Unpopular (AKA fickle) opinion time on AWB.....

Flexdegea

He literally refuses to mark people or stay tight to them.............he lethal at the late tackles and one on one be he been a bit of a liability lately at the main bit of his game he meant to excel at..........defending.

Think he low on confidence as well

LJJT

He looks absolutely cooked. Did post lockdown as well, he literally looks absolutely shattered and for a young lad I can’t understand why. Total liability today. Doesn’t get any help from those who play in front of him mind you

hobbers

Wish we'd gone for Aarons. Said it last summer that AWB wasn't the juan.

Thing is, defending is literally all he has to offer so if that goes it's basically no different to being a man down. He's the Lingard of defense in that respect.

Lee565

In terms of going forward, I swear wes brown played better as a right back than him.

If we wanted a defensive rightback last season then we could have saved ourselves 45-50 million and just put tuanzebe there, who is actually better technically on the ball.

JohnnyKills

Have to say not convinced by him at all. Positionally all over the place and offers little going forward.

Still young, so hopefully can turn it around. At the moment he looks like another Shaw though.

DevilRed

Forgot about march for the entire second half. Although mason doesn't provide any assistance defensively. Thats something Mason needs to improve in. Not always can change the match with goals, but he can with defensive workrate.

Tactical awareness was poor. Fitness was poor.

But we all know that he is capable of so much more. He will be fine with more matches under the belt.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
50m down the drain..

That 130m spent last summer is looking bad business now

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Really bad signing. Doesn’t say a lot for Ole or the scouting set up. He’s got some good qualities and 1v1 he’s amazing but for us that shouldn’t be a high priority.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In terms of going forward, I swear wes brown played better as a right back than him.

If we wanted a defensive rightback last season then we could have saved ourselves 45-50 million and just put tuanzebe there, who is actually better technically on the ball.
I have been thinking about O'Shea lately. He would be our best defender today.

Trophy Room

He's 22 and I think he'll learn. He was very good last season, he has a glaring weakness at the back post - not sure if awareness can be coached into you but I hope it can. Attacking wise, he was improving towards the end of last season, was doing the basics right. I'll reserve judgement for now.

DevilRed

Imagine conceding a mere 3 more goals than the dippers and 1 more than citeh, yet giving up on our defence after a run of 16 matches in the premier league with only 1 loss (on opening day with no preseason whatsoever).

:lol:

Incredibly knee jerk.

Bwuk

Won the Champions League with Wes Brown providing an assist in the final. Brown was great.

I have been thinking about O'Shea lately. He would be our best defender today.
How depressing is that.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Shouldn't be blamed today, this is on ole's poor coaching, that being said I have to say if tuanzebe was fit what argument could you have against him being our right back considering he's just as good defensively and dare I say it, is actually better on the ball than bissaka, the only things bissaka has over tuanzebe is better pace and fitness/injury record.
Tuanzebe I personally wouldn't play at RB but he could do a job there in a emergency situation but he's not a RB and has had some very poor games playing that position for Villa on loan. He's not lacking in pace though and is arguably even quicker than AWB IMO.

Solskjaer has to turn his attention to Ethan Laird who is a fullback that suits playing in a progressive play style IMO. The only issue with him is injuries too, but if he can overcome the niggles then he has the potential to become the starting RB at the club and it would help us immensely to progress play from deeper areas of the pitch which is a big issue right now IMO.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
As I’ve said, one of the worst players I’ve seen at United.

I’ve genuinely seen more technical full backs in Irish League.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Really bad signing. Doesn’t say a lot for Ole or the scouting set up. He’s got some good qualities and 1v1 he’s amazing but for us that shouldn’t be a high priority.
The problem isn't the scouts but rather the club hierarchy giving too much power to the manager when it comes to recruitment. So we as a club allow the manager to set the short term and longterm goals which has been a major factor in our fall from grace. You don't sign players like AWB and Maguire if the plan is to implement a high pressure play style which Ole implemented for several years at Molde. He's quite frankly got these two signings wrong IMO and it's one of the reasons why we struggle to effectively advance play from deeper.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The problem isn't the scouts but rather the club hierarchy giving too much power to the manager when it comes to recruitment. So we as a club allow the manager to set the short term and longterm goals which has been a major factor in our fall from grace. You don't sign players like AWB and Maguire if the plan is to implement a high pressure play style which Ole implemented for several years at Molde. He's quite frankly got these two signings wrong IMO and it's one of the reasons why we struggle to effectively advance play from deeper.
Mate, I felt really bad towards you last yet when you kept telling us that AWB wasn’t the right signing. Don’t get me wrong, it was nothing personal, on the contrary, I wanted success but AWB has not only disappointed, he has managed to be the worst signing since Bebe, Tosic, etc etc..

