United Hour - Red Bull Gives You Wins

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Last night we had the depressing job of analysing the bizarre RB Leipzig game - just when you think it's all over, United give you a glimmer of hope before crushing your European dreams yet again!
I have the difficult task of trying to keep things positive while @Duafc goes in two footed on Aaron Wan-Bissaka and David De Gea with @Raees finally turning Ole Out

Also previewing a massive Manchester derby game as Ole tries to get one over on Pep again.

Listen on the Spotify player below or stream/download here: https://unitedhour.transistor.fm/episodes/red-bull-gives-you-wins

Reviews on Apple would be great and please share, tweet, follow and all that good stuff
iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/united-hour/id902792476
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manchesterunitedpodcast/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/United_Hour
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKK24eVljWHHOhl7KNb8_9A
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/UnitedHour

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Great pod guys...

- Agree with the comments on AWB, especially with how he gets caught under the ball way too often. Would also add that his general effort and application levels should be absolutely unacceptable this club. It's one thing to be shit, its another thing to be shit whilst half arsing it.

- Certainly time for Henderson to be put in now instead of DDG. I would say its not just DDG thats a terrible at communication, but it's our entire backline. I've long believed that AWB and Lindelof say nothing to each other for 90 minutes, and nothing about their game indicates otherwise.

- Wonder what formation we'll go with against City. The win early this year we had 5 at the back... but with how things went down yesterday, I can't see him sticking with that.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
@Annihilate Now! he was crap yesterday but generally AWB puts in a decent shift doesnt he?

5 at the back had often worked well for us, I remember many saying we should switch to it permanently - difficult to say if it is the system or players that failed yesterday, or maybe just credit to RB for some great play

Widow

Another wonderful listen lads. I have no idea what numbers you get in regards to listeners but more people should be aware of this. I now look forward to every one.

VanGaalyTime

Great pod boys. It's difficult to blame the players after we got the tactics so wrong yesterday. It reminded me so much of the Brighton away game in the first half. There was 40 yards of space in our right back position. Even Solly March should have had a hat trick against us. No surprise we lost then yesterday.

There are positives still. Foremost, we were a crossbar away from going through. And we do now have a squad to compete with the best. I don't think we're smart enough tactically but I do genuinely love watching us play these days. We're fast and aggressive in attack and we have so many quality young players. With Diallo arriving next month, another special player.

I think our form at Old Trafford will improve and we'll challenge for the title this season. We simply need to stop changing our tactics so often. Stick with the back four and ensure we don't play Matic against fast tricky midfielders. Fred and Bruno our world class players. Get Mason in the 9 position and give Diallo a few games on right wing. Then we'll see the true potential of this team.

Tony Clifton

Thanks for a good chat.

I've noted an erroneous minor detail in a few threads here. But when I also heard it again the latest pod episode—it had actually been mentioned in another episode too, but I let that one slide—I might as well comment on it this time. :)

We have actually played in the Champions League for two consecutive seasons since Fergie retired: 2017/2018 and 2018/2019, the Sevilla heritage exit and the Paris comeback.

But yeah, over a longer period our participation in the Champions League has been both limited and outright poor. A grand total of two knockout wins in the competition since the final in 2011: at home to Olympiacos in 2014 and the previously mentioned comeback in Paris.

Abysmal.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Excellent again boys. And I did say to @Raees beforehand I would give this game a miss, beforehand I tell you!

