United Players - England Youth Squads

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Where are they all? :lol:
After reading about the u19 winning the European Championship I thought I’d had a quick gander through the most recent u19 squad as well as u17, u18, u19 and u21.

These squads are filled with City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs players etc.. United players can’t be seen anywhere.

A few make up the “recent call ups” but not actually in the most recent squads. Think I seen a Harrison Parker in the u16 current squad and that’s about it.

For a team that prides itself on its academy and has a rich history of players representing the national team.

How are we so under represented now? Is the United academy really that bad these days?

Flexdegea

After reading about the u19 winning the European Championship I thought I’d had a quick gander through the most recent u19 squad as well as u17, u18, u19 and u21.

These squads are filled with City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs players etc.. United players can’t be seen anywhere.

A few make up the “recent call ups” but not actually in the most recent squads. Think I seen a Harrison Parker in the u16 current squad and that’s about it.

For a team that prides itself on its academy and has a rich history of players representing the national team.

How are we so under represented now? Is the United academy really that bad these days?

Near sure we just won the FA youth Cup just last month :lol:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Vitek plays for Croatia u19
Fernandez plays for Spain u19
Savage plays for Wales u19
Galbraith is a full international for Northern Ireland
Levitt is a full international for Wales
Iqbal is a full international for Iraq
Hansen is Norway u19
Mejbri is a full tunisia international
Elanga a full Sweden international
Garnacho is Argentina u20 and now in full Argentina squad as well

So that may go someway to explaining why some of our young players are not in the England age groups

Mr. P.

There’s plenty playing for England youth Mainoo .Gore Oggenuye Shoretire Mcallister

Flexdegea

Absolutely unreal thread in the circumstances, what an absolute car crash of a post.

It's like they came in to troll, or moan about the club apparent shit youth system, without actually thinking it over first.

He's assumed the whole set up as well is just English players as well

tomaldinho1

I imagine you shouted ‘leave means leave!’ when you pressed post for this.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Hansen is Norway u19

So that may go someway to explaining why some of our young players are not in the England age groups
Nice.

fps

Hansen is Norway u19

The other academies may be playing it smarter if Brexit goes full Brexit on the PL.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
Near sure we just won the FA youth Cup just last month :lol:
What’s that got to do with youth players representing the national squad?

Hansen is Norway u19

I understand that and there are a few homegrown British players in there too who likely joined the academy from a young age. But big difference in quality too between NI and England for example.

Pretty sure brexit rules make it a lot more difficult to sign young foreign players too now. So there will be greater dependency on home grown youth players moving forwars

I imagine you shouted ‘leave means leave!’ when you pressed post for this.
Why’s that? Because I made a thread highlighting the under representation of Man Utd players in Englands youth system?

Should I have been asking why Man Utd are under represented in Finlands youth teams instead?

At the end of the day the pinnacle of Man Utd’s English academy prospects over the last decade are Jesse Lingard and Marcus Rashford. So make of that what you will.

Flexdegea

What’s that got to do with youth players representing the national squad?

I understand that and there are a few homegrown British players in there too who likely joined the academy from a young age. But big difference in quality too between NI and England for example.

Pretty sure brexit rules make it a lot more difficult to sign young foreign players too now. So there will be greater dependency on home grown youth players moving forwars

Why’s that? Because I made a thread highlighting the under representation of Man Utd players in Englands youth system?

Should I have been asking why Man Utd are under represented in Finlands youth teams instead?

At the end of the day the pinnacle of Man Utd’s English academy prospects over the last decade are Jesse Lingard and Marcus Rashford. So make of that what you will.

If that is The pinnacle, is actually good compared to other clubs too.

You saying that like other clubs are firing out 5 players each in that time ready for the England team. Lingard was big player for England in their last world cup, rashford was a focal point too up to this last season. Greenwood got a cap too, and got punished for a incident and wasn't back in the sqaud. Was easily England most promising forward/striker before his arrest.

Only club who seemed to have knocked out more players in that time are chelsea, off top of my head are Gallagher, mount, Tammy, James. Liverpool only had Arnold and Gomez from academy. City just Foden of the top of my head. Arsenal had Saka and Smith rose.

I'm not sure what point you are making to be honest.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC

You saying that like other clubs are firing out 5 players each in that time ready for the England team. Lingard was big player for England in their last world cup, rashford was a focal point too up to this last season. Greenwood got a cap too, and got punished for a incident and wasn't back in the sqaud. Was easily England most promising forward/striker before his arrest.

Only club who seemed to have knocked out more players in that time are chelsea, off top of my head are Gallagher, mount, Tammy, James. Liverpool only had Arnold and Gomez from academy. City just Foden of the top of my head. Arsenal had Saka and Smith rose.

Not sure what point I’m making either mate haha. I just would have expected a bit more representation for United at England youth level.

You are right that compared to most clubs that Chelsea is probably producing the most talent consistently, especially from an English pov. In terms of players to recently represent England other clubs (aside from what you’ve already mentioned) would have:

City - Trippier, Sancho,
Liverpool - Coady, Sterling,
Spurs - Kane, Walker-peters, Winks
Chelsea - Probably another 5+ players

I suppose United do also have Henderson and Garner who could push on to become England internationals. Along with a few others coming through.

