United players underrated by United fans

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Nobby Stiles

A forgetten player amongst greats. A blood and sweat player who gave the steel and spine to midfield.
Annoys me this one. He was exactly what people nowadays would love in our midfield yet, he gets rated as a sort of background player not worthy of any limelight.

Super Mokh

I feel van der sar has been relatively underrated by some here. Sure he was not as extravagant like DDG or Schmike but to me he was the main cog when we start to win again from the year 2005 onwards.

After the shambles we had with the likes of carroll, howard and barthez, he was perfect for us.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
His best season for us (07-08) was marred by a silly debate on the Caf over who was better between him and Carrick. A debate that yielded a mega-thread that went in multiple tangents and involved heavyweights like @noodlehair and @Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber on either side.
I think it's really odd how drastically people's perceptions of players change over time. I mean, whatever side of the fence you were on with Hargreaves, he certainly wasn't one of the best midfielders in the world during any point of his time here, or anywhere close to it.

He wasn't even good enough to get a regular stating place in our midfield during the 07-08 season...he started only 23 of 57 games. Carrick, Scholes and Anderson all started more...add to that, towards the end of the season when he was starting games, it was at right back or out wide on the right.

He did have some good moments though. I was in the Stretford end slagging him off to @Sultan when he scored against Arsenal, and he was excellent after Scholes went off in the CL final, at a point in the game where we were struggling.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Nani is probably a good shout. Inconsistencies did sometimes mar his spell here, but he's sometimes banded in with fairly average squad players and flops when he did have a consistent spell where he was one of our best player.

He became increasingly key towards the end of 09-10, was one of our best players in 10-11, and started well in 11-12 but like a fair few players tailed off after our brilliant start and as the season wore on. But there was still a solid spell of nearly two years where I'd argue he was a fairly important player for us, to a greater level than Fletcher, Evans, Park, Brown, O'Shea etc ever were.

Rashford's probably not an unfair shout either. I think the underrating of him by some is probably more systemic of the extent to which he was initially hyped, which happens regularly with young talents, especially local ones, but it's easy to forget how much of a regular figure he's become in our side considering his age. Although that conversely shouldn't be used by fans to deflect away from genuine criticisms of him.

Decomposing In Paris

Would add his managerial aspirations among the reasons you mentioned.

The man is one of the best and finest players United ever had, but you would never get such impression reading here.
A true legend of the game, and he'll be remembered for generations... but you're right. People say that Fellaini was tarnished by his association with Moyes, but being linked with Moyes and Van Gaal effectively destroyed Giggs' footballing credentials in the eyes of many, and revelations in the press destroyed opinions of him as a man. He's made mistakes, but I'm still grateful I got to see Ryan Giggs' whole career. He was magnificent.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I remember him playing midfield against Juventus and bossing it. For me, he is actually the most underrated defender in Premiership history.
Always liked him. Did well for us in his two seasons after leaving Man. United. Just a shame his fitness was suspect at that point.

Moriarty

Nobby Stiles

A forgetten player amongst greats. A blood and sweat player who gave the steel and spine to midfield.
Nobby was never underrated and he was far more than a 'blood and sweat' player. During the title run-in in 1967, Law was out injured so Busby pushed Nobby up front for two back-to-back games against Fulham. He scored the equalizer in a 2-2 draw at Craven Cottage and the winner in a 2-1 win at Old Trafford the following day.

Now David Herd, he was underrated.

Lj82

Agree with the mentions of Andy Cole. Incredibly consistent goal scorer.

PaulRich

Brian McClair goes largely forgotten in that 26 year wait ending side (and the early Fergie years).
Actually a pretty good shout, this. First player since Law to break the 20 league goal marker helping us to a runners up spot where like this year the points total might have been enough to actually win us something in seasons gone by (just a shame that the dippers were admittedly immense at that time).

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Absolutely Andy Cole, who was not only an excellent goalscorer, but also turned into an excellent footballer with us (Not only is he the 3rd all time PL top scorer, he is still 12th on the all time PL assists.)

Norris

I'd go with Saha. When he was not injured, he was a fantastic striker. Deserves more recognition for his stint with us.

sajeev

Guess you can no longer give a reasoned response, so just resorting to smileys.
Fletcher for a short interval won most of his big battles against the likes of Essien and De Rossi, so called world class midfielders

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Guess you can no longer give a reasoned response, so just resorting to smileys.
Fletcher for a short interval won most of his big battles against the likes of Essien and De Rossi, so called world class midfielders
:lol::lol::lol:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Smalling is underrated on here. United's best defender but many would have him sold.

