fergie stuff - that brain surgery obviously improved your opinions ;)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'm listening now - good so far. But one of the guys (not Imran, I think Alex), his voice sounds a bit funny through the pod...not as cleanly recorded as the other 2. The other two are really clear.
ye that was Alex, we are not quite sure why it is doing that - ironic since he always used to bang on at me to get a decent mic so I bought the same one as him and now his sound is shit!

Perrick Dubois

I also feel that LvG banged on so much about balance in his first year in charge, yet despite spending a fortune, he has left the squad more unbalanced than it has been for a very long time. Its funny how he doesn't mention it anymore, yet it's such a glaring weakness and problem with the squad. We have gone from having a severe problem in the centre of midfield to now having too many in that area, and none are being used properly and they don't really fit properly either.

Personally I think the squad is in better shape than many would have us believe they are just not being used/played properly. Two of the biggest problems are the injuries and too many "John O'Shea/Phil Neville" type players. Hernandez should never have left and Fellaini should have gone last Summer. I also don't think Schneiderlin has fit in at all and Schweinsteiger has been as many predicted a bit of an old crock.
These two statements are kind'of at odds with each other. But in the spirit of noble discussion and away from the flaming tongues of the general Caf I just wanted to argue my point about players like Fellaini. As much as the general consensus around these parts is that he is a very very shit footballer, he seems to be the only one that when playing looks like he gives a toss about the shirt. Which is one massive thing that is missing. He actually puts in a shift and that leads me onto the "squad" issue. There just isn't enough of these players in the squad, those players have been removed in favor of young guys who have proven that many simply aren't ready.

The issue you mention that the "squad" is in better shape, I think the opposite. The squad is an absolute mess and where you need controlled gaps for the youth to peek through, we've got gaping holes where Van Gaal has to basically hand a whole bunch of privates the rifle and kick them out of the trench and onto the front line. It, to me is absolute lunacy and the complete opposite of how to blood youth. I don't know if that was his intention all along or it was part of the plan but it has been pretty disasterous in my opinion and detrimental to the development of our youth squad.

Van Gaal must be an absolutely abhorrent man manager of what we see and believe is true. It just seems to me that anyone who needs a carrot dangled in front of them to put on the shirt and bleed for the cause is basically taken out back and shot and replaced with young players and the first team has had all its grafters seemingly removed in favor of technical players who in my opinion have struggled due to the pace and fight required to do well in the league.

It is really a truly bizarre situation there are so many aspects of his tenure that are at odds with each other the whole thing when you pan back to me looks like a giant mess and people are somehow praising his "genius".. Really odd in my view.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
And he said we were ranty...:lol:

Agree on the Fergie stuff though. I dont actually think it's necessarily wrong to say there was a lack of investment or the squad wasnt as strong as it should be though.. but how can you blame Fergie or the board for that when we were absolutely dominating. In 7 years we won or were within a point of every title.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
These two statements are kind'of at odds with each other. But in the spirit of noble discussion and away from the flaming tongues of the general Caf I just wanted to argue my point about players like Fellaini. As much as the general consensus around these parts is that he is a very very shit footballer, he seems to be the only one that when playing looks like he gives a toss about the shirt. Which is one massive thing that is missing. He actually puts in a shift and that leads me onto the "squad" issue. There just isn't enough of these players in the squad, those players have been removed in favor of young guys who have proven that many simply aren't ready.

The issue you mention that the "squad" is in better shape, I think the opposite. The squad is an absolute mess and where you need controlled gaps for the youth to peek through, we've got gaping holes where Van Gaal has to basically hand a whole bunch of privates the rifle and kick them out of the trench and onto the front line. It, to me is absolute lunacy and the complete opposite of how to blood youth. I don't know if that was his intention all along or it was part of the plan but it has been pretty disasterous in my opinion and detrimental to the development of our youth squad.

Van Gaal must be an absolutely abhorrent man manager of what we see and believe is true. It just seems to me that anyone who needs a carrot dangled in front of them to put on the shirt and bleed for the cause is basically taken out back and shot and replaced with young players and the first team has had all its grafters seemingly removed in favor of technical players who in my opinion have struggled due to the pace and fight required to do well in the league.

