United Vs Boro - Foster in line to start

Ivor Ballokov

Foster set for Reds comeback

United goalkeeper Ben Foster is set to make his return from knee ligament damage in the Reserves' clash with Middlesbrough tonight.

The 24-year-old underwent knee surgery last summer and, after a gruelling recovery process, has been named in the Reds' squad by Brian McClair and Jim Ryan.

Foster's United career to date has been a strange tale. Despite joining three years ago from Stoke City, his injury and two seasons on loan at Watford have prevented him from making a single competitive appearance for the Reds.

The England international has resigned himself to waiting until next season for a first team opening at Old Trafford, but Thursday's match against Boro will be a welcome step in the right direction.

Foster is the oldest member of a strong squad for the Teessiders' visit. Chris Eagles, Gerard Pique and Danny Simpson are also included, alongside the highly-rated Rodrigo Possebon and Danny Welbeck.

Thursday's match takes place at the Marston's Arena, Northwich, with a 7pm kick-off. The game is live on MUTV, with coverage starting at 18:30 GMT.

United squad: Foster, Zieler; Pique, Lea, Simpson, Eckersley, Chester, James;
Hewson, Cleverley, Eagles, Possebon, C Evans; Bryan, Welbeck, Fagan.
No Neville, hope he hasn't had a further setback

Red17

Surprise that Gary doesn't get another run out. I wonder if he's injured or will be getting a run out on Saturday.

prateik

dont see nev playing in the fA this sat ..
hopefully he'll start against derby

Tyeza

GN should be back in about 2 weeks I reckon. Foster thoughin my eyes could make a CL debut this season say next round maybe? Surely VDS needs a rest and Kuszack (excuse spelling) is just clumsy.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Is there a stream for this? Surely there must be a stream for MUTV somewhere?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Foster thoughin my eyes could make a CL debut this season say next round maybe?
That's a very bad idea. He should concentrate on his fitness and his fitness alone for the rest of the season.

Coca Cola

One balled wonder
GN should be back in about 2 weeks I reckon. Foster thoughin my eyes could make a CL debut this season say next round maybe? Surely VDS needs a rest and Kuszack (excuse spelling) is just clumsy.
VDS will probably get a rest at some stage of the season, but in a CL game? why rest our first choice goalkeeper in crucial European games :houllier:

PS18

there always used to be a tvants stream for a while but that seemed to stop last season and i haven't found anything else since.

PS18

err, not a chance in hell. don't think he's even in our CL squad so it wouldn't be possible even if Fergie made the bizarre decision to rest VDS for a big CL game.