United to take Kiwi U17 keeper on trial

PS18

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4199818a10.html

From Johnsonville to Old Trafford - under-17 goalie Jake Gleeson thought it was a joke when told he was spotted by a scout for famous British football club Manchester United.

From Johnsonville's Alex Moore Park to one of the world's greatest soccer stadiums - Old Trafford.
Jake Gleeson, 17, has been plucked from obscurity for a trial next month with Manchester United, one of the biggest clubs in the game.
But he heads overseas to embark on every footballer's dream with a secret - he's actually a Liverpool fan and will also showcase his skills at staunch local rival Everton.
The goalkeeper, who impressed for New Zealand at the Under-17 World Cup last month in South Korea, was spotted by an English scout who approached his father, Pat, at the tournament.
Gleeson said he thought it was a gag when he heard about the scout's interest.
But the e-mails from England followed and now he is just waiting for the plane tickets.
"When Pat told me, I thought this is a joke, no premiership club would want a goalkeeper from New Zealand," he said.
"When I found it was true, it was pretty hard to believe. It's cool but I haven't quite got round to believing it yet, I guess."
The 1.93-metre Newlands College pupil, from the Wellington suburb of Johnsonville, impressed the scout during his team's 7-0 defeat to Brazil, when he produced a string of fine saves.
Gleeson has landed the all-expenses-paid trip for one-week trials at both Manchester United and Everton.
He admits he does not know who he is meeting or what to expect when he hops off the plane.
Manchester United, the current English premier league champions, are the world's most popular football team, boasting household names, including Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo.
"That would be awesome, to meet them," Gleeson said. "I wouldn't mind going to a premiership game."
The Liverpool supporter said he would be "keeping that fact quiet" while at Everton.
Diving around on the Alex Moore Park ground on which he played as a junior is a world away from the Old Trafford stadium, known as the Theatre of Dreams.
New Zealand under-17 coach Colin Tuaa said Gleeson was only called into the squad as an injury replacement last year but had since made "some quite amazing progress" to star at the World Cup.
"It's very, very exciting for any New Zealand player and we're very excited for him."
6'4" at 17 years old, certainly got the stature to make a decent keeper. not often a keeper impresses when conceding 7, must have done something right.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
"Gazza might have a few choice words for him otherwise."

6'4" and 85 kilos at seventeen years old - maybe Gazza should just leave him. Seems to have potential to be as huge as the great Dane - within size that is.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I remember reading about George Best scoring like 7 goals in a youth cup game against a low league team (Can't remember which team). United then signed the keeper who had impressed. So it has been done before.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I remember reading about George Best scoring like 7 goals in a youth cup game against a low league team (Can't remember which team). United then signed the keeper who had impressed. So it has been done before.
I would be interested in the details as my records show him only ever scoring three against Barrow in the opening tie of the 1963/64 season and we never signed the Barrow keeper.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I would be interested in the details as my records show him only ever scoring three against Barrow in the opening tie of the 1963/64 season and we never signed the Barrow keeper.
I'm probably mistaken or perhaps it was during the 50's where we signed a unknown youth keeper after thrashing their side. Just felt certain that was the case.

Kiwi_fan

I'm a little pisspot
Very interesting, from my memory Gleeson isn't even first choice for the under 17's, or wasn't last year. He's a big guy and has impressed me in the couple of games I've seen of him, so good luck to the lad.