I have remained apathetic about this game, even this following day. Some thoughts:
- No issue with the shape before the game and I thought it made sense. Was a bit surprised to see Shaw straight back in but made sense with the formation we were going with. Although I did think McT and Matic may have been an issue against a very good Leipzig side.
- Sick to the absolute back teeth of our starts in games. Constantly chasing games is seriously frustrating and we have eventually been caught out.
- AWB, absolute disasterclass last night.
- 20 minutes at the start was absolutely shocking, shocking. From our players not having a clue what they were meant to be doing and also just starting really poorly, and then RB playing very well and exploiting us, it was dreadful. Forsberg misses a sitter too that really should have been 3-0 in 25 minutes.
- Yes we grew into the game and we had some chances but as @Rood said the Leipzig gameplan worked perfectly and they had the chance to sit off and pick us off if needed.
- The subs were mental. Telles off and leaving Shaw on, then taking him off a little bit later and ending up with Williams at left back. Crazy.
- We did have issues with Cavani & Martial injured and Fred suspended.
- Our form in Europe over the last 6/7 years has been absolutely fecking woeful. Makes me wonder how the other European giants view us these days.

I think at the end of the season we should be looking to replace Ole is my honest take. Let's be honest and frank, we aren't improving in terms if overall play and I'm getting fed up of how crap we are for large swathes of games before a sudden blitz or individual brilliance gets us out of a hole. I mean too many times the team looks like they can't even pass the ball 10 yards to one another when we are in possession in our own half or middle third and the defending as a team (either when trying to press from the front or trying to mark at set pieces and so on). He has got us in a good position but we need to be looking for the next manager who can really take us on to the next level.

Another wonderful listen lads. I have no idea what numbers you get in regards to listeners but more people should be aware of this. I now look forward to every one.
Thank you for saying so and glad you are enjoying the pods :)

Morpheus 7

Thanks again for taking time out lads again. Interesting analysis of the game. It was very levelled and measured pod by @Raees.

@Rood I was looking forward to hearing you on this pod. Jesus man your in real denial about Ole, really strange. I'll give you one thing, you've been unwaivering in his support. I always respect your opinion but the champions league campaign was a disaster. The performances, change in strategy, tactics and in game management have been awful and need to be questioned! Do you believe sticking with Ole until the Summer is going to progress us, long term? Think it's becoming unfair to suggest people are in or out after every result. We know there are issues above the manager, Ole has done some positive things and deserves credit. Getting rid of players like Sanchez, Lukaku, Fellaini ect. In the end, we are two years in and still don't have consistentcy in performances. Do you genuinely believe he's going to win a major trophy with us in the future?
If you don't know, why keep him.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Thanks for a good chat.

I've noted an erroneous minor detail in a few threads here. But when I also heard it again the latest pod episode—it had actually been mentioned in another episode too, but I let that one slide—I might as well comment on it this time. :)

We have actually played in the Champions League for two consecutive seasons since Fergie retired: 2017/2018 and 2018/2019, the Sevilla heritage exit and the Paris comeback.

But yeah, over a longer period our participation in the Champions League has been both limited and outright poor. A grand total of two knockout wins in the competition since the final in 2011: at home to Olympiacos in 2014 and the previously mentioned comeback in Paris.

Abysmal.
good spot ! the stat should be that we havent finished top4 two seasons in a row (because Jose won the Europa)

cheers mate - feel free to spread the word to your United mates

We are making a big effort on increased content this season so all Shares/Follows/Likes/Reviews help us keep it going - Ive put the relevant links in the OP

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Thanks again for taking time out lads again. Interesting analysis of the game. It was very levelled and measured pod by @Raees.

@Rood I was looking forward to hearing you on this pod. Jesus man your in real denial about Ole, really strange. I'll give you one thing, you've been unwaivering in his support. I always respect your opinion but the champions league campaign was a disaster. The performances, change in strategy, tactics and in game management have been awful and need to be questioned! Do you believe sticking with Ole until the Summer is going to progress us, long term? Think it's becoming unfair to suggest people are in or out after every result. We know there are issues above the manager, Ole has done some positive things and deserves credit. Getting rid of players like Sanchez, Lukaku, Fellaini ect. In the end, we are two years in and still don't have consistentcy in performances. Do you genuinely believe he's going to win a major trophy with us in the future?
If you don't know, why keep him.
Obviously its gutting to go out but disaster is OTT, we were in the Group Of Death after all and beat last seasons finalists and semifinalists so shows we have what it takes but just need the consistency.

