United v Bolton

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Great goal by Danny Welbeck.

Started the move, shifted it right to Barnes, continued his run and met the ball first time for a finish into the corner.

The boy is a top talent.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Great goal by Danny Welbeck.

Started the move, shifted it right to Barnes, continued his run and met the ball first time for a finish into the corner.

The boy is a top talent.
Sounds brilliant. Hopefully we will be seeing a few first team appearances from him next season with the whole 7 subs thing.

sincher

He might go on loan next season I reckon, though may also depend on what happens with Manucho/Saha/new signings/Campbell.

sincher

... and Welbeck nearly set up a goal on the counter.

gerrydaly

Praying to have a guy on top of him
Amazing scamble in the United box. Save by Zieller, another shot blocked and then anothe of the line by Evans.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
1-0 Wellbeck - 80mins, tidy 1st time finish from Barnes cross. He deserves his goal, alot better performance 2nd half. Rodrigo our best player tonight.
Excellent. I mean no disrespect but those two are really the only two who have the talent to make it from that line up. Did Bolton field any of their big fishes?

pert

Cracking goal Rodrigo

He's been brilliant

sincher

Nice finish alright. This is a good performance from the lads.

Decotron

Excellent. I mean no disrespect but those two are really the only two who have the talent to make it from that line up. Did Bolton field any of their big fishes?
No not at all mostly kids. A few decent ones at that. A little like City 3 seasons ago they must have 5/6 players 6foot plus. Guile wins the race everytime though!

BezsMaracas

Special mentions for Cleverley and Eckersley at the back, both were superb. We should have had a couple of penalties, absolute blatant fouls waved away.

Bolton should probably have won it though, couldn't finish.

twitter thread suggester
That 7 players on the bench rule will do a world of good for Welbeck.

Bring on next season - oh, after the 21st that is.

Virtuoso

Well done to the young lads tonight for a hard-fought victory in the final. First half belonged to Bolton on the whole, they're forwards out-muscled our defenders which meant that their long ball tactics worked a charm. However, a fantastic 25 yard free kick by Eagles and one or two other well crafted moments were the only times that we put their defence under pressure. Have to say, without Richard Eckersley we would have been 1 or 2 down at half time...that's how good he was. Making tackles all over the place, winning headers against players twice the size of him and giving more than anyone else for the shirt.

Second half began a bit scrappy from both sides, but the key man was Rodrigo whose steadying influence in the centre of midfield gave our more attacking players a much needed boost in confidence as we kept better possession and our attacks had a fluency which was lacking in the first half. Rodrigo was playing passes long and short to feet as well as holding onto and shielding the ball in a manner which is incredible for one so young. Eckersley was still the main man at the back but now Welbeck was beginning to get into his stride. Welbeck was immense at times; winning possession, defending from the front, taking on players, bringing others into the game and his shooting accuracy was superb.

Our first goal came through good play down the right had side by Michael Barnes who was non-existent for large parts of the match but came to life at the end. Welbeck finished clinically first time on the slide into the far corner to give us the lead with 10 mins left. As the game progressed, we got lucky at times as Bolton really could and should have scored at least one goal were it not for some heroic defending and goalkeeping. Rodrigo's goal came after good work by him and then a bit of a scrap in the box but he finished brilliantly with a left-foot volley across the keeper.

Overall, could have went either way but well done to our players for really fighting when need be and then showing the necessary quality to come through victorious in the end. The 3 outstanding players made up the spine of the side which was crucial; Eckersley, Rodrigo and Welbeck.

68-99-08

I reckon outside Welbeck and Possebon of the starting 11, Cleverly has a decent chance. Hard-working, versatile, not a bad player either. He could go onto become a decent squad player for us.

Hes the player whos impressed me most this year in the reserves.

RedPhil1957

I reckon outside Welbeck and Possebon of the starting 11, Cleverly has a decent chance. Hard-working, versatile, not a bad player either. He could go onto become a decent squad player for us.

you would have to add Eagles to those three, he has been best player on the pitch a number of times and he has done well as a support striker a position I have never seen him play until this season. He is still improving, I guess that is why the club retain him, plus he is a United fanatic so who can blame him for giving it a go.
Richard Eckersley reminds me a bit of a young Gazza less talent than some around him but would run through a brick wall for the team and his sheer determination to improve might just get him there.

PS18

agree with the last sentence, but it's hard to see anyone but the most sublimely talented kids stepping up to the first team these days.

VoetbalWizard

excited about both welbeck and possebon. really impressed with possebon's maturity in midfield. they've already been training with the first team from what i've heard. Hopefully we'll see a lot of both of them during our pre-season warmups and money spinning tours. Hopefully we'll have long carling cup run where they both take the competition by storm (along with the rest of our young ones and possibly our potential new signing, aaron ramsey).

Virtuoso

Possebon is Carricks Argentine cousin, he'll make it into a top league in europe.
He's Brazilian mate, with an Italian father I think so that's why we didn't have to go through the whole work permit lark because of his Italian passport. But yeah, I can definitely see comparisons with Carrick. Maybe a bit of Fabregas there as well, though he doesn't seem as attack-minded and does sit back quite a lot. Yesterday was nice seeing him go forward more, someone had to take the initiative.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
He's Brazilian mate, with an Italian father I think so that's why we didn't have to go through the whole work permit lark because of his Italian passport. But yeah, I can definitely see comparisons with Carrick. Maybe a bit of Fabregas there as well, though he doesn't seem as attack-minded and does sit back quite a lot. Yesterday was nice seeing him go forward more, someone had to take the initiative.
Yes, generally he seems to sit and pass like Carrick, it the composure that stands out immediately with him

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Brief highlights of the game.
All the action is from the latter stages of the game as United were mediocre up until that.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Cheers for the highlights, Charley. I don't have MUTV so I might be talking out of my arse, but to me Rodrigo seems more dynamic than Carrick. Seems to have a bit of pace as well.

Longlivekeano

Hope Rodrigo,Wellbeck, Eagles get to start a few League Cup, FA Cup matches as well as some dead rubber EPL/Champions League matches next season. Hope they make the breakthrough into the first team in the next 2-3 years and continue our tradition of blooding the youth