It is really a truly bizarre situation there are so many aspects of his tenure that are at odds with each other the whole thing when you pan back to me looks like a giant mess and people are somehow praising his "genius".. Really odd in my view.
I agree on Fellaini and Ive always said he gets too much unwarranted abuse - but Im not sure what other 'grafters' you are talking about?

Also although LvG clearly wanted to promote a few youth players this season, there is no way he planned to blood so many - the injury situation at fullback is unprecented, down to something like our 6th choice at RB and clearly you just cant plan for that.

I actually think the squad is in decent shape, of course it needs a couple of additions and I am surprised we didnt bring anyone in the last window - we have clearly been short up front all year.

VanGaalyTime

Just finished the pod. Great stuff, guys. Agreed on the impact of injuries and squad cutting. Also agree on the fact that the scatter-gun approach to bringing youth players in being a part of the problem. You guys think Wilson will come back now, with Keane getting injured just as Rooney puts his feet up for 6 weeks?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Just finished the pod. Great stuff, guys. Agreed on the impact of injuries and squad cutting. Also agree on the fact that the scatter-gun approach to bringing youth players in being a part of the problem. You guys think Wilson will come back now, with Keane getting injured just as Rooney puts his feet up for 6 weeks?
I think Wilson is also injured isnt he? has not played for a couple of weeks for Brighton

Perrick Dubois

I agree on Fellaini and Ive always said he gets too much unwarranted abuse - but Im not sure what other 'grafters' you are talking about?

Also although LvG clearly wanted to promote a few youth players this season, there is no way he planned to blood so many - the injury situation at fullback is unprecented, down to something like our 6th choice at RB and clearly you just cant plan for that.

I actually think the squad is in decent shape, of course it needs a couple of additions and I am surprised we didnt bring anyone in the last window - we have clearly been short up front all year.
None, that is my point. All of the "graft" has been replaced with raw green youngsters. I know you can't plan for your 6th choice right back but surely you have to build a squad properly by actually having established senior players already holding down the roles and having the utility players play utility roles. Blind for example can play all four roles at the back and practically all four midfield positions (LW/DM/CM/RW if he wanted to). Yet somehow found his way into first choice CB which rendered the utility aspect of his game completely pointless.

If you look at the senior players that made up our defensive structure going into the season; (I included Blind at CB because the way he became first choice literally meant he has rarely played at fullback..)

Central Defenders: Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Blind.
Fullbacks: Shaw (19/20 so still learning, but accomplished), Darmian.

The rest are Young and Valencia (converted wingers who should be "there is literally no other fullbacks to play fullback and your CB's are crap so you have to play to make up the numbers" tier fullbacks) and then the young guys like Tyler Blackett and McNair (Keane, Wooton, Thorpe who have been moved along) coming through who - lets face it - are not ready at all to step up. Don't get me wrong I wanted to see more of Varela and CBJ has been incredibly effective when stepping in to cover. But are we really 100% sure that there was adequate and proper planning when you literally only have six senior defenders for four first team positions while we are 6 players short of the senior registration cap?

I don't meant to be really negative but I am pretty skeptical that at least two or three defensive players could have been brought in or retained to cover the burden before the young players got dropped in it like they have been. This is what I mean about LVG being balls swingingly mad or possibly being such an appalling man manager that he couldn't retain some players or keep some squaddies happy to sit 3rd or 4th choice. Everywhere I look in the squad there is literally no 3rd choice senior player, it is a young player. That is alarm bells ringing on his man management skills imo.

A couple of additions, in my opinion should really be at minimum the amount short of the senior rego cap, really. It is all well and good to see a few young guys poke through but when you can't even get 18 senior players (with an academy player for the record to continue) on the team sheet because you have a few injuries.... (well a lot of injuries)... I remain unconvinced if I am honest. It is just way to big a hole to fill with young guys in my opinion.

In my opinion, being short up front is fine when you've got young guys to step up, up front has funnily enough where we have had barely any injuries at all. Where we've been short in my opinion is in defense. A couple of the 6 squad places could have gone to FB/CB/DM type cover players, maybe three or four with the other two spots bolstering up front. If the young guys aren't ready, why are we forcing them into the lineup anyway?

I dunno, I see it as a giant mess. But we can agree to disagree.