elnorte

Freaky fly day
He's 22 and I think he'll learn. He was very good last season, he has a glaring weakness at the back post - not sure if awareness can be coached into you but I hope it can. Attacking wise, he was improving towards the end of last season, was doing the basics right. I'll reserve judgement for now.
To say he was very good last year is a stretch. His overall limitations were very apparent and he had a few genuinely poor performances.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mate, I felt really bad towards you last yet when you kept telling us that AWB wasn’t the right signing. Don’t get me wrong, it was nothing personal, on the contrary, I wanted success but AWB has not only disappointed, he has managed to be the worst signing since Bebe, Tosic, etc etc..
Tbh with you mate i'm just very disappointed with how we've wasted our money on players who don't suit playing in a team that should be playing in a proactive, imposing manner. You're one of the posters that I get on with and have always had a good rapport with and I will never argue with you mate even if you criticize me. But I cannot understand why he (Ole) decided to sign two players who are unsuited to playing a brand of football that he wants to implement.

But I hope I'm wrong and i'm sure many will disagree with me but until Ole sorts the fullback and CB conundrum out our midfield and attack won't function well because everything is intertwined from back to front. And there is some solutions already at the club that he should take a chance on if we're to become a more imposing, proactive team going forward.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Very true. Actually lot of people called this last year. We could have spent that 130m smartly and would still end up with change.

Ole is the one to blame.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
He kept getting sucked in to the centre back and leaving that ball on to the far post all match, surely that was his awareness or lack of and not coaching tactic. And then when we went 5 at the back I thought this should sort that but nope, soon enough wan bissaka was about a foot from Bailly near the 6 yard box basically doing nothing and there’s the free man at the back post again.

I think he’s great at one on one tackling or sticking a foot in and not many will get passed him, other parts of his game are seriously lacking though

foolsgold

Had a good season last year, but we badly overpaid for him and are probably stuck.

Needs good coach to get the best out of him by putting a system that hides his flaws. We don’t appear to have that.

Williams or Laird should put him under pressure next season

ayushreddevil9

Imagine conceding a mere 3 more goals than the dippers and 1 more than citeh, yet giving up on our defence after a run of 16 matches in the premier league with only 1 loss (on opening day with no preseason whatsoever).

:lol:

Incredibly knee jerk.
These aren't one off performances. He has been shite for quite a while now.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Won the Champions League with Wes Brown providing an assist in the final. Brown was great.

How depressing is that.
He was great that season but in his early 20s he was diabolical at times.

SambaBoy

He's not a top level full-back lets be honest. We don't need prime Cafu/Dani Alves from RB but AWB technical deficiencies are really hampering our build up play. His first touch doesn't allow him to face play, so he's facing his RCB, technical full-backs can pop it inside to the CM or open up and go down the wing, or hit the striker. AWB has to pass back every time. In attacking transistions, it's blatantly obvious what he is trying to do.

For now, he's not a major problem. Every now and again, he will stick in a decent cross. Defensive wise, he's pretty much spot on 1 v 1. Yesterday though, it was like the game had been set up to allow March to get a run in at the back post and United were in on the training ground session. The amount of space they got down the left time and time again was baffling. I'm not sure he's got much of a football brain AWB, he doesn't read the game well or follow his man. His physical attributes bail him out a lot.

An upgrade is needed further down the line. Clearly Dalot is not rated at the club so can't see it being him. Let's start to transition Williams to RB and give him a go there in the cups. Hopefully Laird can stay injury free, heard good things about him but nothing is a cert.

Atay

Definitely need to upgrade the right back position. Feel AWB could be used as a defensive midfielder shielding the back 4.