Ole has made mistakes and deserves criticism for that (in game management in particular) But I think it would be crazy to sack Ole now, the team has generally got good results this year and we are potentially 2 points off top spot in the league - I still think we are going in the right direction and Im generally happy with the style and type of players that are coming in

Will Ole win a major trophy? No idea but to be honest even finishing top 4 this season would be progress

croadyman

Obviously its gutting to go out but disaster is OTT, we were in the Group Of Death after all and beat last seasons finalists and semifinalists so shows we have what it takes but just need the consistency.

Ole has made mistakes and deserves criticism for that (in game management in particular) But I think it would be crazy to sack Ole now, the team has generally got good results this year and we are potentially 2 points off top spot in the league - I still think we are going in the right direction and Im generally happy with the style and type of players that are coming in

Will Ole win a major trophy? No idea but to be honest even finishing top 4 this season would be progress
That isn't progress because he came third last season and surely you can accept that we aren't starting games well enough which has to be down to his lack of motivation.

He might win a league cup or FA cup but then LVG & Jose won one of those and still ended up getting the sack,mind you that won't apply to Ole as Woody won't get rid of an ex player and therefore gets special dispensation.

Last edited:

Morpheus 7

Thanks for the reply Nik, I do appreciate the time you boys put in to the pod. We'll agree to disagree, be interesting to see if your opinion changes in future pods. Keep up the good work!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Great pod, made for a cathartic commute this morning after the shitshow we saw last night.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
That isn't progress because he came third last season and surely you can accept that we aren't starting games well enough which has to be down to his lack of motivation.

He might win a league cup or FA cup but then LVG & Jose won one of those and still ended up getting the sack,mind you that won't apply to Ole as Woody won't get rid of an ex player and therefore gets special dispensation.
Ah but it is actually progress because, as noted upthread, we haven't finished Top4 twice in a row since Fergie left - of course it isn't the ultimate aim but some kind of stability of being a regular CL club again is the first step

I think Ole would get sacked if he didn't get Top4 this season, doubt a domestic cup would save him

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Thanks for the reply Nik, I do appreciate the time you boys put in to the pod. We'll agree to disagree, be interesting to see if your opinion changes in future pods. Keep up the good work!
No worries - I like to hear all feedback and comments on the show even when it's disagreeing !

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Can we crowdfund a better mic for Nik? Those harsh 11k frequencies god damn my cheap bluetooth sports headphones.

This defence are all overpaid responsibility shirkers. Hard to judge Ole on what is happening without just getting emotionally abusive about his tenure, because the players are massive bottlers but he is ultimately responsible and has his job on the line so I completely understand all sides of this. I'm Ole whatever (as in whoever we bring in will just have the same problem of a squad that can opt out of a game whenever they feel like with no consequences, won't be upset if he stays won't be upset if we sack him) and I'm in the unique position of just not wanting to watch these players anymore. There is two or three players who I appreciate but the rest I just don't want to watch them because I know what is going to happen. They'll feck up, look around at everyone with an "aw feck sorry boys" look on their face, nobody will say anything and we'll just play on the same way we have been over the last 6 years.

All this armchair management is so moot to me now, I love listening to it and hearing what people think but I find myself in a cynical state just referring back to "If Ed and the upper team don't change the football side of it and put in a proper footballing framework, none of this is going to change. Overpaid players will continue to come in and take no responsibility, we'll continue to be a 90 minute advertising hoarding masquerading as a legitimate football team." The manager will get sacked and the next manager the come in and the same thing will happen.

Fridge chutney

Good podcast guys.

Three notes:

1) I don't think AWB is as bad as you make out. I think he's our first decent RB in years, despite a poor game. That said, we need tactical cover for him though.

2) for the third goal, I think it takes a slight unlicky deflection which fools Maguire and DDG. Could have done better but I put that down to poor luck. That said, the first two goals were inexcusable.

