United on film and tv

MileStolar

I remember watching "The day after tomorrow" back as a kid, there was this scene which still puts a smile on my face to this day.

World as we know it is ending, ice age is coming and it's coming fast, three guys stranded on a remote island, knowing the end is near, open up a 12 y/o scotch and raise the glass for England, mankind and Manchester united respectively.

I love the scene even though the movie was a bit weak, especially from now adult pov.

Do you guys know some movies and tv shows where we're mentioned? Dibs on "51. State" and "Euro trip".

Also mods apologies if thread isn't in correct section.

Locke Leiemand

There's a reference to United and a couple of shots from Old Trafford in one of the songs (It's Nice to be Out in the Morning) from the 1968 movie Mrs. Brown You've got a Lovely Daughter with Peter Noone.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
There are a lot of references in Morrissey and smiths songs to united and football in general but that's music do does it count?

big_black_dog

EuroTrip

They ended up in Man Utd Supporters Pub and forced to sing Man uTd song, got drunk and taken to watch united match..lol.. Vinnie Jones in it..

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Looking for Eric is perhaps a bit obvious?

MileStolar

Oh I forgot the GSE fighting MUFC firm in Green Street Hooligans.

Apparently playing United away is the most feared game for the hooligans.

Mickson

In a Swedish film called 'Offside', one of the main characters has a dog called Cantona and he has a United shirt as well. They talk about United in a few scenes as well.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
‘Cup Fever’ from 1965 is a film about a small Manchester boys team who meet Matt Busby and train at Old Trafford with all the players. It’s ridiculously good.

‘Percy’ from 1972 ish stars George Best

There’s also a film with Richard Beckinsdale which talks about going to Old Trafford

MileStolar

‘Cup Fever’ from 1965 is a film about a small Manchester boys team who meet Matt Busby and train at Old Trafford with all the players. It’s ridiculously good.
Thanks for this flick, watched it whole on YouTube. Kids played quite well especially the girls. It's very cool getting to see what Manchester looked like 60 years ago. Also there's a scene where sir Bobby does a body feint and looks extremely sgile and quick.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Spike lists Manchester United as one of his reasons for stopping Angelus from destroying the world in season two of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Spike on Buffy:
We like to talk big. Vampires do. "I'm going to destroy the world." That's just tough guy talk. Strutting around with your friends over a pint of blood. The truth is, I like this world. You've got... dog racing, Manchester United. And you've got people, billions of people walking around like Happy Meals with legs. It's all right here.

Minkaro

WWE wrestler MVP once came out to the ring in a United shirt.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I saw this the other day on the Talking Pictures channel. I was fascinated, loads of street scenes reminding me of my Manchester childhood. Gloriously hilarious, by modern standards, portrayal of the girls in the football gang (laundry and kit repair duty!) but who were nevertheless just as serious as the lads when it came to winning against the odds, even if it required a bit of misbehaviour and rule breaking to do it.

Lovely seeing the players as well, though most of them were too young in the movie for me to recognise them straight off :lol: - they were several years older by the time I started watching them. Seeing Old Trafford with the half built cantilever stand (the predecessor of the SAF stand) was great as well - a dash of history.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I am often surprise by the fact that nobody has attempted to make a film about Busby? What a story . I know there have been documentaries and there was a dramatization about Munich but Nothing about the Great Man on the silver screen.
It would be hard to find an actor to do him Justice though.

The No.10!

Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal is a 2007 Bollywood film. Did average at the box office, but is fondly remembered amongst Indian United fans as the manager, played by the oh-so-versatile Boman Irani, takes the failing team with fragile egos to Old Trafford, makes them stand in front on the mirror in the dressing room and asks then if they see a champion in the mirror? He also tells them about the Munich Disaster.

It's worth a watch. Couldn't find a link with subtitles, sadly.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I am often surprise by the fact that nobody has attempted to make a film about Busby? What a story . I know there have been documentaries and there was a dramatization about Munich but Nothing about the Great Man on the silver screen.

ForeverRed1

A film called UNITED is on Amazon prime, it’s from the BBC and it features David tennant. It’s great and well worth a watch.

It’s about the munich air disaster, pretty emotional stuff.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Cold feet and an old comedy The Lovers with Richard Beckinsale, he supported United in it. It was written by Jack Rosenthal a United fan and his co-star Paula Wilcox is a United fan.

decorativeed

Well there was this fictitious and largely forgotten curiosity 10 years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Believe_(2013_film)