United Nostalgia

TheReligion

Abusive
Ice cold Keano v Inter (image the uproar if this happened today)

Vinnie Jones giving it the big one. The way Cantona just gets up and strolls over following the leg breaker cracks me up.

Stam strangling Viera at Highbury

Rooney arguing with the ref, scoring a belter then still fuming

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How Elleray, who was the king of the fussy, harsh carding, allowed Vinnie Jones to get away without a red that day is an absolute scandal.
He's yards away from him doing that leaping headbutt.

TheReligion

Abusive
How Elleray, who was the king of the fussy, harsh carding, allowed Vinnie Jones to get away without a red that day is an absolute scandal.
Its actually amusing as one of the commentators says something like ‘Jones should get a booking for that’ following the two footer on Cantona :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Its actually amusing as one of the commentators says something like ‘Jones should get a booking for that’ following the two footer on Cantona :lol:
I suppose it was a different climate back then.

One of my first in the flesh games was early 90s watching Wycombe.
One of our players made a contender for worst challenge in the history of football, with an actual sprinting leaping 2 footer.

Luckily he only hit the Doncaster player side on and ridiculously (looking at the diving you get these days), he got up instantly.

Ref gave a 2nd yellow rather than the straightest most obvious red ever.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Who’d have thought at the time we’d be here 30 years later and he’s got a documentary coming out wandering around fields talking to the wildlife

CallyRed

How Vinnie Jones was a top division footballer still amazes me.

Red Star One

I love to come back to these highlights, 7-1 win & the technical levels shown by Beckham, Scholes and Yorke are unreal. I feel like it sometimes gets forgotten how beautiful our game was in the peak SAF, the link up between the players and some of those touches are just filthy

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How Vinnie Jones was a top division footballer still amazes me.
I think he had more ability than people gave him credit for.
But being the biggest goon in such a horrible outfit and having many controversies is obviously most of what he's remembered for.

Red Star One

Also this one: 01/02 away comeback against Spurs, 3-0 HT, 3-5 FT. Imagine the hairdryer. How can anyone even think Beckham was overrated.

Last edited:

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting

I love to come back to these highlights, 7-1 win & the technical levels shown by Beckham, Scholes and Yorke are unreal. I feel like it sometimes gets forgotten how beautiful our game was in the peak SAF, the link up between the players and some of those touches are just filthy
It's heartbreaking to think that we'll most likely never see us be that dominant again over the course of a season

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Also this one: 01/02 away comeback against Spurs, 3-0 HT, 3-5 FT. Imagine the hairdresser. How can anyone even think Beckham was overrated.

I know someone who genuinely believes Anderton was better than Beckham.

FujiVice

Steve Bruce was always the first one into someone after a bad tackle. Proper captain. Straight into Jones face.

CallyRed

His goal from the same season in a 5-3 win against West Ham. You literally don't see those in the Premier League these days.
This was my first ever United game I went to, I was in the away end. met Sir Alex afterwards too, was a great day.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
To whom? Current Liverpool who are at the top of the league? I assume you are being funny. I have no doubt United '99 would eat those Scouser clowns for lunch

noodlehair

"It's like..."

His goal from the same season in a 5-3 win against West Ham. You literally don't see those in the Premier League these days.
To be fair Beckham probably scored more GOTM contenders for us than any other player I can remember, aside from maybe Rooney.

The individuality that creates these types of moments has disappeared a lot from the game.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Ice cold Keano v Inter (image the uproar if this happened today)

Vinnie Jones giving it the big one. The way Cantona just gets up and strolls over following the leg breaker cracks me up.

Stam strangling Viera at Highbury

Rooney arguing with the ref, scoring a belter then still fuming

Roy Keane is one of my favourite all time United players.
And it saddens me to think that we will never have a player like him again; certainly not in my lifetime.

He more than anyone brought the Sir Alex Ferguson attitude onto the pitch.
Fantastic engine.
Very skillful.
Great leader.
Win at all costs.
Just brilliant.

Edit. Something none of the current squad are even remotely capable of.

TheReligion

Abusive
Roy Keane is one of my favourite all time United players.
And it saddens me to think that we will never have a player like him again; certainly not in my lifetime.

He more than anyone brought the Sir Alex Ferguson attitude onto the pitch.
Fantastic engine.
Very skillful.
Great leader.
Win at all costs.
Just brilliant.

Edit. Something none of the current squad are even remotely capable of.
I think Martinez has a big chunk of this in him to be honest. You could argue Casemiro too.

I was asking myself the same question though as it is an element we have missed since Rooney (the next similar following Keane in my opinion).

It’s undoubtedly linked to our struggles in recent times though but is an area I believe Ten Hag has sought to improve (mentality, aggression)

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think Martinez has a big chunk of this in him to be honest. You could argue Casemiro too.