3) I saw Shaw as a defensive liability at CB, coming in cold after a month off. He was positionally poor, slow, and generated confusion in our box. I thought it was silly for Ole to start him instead of Tuanzebe in that position.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Can we crowdfund a better mic for Nik? Those harsh 11k frequencies god damn my cheap bluetooth sports headphones.

This defence are all overpaid responsibility shirkers. Hard to judge Ole on what is happening without just getting emotionally abusive about his tenure, because the players are massive bottlers but he is ultimately responsible and has his job on the line so I completely understand all sides of this. I'm Ole whatever (as in whoever we bring in will just have the same problem of a squad that can opt out of a game whenever they feel like with no consequences, won't be upset if he stays won't be upset if we sack him) and I'm in the unique position of just not wanting to watch these players anymore. There is two or three players who I appreciate but the rest I just don't want to watch them because I know what is going to happen. They'll feck up, look around at everyone with an "aw feck sorry boys" look on their face, nobody will say anything and we'll just play on the same way we have been over the last 6 years.

All this armchair management is so moot to me now, I love listening to it and hearing what people think but I find myself in a cynical state just referring back to "If Ed and the upper team don't change the football side of it and put in a proper footballing framework, none of this is going to change. Overpaid players will continue to come in and take no responsibility, we'll continue to be a 90 minute advertising hoarding masquerading as a legitimate football team." The manager will get sacked and the next manager the come in and the same thing will happen.
All crowdfunding welcome! shameless plug here for our new Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/UnitedHour
But was there a big issue with my sound on this one? Didnt notice anything myself but can be a big difference on headphones vs speakers - plus we have been trying to get these episodes out as fast as possible so there has been some trade off in sound quality but yes we would like to buy better equipment at some point

I do understand some of your apathy and the issues in the boardroom cant be forgotten, but I actually like this team more than any postFergie and think there has been clear signs of progression over time which is why I want to give Ole the chance to continue the squad development.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Good podcast guys.

Three notes:

1) I don't think AWB is as bad as you make out. I think he's our first decent RB in years, despite a poor game. That said, we need tactical cover for him though.

2) for the third goal, I think it takes a slight unlicky deflection which fools Maguire and DDG. Could have done better but I put that down to poor luck. That said, the first two goals were inexcusable.

3) I saw Shaw as a defensive liability at CB, coming in cold after a month off. He was positionally poor, slow, and generated confusion in our box. I thought it was silly for Ole to start him instead of Tuanzebe in that position.
I agree with all that and think I said most of it on the show - I do also think the first goal was a great move and finish but the second goal was easily avoidable

Beans

Supports
Neutral
When we play poorly is dire to watch. We're a poor passing team, we can't hold the ball against any team that presses. There's more to football than holding the ball, but the inability to make simple passes and cleanly control the ball is concerning for one of the most expensive squads assembled in history.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Sound quality is such a lame gripe, it won't make me stop listening so all good.

, but I actually like this team more than any postFergie
I can't stand this team, it is riddled with losers. I like a few players and that is it. Expecting this team to ever click and find a gel-point to go on and win anything under any manager is total lunacy.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Sorry was unprofessional of me haha!
Nah, it would be unprofessional to miss out on an opportunity to call him a fat bastard :D. Found myself agreeing with pretty much everything you said here - I've been clinging to my 'Ole in' stance with more hope than conviction for a long time now but it's faltering badly. His tenure has been the most enjoyable post-Fergie period for me by some distance, we're in a better place now than we were when he was appointed, and I personally think that I'll always be an Ole fan, but our bottom level and general ability to control matches are just so incredibly poor. There's nothing more exciting in football to me than a great comeback, and it speaks well to both our individual quality and team spirit that we can conjure them up so often, but a team with real aspirations to win top trophies has to control and win more of their matches in a routine fashion.