Number32

Solskjaer has to turn his attention to Ethan Laird who is a fullback that suits playing in a progressive play style IMO. The only issue with him is injuries too, but if he can overcome the niggles then he has the potential to become the starting RB at the club and it would help us immensely to progress play from deeper areas of the pitch which is a big issue right now IMO.
I'd prefer Williams or TFM as RB to Laird. I was convinced Williams is a LB, but Laird is not a solution either.

In recent games, Laird made tons of defensive mistake. His positioning is worse than AWB, i can imagine he will be humiliated by Wingers in PL. He was good last season, but that's beacause we didn't played against elite youth teams. This season, he is being exposed by more mature players.

manunited1919

I wouldn’t blame the scouting setup. The blame lies with the “buy British” mentality that we had last summer. Thank God we seem to be getting away from that senseless mentality.

SaboTaj

If he keeps making the same mistakes over and over this season, just sell him and cut our losses.
Could look at Lamptey as a possible replacement if he has a good season.

manunited1919

He kept getting sucked in to the centre back and leaving that ball on to the far post all match, surely that was his awareness or lack of and not coaching tactic. And then when we went 5 at the back I thought this should sort that but nope, soon enough wan bissaka was about a foot from Bailly near the 6 yard box basically doing nothing and there’s the free man at the back post again.

I think he’s great at one on one tackling or sticking a foot in and not many will get passed him, other parts of his game are seriously lacking though
Mostly he doesn’t have a good “football brain”. He doesn’t sense danger, or movement ahead of him. Last year we thought he had a good year, specially when comparing him to Ashley Young. But he is miles from what we need. IMHO, we need a RB more than we do a LB. But unfortunately, because we overpaid for him, we are stuck with him for some time.

SouthPredators4

He looks bad cos of Lindelof’s weaknesses and the lack of threat from whoever is playing in front of him. Put Sancho on our right and I’m pretty sure he gets a lot more space to cross, create width, or provide more thrust from Sancho’s ability with one twos, vision and creativity. Least of our problems.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He looks bad cos of Lindelof’s weaknesses and the lack of threat from whoever is playing in front of him. Put Sancho on our right and I’m pretty sure he gets a lot more space to cross, create width, or provide more thrust from Sancho’s ability with one twos, vision and creativity. Least of our problems.
I agree with the Lindelof thing. The attack has been targeted twice on the same side by two different clubs not because of our RB but because of our RCB. Wan Bissaka to me is not a player who currently plays in his own channel but is made to play more narrow because Lindelof invites the pressure on to him. The lack of heading, the lack of tackles - if maguire was on AWB side as a RCB then I dont see Wan Bissaka cutting in all the time to be so narrow and try to help out with the defending unless Maguire needed that.

Flytan

Lindelof and AWB on that side of the field just blows in general. AWB was a great defender last year but he looks pathetic this season so far and Lindelof even worse. Combine that with Greenwood playing on the RW (not many defensive duties and obviously he can learn to be better at it in the future) and we're completely fecked there for the foreseeable future. I knew when we signed him that he wouldn't contribute to the attack (at least early on) but why has he forgot how to defend?

gajender

Cut our losses while we can , we made a mistake accept it rectify it while he still have some value in the market.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
50m down the drain..

That 130m spent last summer is looking bad business now
that's something that is happening with United on a regular basis. Players come in, they are initially great then their performance dip. It happened to Bailly, Rojo, Pogba, Lukaku, Di Maria and now to AWB, Maguire and Bruno as well. Which makes you wonder if its down to coaching.

Eddy_JukeZ

He is only good in 1vs1 situations and even then, sometimes he'll slide tackle when he doesn't need to.

He is woeful aerially, woeful at ball carrying, woeful at reading play, woeful at passing out of a press, average 1st touch, etc.

We've been utterly fleeced by Palace.

Then people will say that if Ole gets the sack, he should be the DOF. People have lost their minds lately.

ayushreddevil9

that's something that is happening with United on a regular basis. Players come in, they are initially great then their performance dip. It happened to Bailly, Rojo, Pogba, Lukaku, Di Maria and now to AWB, Maguire and Bruno as well. Which makes you wonder if its down to coaching.
We are neither getting the best out of Maguire nor AwB. The manager sticking to that defensive partnership when it clearly has glaring weaknesses is mind boggling.