I was asking myself the same question though as it is an element we have missed since Rooney (the next similar following Keane in my opinion).

It’s undoubtedly linked to our struggles in recent times though but is an area I believe Ten Hag has sought to improve (mentality, aggression)
Those 2 are definitely the best of a very average bunch.
My main reservation though is whether either actually get what it means to play for Manchester United to the same extent as Keane did and still does.
And whether in say 20+ years time, people then would look back at Martinez and Casemiro with the same nostalgia as with Roy Keane.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

I love it when this clip pops up on Twitter and the type you expect always are chiming in with "look at Cantona and Keane bricking it..." Like they aren't just walking away from an idiot determined to get himself sent off.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Crazy thing is Defoe and Kanouté would walk into almost any Premier League team now, never mind Ruud (that touch :drool: ) and Solskjaer.

442 made for much better football that that of the current era. Everyone is a fecking midfielder in the post tiki taka game, dull.

red.knight

I am left with my memories of Fergie’s glory days gone. One of the last of its kind - a memorial for the old football. I had to come back to watch highlights of our 8-2 win against Arsenal to raise my spirits after every United defeat. A historic and beautiful memory of Fergie’s Man United. I hope the INEOS minority stake prove to be the herald of a new age for Manchester United.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Crazy thing is Defoe and Kanouté would walk into almost any Premier League team now, never mind Ruud (that touch :drool: ) and Solskjaer.

442 made for much better football that that of the current era. Everyone is a fecking midfielder in the post tiki taka game, dull.
I’d argue all day for a return to 442, but the majority of our fans think that ‘modern’ football is the way forward. I don’t, not for the PL.

Moriarty

I’d argue all day for a return to 442, but the majority of our fans think that ‘modern’ football is the way forward. I don’t, not for the PL.
You think the current lot could play 442 effectively? I wonder. You'd need two wide men to both provide and score goals, a leader of the line and someone playing off him. I think Maguire would do all right in that system along with Varane but the midfield needs some serious re-jigging.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You think the current lot could play 442 effectively? I wonder. You'd need two wide men to both provide and score goals, a leader of the line and someone playing off him. I think Maguire would do all right in that system along with Varane but the midfield needs some serious re-jigging.
Oh no I think the squad would need reworked but I’d love that more than anything

.Phil1968

Also this one: 01/02 away comeback against Spurs, 3-0 HT, 3-5 FT. Imagine the hairdryer. How can anyone even think Beckham was overrated.

I used to work with a lad who was a good mate of Simon Davies, an unused sub for spurs that day and a massive United fan. He said that Hoddle was near enough doing cartwheels at half time but went absolutely ballistic at full time as you'd expect. Davies also said that when United got the fifth he felt like jumping up and punching the air himself

black country red

United where on big match revisited yesterday against palace 26/11/80 lost 1 0 best adidas kit ever always liked Garry birtles but bloody hell he was shite for us

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United

Amazing second half performance.

That whole season was bonkers.

If Fergie had signed Rio a year earlier (or not sold Stam) we'd have won the league and European Cup that season.

Red_Aaron

I used to work with a lad who was a good mate of Simon Davies, an unused sub for spurs that day and a massive United fan. He said that Hoddle was near enough doing cartwheels at half time but went absolutely ballistic at full time as you'd expect. Davies also said that when United got the fifth he felt like jumping up and punching the air himself
There's a story around that half time - think saf told it but might have been a player

Anyways apparently at half time fergie heard someone in the spurs dressing room say something along the lines of 'just don't let them score early in the second half and we'll definitely win this' fergie took that into our dressing room and said something along the lines 'they're bricking it in there, if we score the next goal they'll collapse'

You can see the confidence of both sides do a compete 180 the moment that first goal goes in. Mind games from the master

Also, look at the speed of the 1-2 touch passing from us second half. People talk about how much better the game is nowadays technically and athletically, our current side could only dream of putting passes together like that almost 20 years later

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United

Remember going mental for this one
Absolute scenes
Look at the state of that away end. Has to be the best domestic away trip under Fergie?

Three in a row Champions, Treble winners two years earlier. Celebrating an FA Cup third round win like it was bigger than all that.

didz

I'm convinced 442 is making a big comeback within the decade. It's already basically how a lot of top teams press, and two banks of 4 defending never really went out of style anyway. We're now just waiting for more proper centre forwards to come through.

Then we'll probably spend a few years arguing about whether it's actually a 4222, or a 424, or an oblique 3-1-cntrl+alt3-1-2.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United

This video makes me sad that we didn't see more of Cole and Ruud together. That could have been a sensational partnership.

black country red