First time listening to the podcast by the way and very mch enjoyed it. Good work all!

buckooo1978

nice listen lads.... cathartic after the frustrations of the other night

Good analysis of what went wrong. AWB's positioning awful, Shaw not much better for the second forcing Telles to come narrow and Maguire was awful for the third I felt. At the same time even if De Gea was taken by surprise by Maguire leaving it he needs to do better there.

The continued issues point to a lack of coaching. What are they doing during the week at Carrington. I'm baffled at how a relatively tall team are so ineffective on set pieces and corners. Are they working on it properly.

Ole changes formation like he changes his underwear. Wan Bissaka making split second decisions on his movement and coming narrow in a back 5. What coaching went on beforehand on positioning? Angelino is their top scorer so why wasn't AWB tasked with staying wide? I read the other day it was echoes of Solly March and we didn't learn from our mistakes. Is there a problem when you are changing formation so frequently that instinctively AWB will tuck in?

either way we arent preparing for matches properly.

How negative was that lineup?! Leipzig are an interesting side and are well coached. What you would say is they are vulnerable as we saw at Old Trafford and were without their star defender due to suspension. They conceded 3 against Istanbul, 3 again against Bayern and we really should have picked a team with more creativity and balance. 5 at the back with McTominay and Matic?! Absolutely far too negative and inviting a high pressing team onto us like that was stupid from Ole.

On Pogba - is he in or out? I was as angry as many about the timing of those comments. Was Pogba dropped because of this? He had a great second half at the weekend.... if we are going down the Pogba is part of the squad route he needed to start that game. Otherwise why wait until deep in thr second half to bring him into a game we were losing 2 nil and needed a draw in.

Ole's in game management- why wait until half time to change things. We are over run, all over the place and he started the game with 7 defensive players?!? 20 mins in you take off Shaw or Telles and put on Donny or Pogba. Change the pattern of the game.

We had a shite start to last season and we had to push so hard to qualify for the CL which makes it all the more frustrating. Given the consistent inconsistency and the continued problems with conceding soft goals we will always been taking 2 steps forward, 1 step back under Ole and defenders of him really have to pick at stats to highlight the good things.

We are only x points of top/4th has been the mantra under Ole and we are a Bruno injury away from not competing for the CL.

All very depressing and not looking forward to City.

Last edited:

Bigbusdutz

I think people are also overlooking Red Bulls home form. They have won every game at home this season so was always going to be a struggle

Reactions: Rood

Fridge chutney

I do understand some of your apathy and the issues in the boardroom cant be forgotten, but I actually like this team more than any postFergie and think there has been clear signs of progression over time which is why I want to give Ole the chance to continue the squad development.
This perfectly summarizes where I'm at with Ole. I don't think he's as bad as many in the Manchester United forum would make out and I've seen some clear progress in important areas. But most importantly, I like the team staff and individuals again and I am (very cautiously) optimistic for the future.

And I realize that this post is potentially dreadful timing as we face City tomorrow.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Sound quality is such a lame gripe, it won't make me stop listening so all good.

I can't stand this team, it is riddled with losers. I like a few players and that is it. Expecting this team to ever click and find a gel-point to go on and win anything under any manager is total lunacy.
Cant agree with that at all - even if there are legit complaints about Ole's tactics or in game management, I think the transfer business is good and even if Ole ultimately is not the one then the next guy will be getting a good squad to work with. Which players do you like out of interest?

Nah, it would be unprofessional to miss out on an opportunity to call him a fat bastard :D. Found myself agreeing with pretty much everything you said here - I've been clinging to my 'Ole in' stance with more hope than conviction for a long time now but it's faltering badly. His tenure has been the most enjoyable post-Fergie period for me by some distance, we're in a better place now than we were when he was appointed, and I personally think that I'll always be an Ole fan, but our bottom level and general ability to control matches are just so incredibly poor. There's nothing more exciting in football to me than a great comeback, and it speaks well to both our individual quality and team spirit that we can conjure them up so often, but a team with real aspirations to win top trophies has to control and win more of their matches in a routine fashion.

