United should take a hard look at US stars Tyler Adams and Yanus Musah

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I watched two US matches over the break and these two impressed me greatly. Adams, 22, plays for RB Leipzig and Musah, 18, plays for Valencia. IMO Adams is already a better player than Fred and Musah just has so much potential. If the US does well in Qatar these two could become huge stars in the US. The marketing potential is huge if a club like Man United have US star players.

Adams played DM for the US and controlled the pitch very well with his positioning and quick passing. I think he is good enough to start now and could become a great DM in a couple of years. Musah is strong, quick and fast and can blow past defenders with nice moves and touches.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Musah looks to be the real deal. Not quite sold on Adams having what it takes to play for United, not yet anyways.

g11

None of our midfielders can play at the level here at United. Fred would look like a god playing for USMNT.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Adams is a player I usually buy on Football Manager but know very little of.

As a so called CDM- what kind of CDM is he (DLP, anchor man, box to box etc)?

Last edited:

redrobed

Both would immediately improve our first team. Would love it we got them so I could support them as they play for both our club and country.

g11

They wouldn’t make the first team at United. Better they develop elsewhere
Definitely.
The one special player in the team right now is Pepi. I would love to see Pepi getting a chance in Europe to develop. He has a striker instinct that you can’t teach. His movement inside the box is very good for an 18-19 years old.

gerdm07

None of our midfielders can play at the level here at United. Fred would look like a god playing for USMNT.
I'm not sure Fred would be an automatic starter for the USMNT.

gerdm07

Definitely.
The one special player in the team right now is Pepi. I would love to see Pepi getting a chance in Europe to develop. He has a striker instinct that you can’t teach. His movement inside the box is very good for an 18-19 years old.
Adams and Musah are in Europe developing right now. Pepi looked pretty good in the 2 matches I watched especially for a 19 year old. Musah and Adams, though, received most of the plaudits, especially after the Costa Rico match.

mav_9me

I dont know about Musah but Tyler Adams needs to be dominating games for us to consider him. Being better than Fred or McT is not enough for us.

sport2793

Fred's misplaced passes would not make him an anomaly in CONCACAF at least.

sport2793

Adams is a player I usually buy on Football Manager but know very little of.

As a so called CDM- what kind of CDM is he (DLP, anchor man, box to box etc)?
Adams is basically a Kante-type player so whatever you call that. The main thing is that Adams covers a ridiculous amount of ground and is usually in the right place at the right time to intercept passes and stop attacks.

I personally would rather these US players play at clubs where they will get regular playing time and further develop their craft. United is not the place where players will find much help to improve at the moment.

Kamau77

On that scouting mode union omaha ethan conway ìs quite a prospect.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I watched two US matches over the break and these two impressed me greatly. Adams, 22, plays for RB Leipzig and Musah, 18, plays for Valencia. IMO Adams is already a better player than Fred and Musah just has so much potential. If the US does well in Qatar these two could become huge stars in the US. The marketing potential is huge if a club like Man United have US star players.

Adams played DM for the US and controlled the pitch very well with his positioning and quick passing. I think he is good enough to start now and could become a great DM in a couple of years. Musah is strong, quick and fast and can blow past defenders with nice moves and touches.
The level of opposition isn’t great though to make good decisions? (their club games maybe).

Musah … got no chance given the attacking players we’ve got fighting for positions. Would he play over Greenwood or a Sancho? No. Better learning and playing somewhere else.

Ekeke

Musah needs to get back in the Valencia team. Fast and can dribble and obviously very young, but he plays RM for Valencia and Soler usually plays there. Soler is Valencia's best player

When he has played he has showed some flashes, but very inconsistent with his attacking threat. Usually he's not up to much

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What about Freddy Adu?

lilcurt

Fred looks good for Brazil... Judging a player based on international performances is silly.

One can't get in the Valencia team the other is unproven. Neither should be in our plans at all.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Fred looks good for Brazil... Judging a player based on international performances is silly.

One can't get in the Valencia team the other is unproven. Neither should be in our plans at all.
Exactly. This is a case of a fan hyping players from his own country.
But they are nowhere near standard at the moment (if ever) to be starting for United

I'm not sure Fred would be an automatic starter for the USMNT.
:lol:

Starts for Brazil and Manchester United, but not good enough for the US team.

The step up from where Musah and Adams are now to being a Premier League regular is massive.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I know he’s only 18, and I’m sure he is a good talent, but Musah has 41 appearances for Valencia with 2 goals and 0 assists.

Abraxas

Dear me our players get underrated at times. I don't think some people realise their own biases and failure to take account of the differing standards by which they assess players.

The scrutiny Fred receives and the level he has to play at is in a different realm to random American players that haven't done anything in football yet. There isn't a basis to compare them. There's players at all levels that look brilliant in some games, it doesn't mean you can take that performance, compare it to a man in poor form for Manchester United and then say they're better.

Besides, one minute the guys a right back and next he's compared to Fred?!

gerdm07

:lol:

Starts for Brazil and Manchester United, but not good enough for the US team.

The step up from where Musah and Adams are now to being a Premier League regular is massive.
I never said Musah is ready for the PL. He is 19 and might be worth a look for our scouts to buy and loan out. Or we could wait till he is 23 and pay a premium price like we do to often.

It's been said many times here, Fred would not be starter for any of the top 4 clubs in the major leagues in Europe. I'm not sure why he starts for Bazil and I'm surprised they can't find anyone better. Once he leaves us, and he will within the next 2 years, he will be back in Brazil or at middle layer club.

I never said Musah is ready for the PL. He is 19 and might be worth a look for our scouts to buy and loan out. Or we could wait till he is 23 and pay a premium price like we do to often.

It's been said many times here, Fred would not be starter for any of the top 4 clubs in the major leagues in Europe. I'm not sure why he starts for Bazil and I'm surprised they can't find anyone better. Once he leaves us, and he will within the next 2 years, he will be back in Brazil or at middle layer club.
It might have been said, but it's not true. He is a lot better than some people here give him credit for because we expect him to run the midfield on his own. Like many of our players since SAF left, we have fit perfectly good square pegs into round holes.

Classical Mechanic

I've followed Musah since he was in the England youth sides. He's been largely underwhelming in senior football so far. He'll turn 19 soon so there still plenty of time for him but I doubt that we're going to be looking at him at the moment.

mboRa ndomHer0723

Maybe Gio Reyna from the US team, but I do not think Musah and Adams are at United's level now. The only good thing about Adams is he could fill in at RB if needed.

gerdm07

It might have been said, but it's not true. He is a lot better than some people here give him credit for because we expect him to run the midfield on his own. Like many of our players since SAF left, we have fit perfectly good square pegs into round holes.
He really isn't. He is not a very good DM, he certainly is not a box-to-box midfielder, he would be a terrible AM, and he can't play on the wing. Which round hole should he be in?

The day we replace Fred and McT with a quality DM is the day we can say with certainty we could compete for major titles. Right now, we have a chance but the stars have to align just right.

Nick7

Level of opposition is far too low to judge anyone by CONCACAF. I mean the Qatar were “excellent” at the Gold Cup and Ireland just steam rolled them. We might as well buy Conor Hourihane if we’re judging based on that.