United U18 - Boro

lysglimt

Scout
Kickoff in 5 minutes

Line up
Manchester United: Johan Guadagno – Iestyn Hughes, Rhys Bennett, Björn Hardley, Álvaro Fernández – Zidane Iqbal, Martin Svidersky – Charlie Wellens, Dillon Hoogewerf, Alejandro Garnacho – Joe Hugill.
Subs: Radek Vitek, Marc Jurado, Isak Hansen-Aarøen, Charlie McNeill, Charlie Savage.

Mickson

Iestyn Hughes, he's not great, is he? Losing ball after ball. Even as the last man after a corner, thankfully Iqbal saves the day with a last-ditch tackle. A scrappy game so far but United look a little bit more confident this season. If this game was last season, United would have been two down by now.

Prodigal7

Strange that Hugill is playing down again in the 18s having been scoring for fun in the 23s. Still I guess we’re short in that area with Mejia out. Maybe McNeill is preferred now as a more permanent fixture in the 23s

lysglimt

Scout
Oh my God - what is Guadagno doing. Just blind luck that Boro dont equalize.

lenny_1248

Is Emeran injured? He did not play against Everton either, yes?
And where's Willy....

Mickson

Yeah, wanted to see Willy too. Maybe injured? Not been involved since his debut. United are having some troubles with their passing, particularly in the build up. Iestyn Hughes is a risk in the first half too, he is giving away too much defensively and really not doing anything in attack. I've been impressed by Garnacho for the first time, a great turn of pace. Dare I say flashes of Fernando Torres. Iqbal, Hugill, Svidersky, and Bennett decent as well. Fernandez not up to his usual standard so far.

lysglimt

Scout
Guadagno really needs to think about his passing out from the back

Prodigal7

Fernandez looks 100% quality - he looks mature
he's very talented but also has been coached really well, fair play to RM staff. Always makes the right decisions, always looking up for a pass and just so comfortable on the ball either running with it or moving it around. Probably my new favourite academy player alongside Iqbal.

lysglimt

Scout
Super football 2-0 Hugill - Nice build up. Hughes and Hoogewerf combine neatly and Hugill with a simple tap-in

lysglimt

Scout
3-0 Wellens - assist by Alvaro Fernandez. 59 minutes played. Fernandez finds space down the left - rolls it inside to Wellens who shoots low in the near corner

AJ VII

2-0 Hugill, great attack.

Fernandez is really impressive, wonder how long it will take before he gets to train with the first team.
3-0 Wellens, 2. half have started great.

lysglimt

Scout
Iestyn Hughes, he's not great, is he? Losing ball after ball. Even as the last man after a corner, thankfully Iqbal saves the day with a last-ditch tackle. A scrappy game so far but United look a little bit more confident this season. If this game was last season, United would have been two down by now.
Hughes has actually been one of our best performers in the 2nd half.

Robbo*

Is Jurado being blooded slowly? Expected him to be featuring as much as Fernandez is.

lysglimt

Scout
1-3 Poor headed clearance by Hughes - and Guadagno should have saved that shot imo

lysglimt

Scout
4-1 Hansen. Avoided a challenge on the right - moved inside and scored from 5-6 yards out

lysglimt

Scout
Ratings:

Guadagno - 5 - looks fine on the line, but his distribution can give any coach a heartattack.

Fernandez - 8 MOTM - looks quality. Good passing, good runs. Mature

Hardley - 6 - mostly solid without being spectacular. Struggled a bit defensively on a couple of occations

Bennett - 7 - won many duels and had a better game than Hardley. Saved Guadagno on one occation

Hughes - 7 - maybe our best player in the 2nd half until he was at fault for the goal with a poor clearance. Nice assist for Hugills 2nd

Iqbal - 7 - one tackle that was worth the 7 alone when Boro were through on goal. Slightly anonymous going forward

Wellens - 7 - nicely taken goal and a lot of good passes

Svidersky - 7 - keeps the ball flowing nicely. Hard working and wins a lot of duels.

Hoogewerf - 6 - poor before the break, a lot better afterwards. Good work defensively. End-product missing

Hugill - 8 - goalscorer who is also a good target-player. Could possibly be the best signing of all the youngsters this summer.

Garnacho - 6 - fell out of the game a bit too much. One strong run that could have ended with a goal.

Reactions: Invictus

Mickson

Hughes has actually been one of our best performers in the 2nd half.
I agree. Piss poor in the first half, very good in the second. The same goes for many though. Hoogewerf the same. Fernandez not poor in the first but not good either, however, he was brilliant in the second half.

lysglimt

Scout
Guadagno was a strange one - it was like the coaches told him. "Pick the player who is most under pressure and throw the ball to him, I want to see how he copes under pressure". And he looked a decent goalkeeper on the line and when crosses came in, but his distribution was Boro's best attacking weapon during the entire game.

Sea-Cow

Ratings:

Guadagno - 5 - looks fine on the line, but his distribution can give any coach a heartattack.

Fernandez - 8 MOTM - looks quality. Good passing, good runs. Mature

Hardley - 6 - mostly solid without being spectacular. Struggled a bit defensively on a couple of occations

Bennett - 7 - won many duels and had a better game than Hardley. Saved Guadagno on one occation

Hughes - 7 - maybe our best player in the 2nd half until he was at fault for the goal with a poor clearance. Nice assist for Hugills 2nd

Iqbal - 7 - one tackle that was worth the 7 alone when Boro were through on goal. Slightly anonymous going forward

Wellens - 7 - nicely taken goal and a lot of good passes

Svidersky - 7 - keeps the ball flowing nicely. Hard working and wins a lot of duels.

Hoogewerf - 6 - poor before the break, a lot better afterwards. Good work defensively. End-product missing

Hugill - 8 - goalscorer who is also a good target-player. Could possibly be the best signing of all the youngsters this summer.

Garnacho - 6 - fell out of the game a bit too much. One strong run that could have ended with a goal.
Thanks for this!

I saw a few gifs on Twitter and am always amazed at tiny Hoogewerf. Even against kids his age he looks so short and stocky.

Davie Moyes

Just seen the goals on mutv app in today's round up segment. Great strike by the Boro lad and then Hansen scored a great individual goal.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I watched the match at 8 am in the office today because i knew it will be worth it (I wouldn't have done it last season) :)

The match was tougher than the scoreline suggests it but i still had never the feeling that we would not win the match (and that without Emeran, Kambwala, Forson or Pye).......Hugill is of course so far amazing but if you have McNeil & Hansen-Aarøen on the bench then it must give everyone confidence.

Goals number 2 and 4 were so sexy :drool:

Last edited:

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Guadagno was a strange one - it was like the coaches told him. "Pick the player who is most under pressure and throw the ball to him, I want to see how he copes under pressure". And he looked a decent goalkeeper on the line and when crosses came in, but his distribution was Boro's best attacking weapon during the entire game.
To be honest that was my feeling too because it was really odd and crazy in 2-3 situations.