Universal Basic Income

Javi

You' be surprised.

There's food banks and charities all across the major cities now that help people get a daily meal.
OK apologies for being uneducated on the matter but it seems that maybe enacting a decent social security net first would be a more pressing matter for the UK, not UBI.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I’m definitely in favour of it, think it would encourage the poor especially to do what they love rather than working just to pay bills.
Over time it’ll decrease stress, hopefully decrease things like the divorce rate, child poverty, kids not going to school hungry etc.

Make it happen.
Pretty much, the benefits to society could be really big, of course there probably are ways it can be exploited etc so you have to be careful.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
only if done through quantitive easing, if done through higher corporate tax rates there would be no new money in the economy to devalue it
Which has its own obvious problems.

Javi

That’s a pretty ignorant view tbh.
Poverty rate is rapidly increasing in the UK and America, and third world countries aren’t only stuck in poverty.
What is ignorant about it? The expectation that in a country with the material wealth of the UK there is social security policy in place for people to have enough money to fecking eat?

Cassidy

OK apologies for being uneducated on the matter but it seems that maybe enacting a decent social security net first would be a more pressing matter for the UK, not UBI.
UBI is a much better version of a social security net, one that requires less policing and one that has far greater benefits to society as a whole.
Also its not just the UK that needs this.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Would nations be able to afford it?

We have this discussion every now and then in Norway, and it all comes down to cost which would be very high since the living costs in Norway are ridiculous.

EyeInTheSky

The idea is everyone of working age is given a payment each month. Finland have been trialing it for over a year now, where 2,000 randomly selected citizens have been receiving £475/month. It's tax free, and with no requirement to look or accept work. Scotland are set to trial it in certain towns aswell.
I believe they did it in Canada somewhere with great success

Javi

UBI is a much better version of a social security net, one that requires less policing and one that has far greater benefits to society as a whole.
Also its not just the UK that needs this.
Agreed but I imagine it to need more political capital. Having food banks and stuff is unacceptable short term. I know that it's not only a discussion re UK but global, I was talking about just the UK though.

Cassidy

What is ignorant about it? The expectation that in a country with the material wealth like the UK there is social security policy in place for people to have enough money to fecking eat?
Another example, a country with the material wealth like the US, yet they don't have a proper healthcare policy in place for people to able to get well when sick?
1st world countries have become places where greed is rife and most systems are incredibly broken.

SwansonsTache

Another example, a country with the material wealth like the US, yet they don't have a proper healthcare policy in place for people to able to get well when sick?
1st world countries have become places where greed is rife and most systems are incredibly broken.
Strangely the Scandinavian model that they despise so much over there (cuz communism) is the one that works the best.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Yes, referring to my post earlier.

Its already the case right now today, that many jobs do not actually need to exist. An example is the battle right now for TFL to introduce driverless trains on the tube in London. We are moving to a future where many jobs will be made redundant by technology and its not AI but just simple technology.

Its not to say people wouldn't still work in Tescos or for TFL, but it will be less, these businesses would also increase their profitability and pay a higher rate of tax because of it.
But those are isolated examples and we're talking about a universal policy. Also, technological advancement doesn't happen everywhere, at the same rate. Migration problems will only get bigger.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
What is ignorant about it? The expectation that in a country with the material wealth like the UK there is social security policy in place for people to have enough money to fecking eat?
Yes, because poverty exists everywhere.
Poverty is defined as receiving approximately 60% below the average household salary.
Therefore if you’re receiving welfare, you’re more likely to live in poverty, by its very definition.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Would there be any kind of means testing?

i.e. someone worth millions who already takes down hundreds of thousands each year wouldn't benefit from it, and taking those people out of the equation would enable a higher level of UBI for those it would really help.

Javi

That's ludicrous too but the US is a special place and I take it nobody will be starving and nobody will be turned down with a life threatening condition in a hospital, still people die because of it and it's very bad, I agree.

Cassidy

Agreed but I imagine it to need more political capital. Having food banks and stuff is unacceptable short term. I know that it's not only a discussion re UK but global, I was talking about just the UK though.
Again not true, means tested social security measures requires a lot of policing and administration costs. I can't remember the exact country, one of the Scandinavian ones, possibly Finland. Ran a trial for UBI which actually showed it reduced their overall costs (or had the potential to), not to mention that if it then allows businesses to cut mundane jobs and increased profitability then that would also mean increased taxable revenues.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

i.e. someone worth millions who already takes down hundreds of thousands each year wouldn't benefit from it, and taking those people out of the equation would enable a higher level of UBI for those it would really help.
Nah. Clues in the name. :p

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
14 bn spread between ~ 60 million comes to about 2k a year
£233.

For 60 million folk to have a UBI of £5k would cost the exchequer £300bn. I guess Milliband was adding 14 billion to the sum saved through the drastic reduction of other benefits - it still seems low.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

No. Google what Universal means :)

Cassidy

I think one of the main benefits is to get rid of the needs for means testing and policing, or at least lessen it. The fact that someone earns millions shouldn't matter since they also contribute more to the system as a whole than someone who is not working.

