United Hour podcast - United edge past Wolves as Ronaldo looms

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nik (@Rood), Imran (@Annihilate Now!) and Ed (@That'sHernandez) discuss United's narrow victory over Wolves before rounding up United's transfer activity (featuring more Ronaldo talk) and finish off with a preview of our upcoming home game vs. Newcastle.

Listen to the episode on our new hosting site, Sport Social! - https://podcast.sport-social.co.uk/podcast/united-hour/

Also please share, tweet, follow and all that good stuff
Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/united-hour/id902792476
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manchesterunitedpodcast/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/unitedhour/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/United_Hour
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/UnitedHour

Let us know what you think of the pod troops - agree or disagree on the points made? Questions for next week?

Opinions on Ronaldo return?? Ecstatic? Apprehensive? Unhappy? Let us know!

Don't forget to visit https://uk.manscaped.com/?redirect=1 and get 20% off plus Free Shipping when you use the code UNITEDHOUR - Don't miss out!

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Kinda agree with Imran on the sales chat. We give players a lot of chances which is commendable, but in quite a few instances it is obvious they aren't up the required standard to cut it at United we should be ruthless and move them on. Axel is a great example, and so is Williams for me.

And an aneurysm over the passing is so accurate :lol:

Last edited:

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Kinda agree with Imran on the sales chat. We give players a lot of chances which is commendable, but in quite a few instances it is obvious they aren't up the required standard to cut it at United we should be ruthless and move them on. Axel is a great example, and so is Williams for me.
In previous seasons, I'd definitely agree that we weren't ruthless enough though I do wonder if now it's more about getting the right fee. The challenge for the club is that if they accept cut price, they create a precedent which might make it hard to get the proper value for players at a later date.

With covid, there were a lot of players stuck at clubs they didn't particularly want to be, but teams aren't willing to spend or commit, especially on players that haven't been getting regular first team football and are on higher wages than they'd like to offer.

Dan James could have easily stayed at the club and I wouldn't be surprised if Ole wanted him to, so that's a good sign we are moving in the right direction (even if it is just one example).

(i haven't listened yet so sorry if I'm repeating stuff already said)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

And an aneurysm over the passing is so accurate :lol:
Axel is a weird one as he had a good loan, came back and barely played so usually you expect a sale after that

I think Ole is going out of his way to keep as many Academy prospects around as possible which is no bad thing but is a waste if you just end up with loan after loan and then out of contract

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
The club’s tradition is to develop young talent with the aim of them making it into the first team. It’s what made the club famous to begin with, and why we sing about the Busby Babes still. I think if we started to sell players without giving them the opportunity to make it into the first team we will lose some of that identity.

Lyng

The club’s tradition is to develop young talent with the aim of them making it into the first team. It’s what made the club famous to begin with, and why we sing about the Busby Babes still. I think if we started to sell players without giving them the opportunity to make it into the first team we will lose some of that identity.
Absolutely, but I do think there is a happy middle ground to be found between that and what we are currently doing.

We still have players like Greenwood and Rashford that are our own developed talents.
But when we are as stacked as is currently the case, it's only fair to give youngsters who are far from the starting Lineup a chance elsewhere.

Selling them with a buyback clause, like Imran suggested, would a) generate funds b) let our youngsters get tested with regular playing time,while giving us a great possibility to see exactly how good they are c) not loose our best talents due to the buyback clause.

Obviously some players are clearly good enough for our team, but for the cases where there are doubts the abovementioned solution is a great option.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Absolutely, but I do think there is a happy middle ground to be found between that and what we are currently doing.

We still have players like Greenwood and Rashford that are our own developed talents.
But when we are as stacked as is currently the case, it's only fair to give youngsters who are far from the starting Lineup a chance elsewhere.

Selling them with a buyback clause, like Imran suggested, would a) generate funds b) let our youngsters get tested with regular playing time,while giving us a great possibility to see exactly how good they are c) not loose our best talents due to the buyback clause.

Obviously some players are clearly good enough for our team, but for the cases where there are doubts the abovementioned solution is a great option.
Buyback clauses do sound like a 'win win' in theory but in practice they rarely seem to work out

the player has to agree with it for start and if the club says they are happy to let them go then would they definitely want to go back?

The buying club also will not necessarily be happy with it as it means they spend time developing a player and then if they are a success they have to let them leave

Of course there are some examples where it has worked but it's rare

Sparky Rhiwabon

You should a drinking game pod sometime where every time the main host guy - @Alock1 is it (?) says “yeah” you have to drink :)

That'sHernandez

You should a drinking game pod sometime where every time the main host guy - @Alock1 is it (?) says “yeah” you have to drink :)
“Over there” and “over here” for another few swigs. :p

It’s actually really difficult and you don’t notice you have these sorts of mannerisms until you record and listen to yourself talk for an hour!

How does one get involved with these podcasts?
Engage with us in threads/on Twitter etc. for a bit first

That'sHernandez

Buyback clauses do sound like a 'win win' in theory but in practice they rarely seem to work out

the player has to agree with it for start and if the club says they are happy to let them go then would they definitely want to go back?

The buying club also will not necessarily be happy with it as it means they spend time developing a player and then if they are a success they have to let them leave

The buyback clause proponents would argue if the buyback is never enacted they were never good enough, which is probably a fair argument but I’m with you. These things rarely work out and they are a lot of hassle in negotiations; it’s part of why we reneged on the Reguilon deal

Lyng

Like I said these where to be used on edge cases where the club isn't sure about the player.
But yes it's not something that will always work or even be the right move.
However there are good examples of these, even in recent times: Casemiro for example.

At least it's an alternative worth exploring rather than having potential sales / future players rotting on the bench and never really going anywhere.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I'm not even on this podcast so how can you blame me :lol:

Surely it should be for whenever Nik @Rood says 'over here' or 'over there'

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Like I said these where to be used on edge cases where the club isn't sure about the player.
But yes it's not something that will always work or even be the right move.
However there are good examples of these, even in recent times: Casemiro for example.

At least it's an alternative worth exploring rather than having potential sales / future players rotting on the bench and never really going anywhere.
Yes true and Real have actually made buy backs work on a few occasions TBF