Alessia Russo
2022/23: Hannah Blundell
2023/24: Ella Toone & Maya Le Tissier

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Player of the Year - done by fans’ voting.

I’d say the top 3 should be Batlle, Earps & Le Tissier, in no particular order. Turner with his important goals could be the wildcard option. Perhaps even Galton?

Think Batlle or Earps will come out on top.

Prior winners:
2018/19: Katie Zelem
2019/20: Hayley Ladd
2020/21: Ona Batlle
2021/22: Ella Toone

Russo won the inaugural Players’ Player of the Year last season. Again I think it’ll be either Batlle or Earps.

Any other players you think should be nominated or win the awards?
I think I'd want to see Batlle win it for her combination of consistency, energy and talent. A fullback with her skill as a defender and on the ball and her ability to provide assists is exceptional.

We'd have a lot fewer points without her crosses and her all round play. Not that she's the only one that's had a good season - just that she is a bit special.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I think I'd want to see Batlle win it for her combination of consistency, energy and talent. A fullback with her skill as a defender and on the ball and her ability to provide assists is exceptional.

We'd have a lot fewer points without her crosses and her all round play. Not that she's the only one that's had a good season - just that she is a bit special.
Yeah hard to disagree with any of that really. She’s a special player.

Grande

From what I’ve seen, most players have had good seasons. Previous favorites, Ella Toone, Russo and Turner has not been at their absolute best, but good. Zelem has been important, even if not perfect. Leah Galton has impressed, and Hannah Blundell. Maya Le Tissier has been biggest positive surprised, but I think to me, it’s between Mary Earps and Ona Batlle. I’ll put my vote on Batlle.

Lost bear

From what I’ve seen, most players have had good seasons. Previous favorites, Ella Toone, Russo and Turner has not been at their absolute best, but good. Zelem has been important, even if not perfect. Leah Galton has impressed, and Hannah Blundell. Maya Le Tissier has been biggest positive surprised, but I think to me, it’s between Mary Earps and Ona Batlle. I’ll put my vote on Batlle.
Yep, me too.

top1whoisman

Scout
100% agree with every word.

Lost bear

Convincing win today, and Mary Earps and Leah Galton in particular upped their claims by decisive performances, all the while Batlle and Le Tissier played well enough.
Brilliant, yes. With a bit of luck they might even win the WSL…

Demon Barber

Turner with HIS important goals is an interesting one!

1. Galton 2. Earps 3. Batlle for me - with a special award to everybody else who has pulled on a shirt.

No award for Skinner - he chews with his mouth open

EDIT.: This was for the player of the year thread. No idea what happened. Can it be moved?

EDIT again ... Thanks

Last edited:

Lost bear

With a lot of luck. Player by player, Chelsea’s second string should walk the rest of their games.
Er…yes I realise you’re quite right. Like to have a bit of hope in my life though, especially in these dark days.

top1whoisman

Scout
The polls will open today and the gala will be held at Old Trafford on 29 May.

top1whoisman

Scout
Blundell won the Players’ Player of the Year award. Unsung hero of the squad for sure.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Yeah they awarded to her on the pitch and we were trying to figure out what was going on. Well deserved

top1whoisman

Scout
There were a few more beautiful goals, Bøe Risa’s free kick being my personal favourite, but in terms of a big moment I get why Russo’s winner at the Emirates was voted as the goal of the year.

top1whoisman

Scout
Think whoever it was who presented the award to Russo called her ”Alessa” and made a weird ”joke” at the end about someone else carrying the award for her because it’s heavy :nervous:

https://www.manutd.com/en/videos/de...ted-women-goal-of-the-season-award-for-202223

Edit: Yeah watched it again. Awkward. It would be a nice start if you could learn the correct name and she's probably about 10x more powerful than you. Yes, even if she's a woman. What an idiot.

Edit 2: It's this one:

top1whoisman

Scout
Just a confirmation to what Skinner already told us on Saturday.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Well, I'm delighted for her, though I admit I'd have gone with Batlle!

It does give you an idea of Alessia's importance to the club as well as to the team. Alessia is a favourite with the youngsters who go to the women play at Leigh - the Lioness who lots of little girls in United kit want to be.

Beyond that though, she's got name recognition with a much broader group of fans globally as well as in the UK - including those who aren't regular WSL watchers. It's something United acknowledged when they put her in the shop window (literally) at their Davros exhibition.

And of course she does score some very memorable goals :D

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Well, I'm delighted for her, though I admit I'd have gone with Batlle!

It does give you an idea of Alessia's importance to the club as well as to the team. Alessia is a favourite with the youngsters who go to the women play at Leigh - the Lioness who lots of little girls in United kit want to be.

Beyond that though, she's got name recognition with a much broader group of fans globally as well as in the UK - including those who aren't regular WSL watchers. It's something United acknowledged when they put her in the shop window (literally) at their Davros exhibition.

And of course she does score some very memorable goals :D
Yeah I said exactly the same in the other thread. She is very very popular

Dan_F

Think whoever it was who presented the award to Russo called her ”Alessa” and made a weird ”joke” at the end about someone else carrying the award for her because it’s heavy :nervous:

https://www.manutd.com/en/videos/de...ted-women-goal-of-the-season-award-for-202223

Edit: Yeah watched it again. Awkward. It would be a nice start if you could learn the correct name and she's probably about 10x more powerful than you. Yes, even if she's a woman. What an idiot.

Is it a sponsor? Surely that’s not someone working for the club?

top1whoisman

Scout

Nah I’m sure it’s someone from a sponsor. Seems we’re quite far away from getting rid of everyday sexism.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Jesus Christ what a fecking moron :houllier:

Thiagoal

OMG that’s so cringe! I’m not sure he was joking- I think he genuinely thought that a trained female athlete would struggle to hold the trophy! ‍

top1whoisman

Scout
OMG that’s so cringe! I’m not sure he was joking- I think he genuinely thought that a trained female athlete would struggle to hold the trophy! ‍
Yeah definitely. He even continued to ask "are you sure?" when Lessi took the trophy.