EDIT: Yes Universals means its for everyone.

I actually think sharing the proceeds of the GDP of a nation with its inhabitants so they can all benefit from it makes a lot of sense.

SwansonsTache

I'm for it, the related benefits could heavily outweigh the costs/dangers. Just imagine how much happier and therefor healthier people would be (especially the lower income households). Obviously my own country (Germany) would need a functioning migration system before this could be successfully implemented. The amount of people coming here for solely financial reasons is too high already.
Same here. Luckily we don't have someone as bat shit crazy as Angela "wir schaffen das" Merkel, or the lunatics in power in Sweden.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
No. Google what Universal means :)
'Trouble is, Elv, the Tories habitually redefine ordinary words; for example, 'independence' means 'even though you have no arms and legs, you're fit for work'.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I think one of the main benefits is to get rid of the needs for means testing and policing, or at least lessen it. The fact that someone earns millions shouldn't matter since they also contribute more to the system as a whole than someone who is not working.
Fair point.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Again not true, means tested social security measures requires a lot of policing and administration costs. I can't remember the exact country, one of the Scandinavian ones, possibly Finland. Ran a trial for UBI which actually showed it reduced their overall costs (or had the potential to), not to mention that if it then allows businesses to cut mundane jobs and increased profitability then that would also mean increased taxable revenues.
Finland didn't test UBI. What they did only applied to unemployed people and the goal was to reduce unemployment. This only worked because of the circumstances of their welfare programs, which make being unemployed better than starting a business or a low-paid job, in many cases. The result would've been different in different countries.

Cassidy

'Trouble is, Elv, the Tories habitually redefine ordinary words; for example, 'independence' means 'even though you have no arms and legs, you're fit for work'.
:p

Javi

Yes, because poverty exists everywhere.
Poverty is defined as receiving approximately 60% below the average household salary.
Therefore if you’re receiving welfare, you’re more likely to live in poverty, by its very definition.
I wasn't talking about poverty. Poverty is bad agreed but not having the means to feed yourself imo is extreme poverty and there is a human rights obligation for the government to at least give them enough money to eat. Personally I thought that the UK did have legislation in place for that, which apparently there isn't, that was ignorance from my part and I apologise for that. I still fail to see how I am wrong in expecting the 6th or 7th biggest economy of the world to provide their citizens with the means to not have to starve/rely on food banks.

Javi

With political capital I meant it's easier (as in make it happen) to redistribute less money vs. more money in todays political landscape. You still think it's not true? UBI certainely is not cheaper than current social security (but much more efficient) even less so when there barely is social security which it looks like is the case in the UK. Don't get me wrong I am hugely in favor of UBI.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Finland didn't test UBI. What they did only applied to unemployed people and the goal was to reduce unemployment. This only worked because of the circumstances of their welfare programs, which make being unemployed better than starting a business or a low-paid job, in many cases. The result would've been different in different countries.
No they didn't.

Simbo

Ed Milliband said in an interview it could cost around £14bn a year, roughly the cuts made to corporate tax by the tories so undoing those tax cuts would pay for it.
14 bn spread between ~ 60 million comes to about 2k a year
Shut up Ed, the tory corp tax cuts increased net corp tax receipts.

I think UBI is probably inevitable, probably 100 years way though. The experiments taking places seem to be a waste of time unfortunately as the sample sizes are so low, it simply doesn't qualify as 'universal'. Until a country commits it to everyone, we aren't going to see its true effects. The Finnish thing is just a lottery win for 2,000 people, shaped as some sort of publicity stunt, lucky bastards.

izec

Nobody knows. It is still a new topic and not much research on it. Might be a good idea, but the right and proper implementation might be an issue. It is also bot for every country i would i imagine. As of know, only speculation and some first steps is what we have. Think we will have a better understanding of it in the coming years/decades when more research and small scale results will be available

Cassidy

£233.

For 60 million folk to have a UBI of £5k would cost the exchequer £300bn. I guess Milliband was adding 14 billion to the sum saved through the drastic reduction of other benefits - it still seems low.
Are you accounting for the costs savings made by getting rid of means tested benefits and all the admin and policing that comes with it? Not to say the 14Bn is correct as it seems low btw

BIGbadBOO4

£233.

Think UBI is not given to everyone. Articles I read says given out once you are aged 24. And you have the rich I.e. people earning over 70k who get it but taxed back from them.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
£233.

It wouldn't be 60 million. 18+ reduces the number significantly, unless people are proposing children also receive this payment (which might be a good idea, if it goes into a bank account they and their parents can't access until they come of age).

Also it should be based on income thresholds. Millionaires shouldn't receive it.

Javi

From this page a very rough figure closer to truth would be that there is 219bn that can be directed into the 300bn fund (if we go by @Ekkie Thump's numbers) leaving a gap of 80bn.