Greenwood as well like you mentioned is an extraordinary talent and it’s a shame what’s happened in his personal life as he’s probably the most talented English player we’ve produced in years.

I just feel that looking at the English players to come through the academy in the last 15 years or so, that were not producing the same amount of quality players as some of our rivals. And as a club more reknowned than others for our academy, I feel other clubs look like they may surpass us when it comes to homegrown talent.

Not sure what point I’m trying to mate here though :lol:

Just allow the thread to die and leave me with the shame please.

Baneofthegame

Not sure what point I’m making either mate haha. I just would have expected a bit more representation for United at England youth level.

You are right that compared to most clubs that Chelsea is probably producing the most talent consistently, especially from an English pov. In terms of players to recently represent England other clubs (aside from what you’ve already mentioned) would have:

City - Trippier, Sancho,

I suppose United do also have Henderson and Garner who could push on to become England internationals. Along with a few others coming through.

Greenwood as well like you mentioned is an extraordinary talent and it’s a shame what’s happened in his personal life as he’s probably the most talented English player we’ve produced in years.

I just feel that looking at the English players to come through the academy in the last 15 years or so, that were not producing the same amount of quality players as some of our rivals. And as a club more reknowned than others for our academy, I feel other clubs look like they may surpass us when it comes to homegrown talent.

Feel like Sterling started at QPR and Sancho at Watford.

Flexdegea

City - Trippier, Sancho,

:lol:

We've had players from youth system make England squad too who where at other clubs. Top of head Michael Keane from Everton, think Henderson got capped too at Sheffield United, prob others can't even remember. Remember Welbeck was a mainstay for a while for England scored plenty of goals. We've prob matched other clubs, just no real big big hitter players like a Kane from spurs etc.

No we should keep it going mate :lol:

Mickson

We have very few English players born in 03 (the U19 England squad). McNeill, Hugill, and Fish. Hugill and Fish used to be up there, but have not had the best of seasons for different reasons. Mainly due to injuries for Hugill and Fish have not developed as expected. United has plenty of youth internationals in U18 and U17: Mainoo, Ogunneye, McAllister, Gore, Mather, Shoretire for example.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
Feel like Sterling started at QPR and Sancho at Watford.
Depends what criteria you want to use. Both players were signed for the academy of Liverpool and City I believe.
Bit different from players signed and moved straight into the first team.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
:lol:

We've had players from youth system make England squad too who where at other clubs. Top of head Michael Keane from Everton, think Henderson got capped too at Sheffield United, prob others can't even remember. Remember Welbeck was a mainstay for a while for England scored plenty of goals. We've prob matched other clubs, just no real big big hitter players like a Kane from spurs etc.

No we should keep it going mate :lol:
I will die on this hill. feck you all :lol:

!Remindme 5 years.

I think you raise good points though. Aside from Chelsea whose academy is a monster these days. The difference between us and the other big sides could be argued to be negligible in terms of producing English internationals from the academy.

Flexdegea

I will die on this hill. feck you all :lol:

!Remindme 5 years.

I think you raise good points though. Aside from Chelsea whose academy is a monster these days. The difference between us and the other big sides could be argued to be negligible in terms of producing English internationals from the academy.

Greenwood was the real talent we had, could have been giggsy like iconic for the club, Englands future up front too.

And we know how that went, ironically Giggs having similar problems with the police too :lol:

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
Greenwood was the real talent we had, could have been giggsy like iconic for the club, Englands future up front too.

And we know how that went, ironically Giggs having similar problems with the police too :lol:
Don’t even get me started on Greenwood man. Honestly he’s been my favourite player since he got called up to the first team and is probably are most exciting youth prospect in over 2 decades too.

There’s a small part of me that hopes it all was just some misunderstanding and he’ll be back firing on all cylinders too. However with that said the evidence which was leaked looked pretty damning at the time and if true, I couldn’t possibly support him.

Such a shame as the guy had Baloon D’or potential imo!

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
We have very few English players born in 03 (the U19 England squad). McNeill, Hugill, and Fish. Hugill and Fish used to be up there, but have not had the best of seasons for different reasons. Mainly due to injuries for Hugill and Fish have not developed as expected. United has plenty of youth internationals in U18 and U17: Mainoo, Ogunneye, McAllister, Gore, Mather, Shoretire for example.
To be fair I was basing my post on looking at the current squad which may be inaccurate especially if some friendlies were being played. I did notice the likes of Shoretire in recent call ups for example.

Anyway I’ve decided we’re maybe not as bad as I first thought compared to other clubs. With the exception of Chelsea who are just a completely different monster when it comes to young English talent these days.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Liverpool bought Gomez from Charlton, he’s not from their system. And Trent hardly features for England anyway.

Flexdegea

Liverpool bought Gomez from Charlton, he’s not from their system. And Trent hardly features for England anyway.

Aye, was just players top of my head who where very young and made it to the England squad.