United trigger a one year extension to AWB's contract

Lentwood

There's nothing wrong with extending contracts of players who actually play a decent number of games.

The problem was when we extended contracts simply to 'protect the asset', which was a fundamentally misguided view of the economics behind the value of a footballer

Reiver

No problem with keeping him. Last season, I thought he was one of the players that had visibly improved under EtH. Signing him up means we don't need to worry about the RB position this summer.

Revan

Assumptionman
He's bad but we don't have money for a right back, so there are much higher priorities. I guess he will leave in free in 2025 and next season will continue share the position with Dalot.

Shinjch

Would have much rather he was let go. I don't see the benefit in keeping him around.

PieCrust

Pretty big meh from me. He isn't starting quality, but fine for the squad I guess.

Definitely should not be re-signed with a pay packet that would likely exceed £100k/ wk. Have to find better quality for that wage range.

saivet

I think triggering the extension makes sense though I don't think we should be offering him a new contract and if so, it should be on reduced terms.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I don’t think he’s the right sort of fullback for a team playing with inverted wingers - we need a fullback that’s great at going forward and holding the width. Another strange decision.

MrParker

Very happy with this decision. I've not managed to catch as many games this season as usual so can't particularly comment on his performances this year but I've always found him to be an excellent defender which is his primary job. Many great wingers have struggled when coming up against AWB and he's excellent at one on ones. Just needs to be a bit sharper at times but I don't think he switches of as much as he used too and isn't as big a risk defending corners/crosses either compared to when he first joined which shows he has the ability to still improve areas of his game.

Demon Barber

I'm happy to keep him around. I also think the home-grown aspect has something to do with it too.

United Hobbit

I don't have any problems with AWB getting an extension

What's more concerning is it says "talks are continuing" with Martial - we'd better not be thinking about offering him an extension!

RedMarcus

I don't have any problems with AWB getting an extension

What's more concerning is it says "talks are continuing" with Martial - we'd better not be thinking about offering him an extension!
Couldn't agree more. Cannot understand why we are seriously considering another year with Martial. We never learn

Based Adnan

Will be one of many players who are nowhere near good enough yet were able to forge 10 year long careers at the club

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Will be one of many players who are nowhere near good enough yet were able to forge 10 year long careers at the club
Tbf we had those even in our prime ie squad players like OShea, Phil nev etc. Awb is way better then Phil was

tomaldinho1

He's a good age, a good defender and seems to keep his head down. Ideally we can find a first choice RB this summer but there'll always be games AWB can be valuable and, to his credit, he has looked better under ETH

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's certainly not.
He is. Phil had his same problem going forward and he was worse defensively. I dread seeing him committing himself into a sliding tackle in the penalty box. 2/3 of the time it would end up in a penalty. The guy got England knocked out and nearly costed us the treble

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Of course we should extend his contract, it's a good decision, since we have no one better anyway. Hopefully he can improve more fitness wise and keep himself fit, but sooner or later we will give him improved contract for some reason, I have no doubts about that, and that will be wrong decision.

He is still relatively young, seems like a decent bloke, and hopefully he can improve his form, because when he is in good form he is good player IMO. Not great, but good enough.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
90k a week would make him one of the top earners at either club. He is just not productive enough to justify that for a mid table club.

And that is providing he doesn't want a salary bump.

Same old story. We buy players, they underperform and we cant shift them.
You act like the clubs I mentioned have TAAs for fullbacks. They don't. Some of you have gotten so used to the Glazers being rank shit at selling and negotiations you believe all players on our books have no market value and no one interested in them because of the myth of wages rather than the sheer incompetence of our owners at shifting them.

gaffs

You act like the clubs I mentioned have TAAs for fullbacks. They don't. Some of you have gotten so used to the Glazers being rank shit at selling and negotiations you believe all players on our books have no market value and no one interested in them because of the myth of wages rather than the sheer incompetence of our owners at shifting them.
You can only sell players that other clubs want. After years of underperforming, it is really difficult to shift highly payed players.

Yes, the club has been incompetent in the case of some sales - not selling Lingard post the West Ham move was a massive mistake.

Just look at our squad now. There are very few that are an appealing proposition for any other clubs because of their wages.

If United had sell £150mil worth of players, i think it would be near impossible to achieve.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
You can only sell players that other clubs want. After years of underperforming, it is really difficult to shift highly payed players.

Yes, the club has been incompetent in the case of some sales - not selling Lingard post the West Ham move was a massive mistake.

Just look at our squad now. There are very few that are an appealing proposition for any other clubs because of their wages.

If United had sell £150mil worth of players, i think it would be near impossible to achieve.
Maguire with his awful season and high wages was still wanted. Mctominay was wanted we just didn't want to sell. Rashford post his Ragnick stinker was wanted by PSG for 65m plus. We said get lost. Lindelof last summer was wanted to replace Skrinar at Inter, we just didn't wan't to sale. Frankly people conflate our inability to sell due to incompetence with teams not wanting our players due to supposed wages or under performance.

If INEOS get the footballing directing department in order with the right people as we expect them to. Our fans will be in for a big surprise as to how much we will be able to raise from selling players next summer. Plus not buying players worth 25m for 80m because we can finally negotiate and bargain better.