Ibi Dreams

Does what it says on the tin, but we need better IMO. He could walk into any mid to lower table PL side and not look out of place.
He'd look better than "not out of place". He'd be the best defender in most of these teams.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Brian McClair goes largely forgotten in that 26 year wait ending side (and the early Fergie years).
Over 100 goals for us, 15th on all-time list. Played a few positions, always 100%, excellent player.
Denis Irwin. To me he was the best fullback in the world.
Me too. Evra was excellent but Irwin was better.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Does what it says on the tin, but we need better IMO. He could walk into any mid to lower table PL side and not look out of place.
We need a better pairing with him. Bailly will hopefully be his replacement but I think he still has a while to go.

ricky-romeo

Nani is probably a good shout. Inconsistencies did sometimes mar his spell here, but he's sometimes banded in with fairly average squad players and flops when he did have a consistent spell where he was one of our best player.

He became increasingly key towards the end of 09-10, was one of our best players in 10-11, and started well in 11-12 but like a fair few players tailed off after our brilliant start and as the season wore on. But there was still a solid spell of nearly two years where I'd argue he was a fairly important player for us, to a greater level than Fletcher, Evans, Park, Brown, O'Shea etc ever were.
Nani 2009-2011 on the right wing would have been great for our current team.

trafford1980

Darren Fletcher was one of the best box to midfielders in the world for three seasons.
He wasn't really though.

As much as I love Fletch, he's a perfect example of over-rated by us/under-rated by opposition supporters. Truth is somewhere in-between.

My memories of him are as a real niggler who somehow made his ungainliness work for him. He had a top work rate and played out of his skin in some big matches. Especially against Arsenal and Chelsea.

However, he also happened to play in an era when we had prime Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez etc just bailing out our lack of midfield control in most matches. Reminds me of Liverpool now. They're in the Champions League final and yet no-one would seriously try and argue that their centre-mids are among the best in the league/world.

How Fletch is perceived reminds me a little of Ander Herrera. Oppositions fans think he's just a persistant fouler. They reluctantly give him "nuisance" credit whilst us United supporters look fondly at the big matches they had/have, overlooking all the averageness in between.

Web of Bissaka

Ex players:
Brian McClair & Ronny Johnsen (forgotten sort-of)
Nicky Butt & Phil Neville (doesn't seem to be rated that much)
Andy Cole -only that good when Yorke is around...
Gary Pallister (individually doesn't seem to be rated much)

Saha (injuries)
Nani (inconsistencies)
Rafael (injuries & inconsistencies)

Rooney -suddenly no longer one of the top best players...
VDS -he's good only because of the good defence in front of him...
Park Ji Sung (stamina only)
Berbatov (languid style and first touch)

Cleverley -many only remember his later poor overall total games after the big injury...
Wes Brown (not credited much when our defence is so solidly good, VDS-Rio-Vida-Evra took the spotlight)
Johnny Evans (he's actually that good when he's breaking through)

*Obv some fans won't underrate the players. Collectively or most sounds are like that.*

Current players:
Smalling -bad CB, get rid, sell him...
Blind -average player, get rid...
Darmian -rubbish player, can't defend nor attack at all...
Rojo -is he even that good, sell him...
McTominay -big and tall no skills, conspiracy theory eg. Jose only play him to prove he's playing youth...
Rashford -inconsistent, what's so good about him...
Martial -sulk and lazy...
Shaw -fat and useless...
Lindelof -nothing special, not united quality...
Sanchez -lose balls too much, we don't need him, why do we even get him...

*As usual, how our current players are rated will change after the next game, changes after every games.*

David_azul16

Michael Carrick 06/09. He was even better than on 12/13 during that IMO period. His ability to intercept and pass the ball to the forward players in one or two touches was absolutely ridiculous. Sadly, most of the united fans were dazzled by the quality of our front players and could not appreciate that.

Revan

Assumptionman
Fletcher is the most perplexing one. While he was an okay player during his few years - a bit similar to Lingard in that aspect - he was considered dogshit by many, totally underrated. And then he improved, and then got sick which somehow resulted on him catching the Lukas Leiva syndrome on becoming better the more time is passed by him not playing. He was never world class, never one of the best in the world like a lot of people claim. And never a bad player like a lot of other people claimed during his few years. Instead, he was always a good player, and a very good one in 2008-2009 season.