First time listening to the podcast by the way and very mch enjoyed it. Good work all!
I think that is all fair comments and a good summary of the good and the bad of the current team

glad to have you onboard!

Amir

I felt mentioning the impact that the absence of Fred, Cavani and Martial had over us was a really bad excuse. A midfielder who is good, but clearly not world class. A striker in poor form and another who recently joined as backup and has so far made a real impact in one match. There are a couple of players whose absence I would consider huge, but not those lads.

If that affected our planning for the match so much, it just highlights part of the issue. We don't have a clear football identity, and regularly adjust what we do. It creates a lack of 'team habits' which means we have to fall back on individuals. When you keep changing the way you play, rather than being really good and dominant in your own system and style, sometimes you'll get it wrong.

Like it was said in the podcast, Leipzig don't have top class players - or at least not as much as us. While we were without two strikers, they were missing their top CB. So they handled it, because above all they are a well drilled team.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Which players do you like out of interest?
Bruno, Rashford........... That is all. The whole squad is basically filler guys. Guys that could be a solid squad options and not much more. Loads of them are on eyewatering ballond'or candidate salaries as well and in leadership roles and have shown absolute zero as leaders.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I felt mentioning the impact that the absence of Fred, Cavani and Martial had over us was a really bad excuse. A midfielder who is good, but clearly not world class. A striker in poor form and another who recently joined as backup and has so far made a real impact in one match. There are a couple of players whose absence I would consider huge, but not those lads.

If that affected our planning for the match so much, it just highlights part of the issue. We don't have a clear football identity, and regularly adjust what we do. It creates a lack of 'team habits' which means we have to fall back on individuals. When you keep changing the way you play, rather than being really good and dominant in your own system and style, sometimes you'll get it wrong.

Like it was said in the podcast, Leipzig don't have top class players - or at least not as much as us. While we were without two strikers, they were missing their top CB. So they handled it, because above all they are a well drilled team.
I think Fred was the biggest miss, he's become integral to what Ole wants to do - we could handle being without Cavani or Martial but both out means you start Ighalo or James if you want to go like for like so for me changing formation made sense.

But I do agree with a general point that we have shifted around a bit too much recently

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Bruno, Rashford........... That is all. The whole squad is basically filler guys. Guys that could be a solid squad options and not much more. Loads of them are on eyewatering ballond'or candidate salaries as well and in leadership roles and have shown absolute zero as leaders.
Only two?! Pretty harsh assessment!
I actually like nearly all the players that have come in under Ole, true some are just squad quality but they are the right characters and you don't need every player to be a world beater - just a shame that Woodward didn't sort out the couple of glaring holes in the squad

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Only two?! Pretty harsh assessment!
I actually like nearly all the players that have come in under Ole, true some are just squad quality but they are the right characters and you don't need every player to be a world beater - just a shame that Woodward didn't sort out the couple of glaring holes in the squad
Yeah its probably harsh and I'm in probably a unique position of support that is deep in a cynical hole. Woodward is the main problem though, the whole "yep 3 years ago we said we're getting a director of football" and the fare that erupted with the academy announcement and lack of anything that has happened nuts and bolts wise is the perfect encapsulation of how fake this club is now. It is just an advertising and brand marketing mega-corporation that plays football sometimes.

Amir

I think Fred was the biggest miss, he's become integral to what Ole wants to do - we could handle being without Cavani or Martial but both out means you start Ighalo or James if you want to go like for like so for me changing formation made sense.

But I do agree with a general point that we have shifted around a bit too much recently
I'm sure Fred was a miss, and that's the problem. He's not Roy Keane, he's Fred - good, but hardly exceptional player. We shouldn't be missing him that much. We do because while other teams are more systematic and can handle the loss of certain players and their qualities, we depend so much on the individuals.