Unpopular (AKA fickle) opinion time on AWB.....

Tallis

I think AWB plays for a 1-2 all the time actually but he doesn't get the pass back because our right side is very weak attacking wise - including him.

He plays the best with Rashford on the right and it's easy to see a difference that who he plays with does influence him.

I also think wan Bissaka's crossing is good in terms of quality - straight in to the box and deadly; its not about quality but quantity that effects him which is obviously having a toll on what people say.

I think he can be better attacking than Wes Brown as Wan Bissaka develops season by season whilst competing with someone like Trippier (summer target) until he hits wes brown age and experience.
Could not agree more - except maybe I am not sure about Trippier.

sidsutton

He's so bad on the ball that it's comical. He can't play in tight spaces and so often seems to be struggling to control a football when venturing forward. The crazy thing is that in his youth career he was a winger!
We - at the very least - need a RB to compete with him. He can't be starting every single game for us, especially matches like yesterday when we're trying to break teams down. Having a right side of AWB, McTominay (a little harsh from me) and Dan James was hilarious - because that side is technically deficient
Him and Dan James are like Jack Russels pushing a ball forward with their nose. Lots energy, ball bobbling about, always on the verge of losing control. The last touch of an AWB dribble is usually him tackling the opposition.

Me too, but Brown was better on the ball than AWB is. Can you picture AWB doing that 1-2 with Scholes off the throw-in and crossing to Ronaldo for the goal in the final? AWB can't play the quick touch that Brown did to start the 1-2.... every time he's on the ball it's seconds of looking, hesitating, turning his entire body to show everyone the direction he wants to pass.
Yes, this was particularly bad yesterday - the telegraphing of passes. McTominay does it a lot also.

TheRedHearted

The difference in quality between him and Shaw is absolutely staggering. Incredible really. Does anyone ever see AWB reaching anywhere near the level Shaw is playing at right now? Cause that's what we need to compete in the league and the Champions League.
In another post I was dramatic and said he needed to be sold but here’s the thing, it’s practically just been him at RB and we don’t really have a RW at all. Who knows what he would look like with that support on the right. He looks over worked and he has showed up in many big games. Could still see him improving and I also think people forget about the pandemic schedule.

We need another RB that’s for sure, and a full attacking one at that. But having him as an option in games against City and other strong left sided flank teams in the Champions League could still prove to be useful. He’s still quite young and he could still improve. I think Ole still has much to learn when it comes to man management and improving certain players. I do think Klopp, Ferguson or Pep would improve him and I do believe Ole still can. But he’s also had no competition there and no one to properly rotate with. The more I think I about it the more I think one more three or four player splurge and we can be very dangerous to play against week in and week out.

Foxbatt

He is not a bad player defensively. It's the coaches responsibility to make him better. Especially his positional play and his passing.
As another OP said he never had anyone decent in front of him. No one who played on the right helped him in defending and also in attacking.

Abraxas

I think the difficulty in improving his attacking play is he wasn't actually that young when we bought him. It is probably a lot easier to polish a 17 or 18 year old that has good ability but lacks defensively than attempt to improve Wan-Bissaka. It's quite rare to see drastic improvement in basic technique such as control, dribbling, passing well into somebody's 20s. Probably not impossible but the margin for growth is not so big, I don't think we can expect miracles on that front. Which probably should have been picked up during scouting, maybe it was and we reasoned we can get away with the particular balance AWB offers although with our current right wing options that isn't working out.

It's generally decision making, consistency, tactical awareness and things that come with maturity and experience that have greater scope for improvement. In that respect it will probably be a case of tidying him up so we see his best performances more often rather than thinking he's going to become a good attacking right back.

Polar

I’m not worried about AWB. He is doing fine and will improve. Definitely more precarious things we need to sort out.

tomaldinho1

I’m not worried about AWB. He is doing fine and will improve. Definitely more precarious things we need to sort out.
Exactly this. There are bigger problems than an RB who has some rough edges attacking-wise. Guy is young twenties - just needs intensive coaching and he'll be a top player for years to come.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The difference in quality between him and Shaw is absolutely staggering. Incredible really. Does anyone ever see AWB reaching anywhere near the level Shaw is playing at right now? Cause that's what we need to compete in the league and the Champions League.
We don’t need the best left back in the league and the best right back, just to be able to compete. If AWB improves as much as Shaw did between 23 and 25 years old then we probably will anyway.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
We don’t need the best left back in the league and the best right back, just to be able to compete. If AWB improves as much as Shaw did between 23 and 25 years old then we probably will anyway.
We definitely need him to improve. Teams pressed us into passing the ball to him and it proved to be very effective. Also, Shaw was always very talented wasn't he? Even at Saints he was very highly regarded. With AWB, I don't see that natural ability. He's fine for now, but ideally we sign Aarons or Laird makes the step up.

Stacks

I think AWB plays for a 1-2 all the time actually but he doesn't get the pass back because our right side is very weak attacking wise - including him.

He plays the best with Rashford on the right and it's easy to see a difference that who he plays with does influence him.

I also think wan Bissaka's crossing is good in terms of quality - straight in to the box and deadly; its not about quality but quantity that effects him which is obviously having a toll on what people say.

I think he can be better attacking than Wes Brown as Wan Bissaka develops season by season whilst competing with someone like Trippier (summer target) until he hits wes brown age and experience.
:eek: he has one type of cross in his arsenal and has managed 15 % cross accuracy from 39 attempts. Luke Shaw 33% from 155 attempts. Telles 21% from 47 attempts. Brandom williams 25% but the least attempts. AWB comfortably the worst. Feel he is more a West Ham, Villa, level FB and will end up there eventually. He could improve thoughso there's that

AkaAkuma

People are talking about rotation, but its pretty uncommon in his role, maybe more so for CL and PL congestion.

At 23, he's on the verge of putting in 3 consecutive seasons of 35+ games in the league. Knowing you have a player who can play week on week is a huge benefit.

USREDEVIL

For sure. He usually has that right side on lock down. His offensive abilities need a bit of work but i've seen him make decent forward runs and passes. Needs to work on crossing though.

passing-wind

And that is what will happen. You want to compete toe to toe with City for the league? We will need 4 topclass fullbacks competing for 2 spots.

What is Ole doing? A fullback with even a single defensive ability is rare to find. People were crying about Lamptey and the guy is looking average now. It's why Ole has 2 defensively capable in AWB and Shaw in the squad. What will we do after? We will add two pure attacking fullbacks to compete for 2 spots.

It leaves us 2 defensively capable defenders competing with two attacking capable players and hopefully it brings the best out of all 4. It leaves our squad under a depth that allows us to play the game depending on who we play with. For example would this forum choose Wan Bissaka vs City? I think they would. Would they choose him against crystal palace or west ham - not likely as we need an attacking RB.

This is what Ole is doing with the whole squad. Why did he go for Ighalo or Cavani or try for Haaland straightaway when we had Martial? Because they play the game in two ways - one likes to drop deep and one is more predatory in the box. Why were we linked to Grealish? Because he plays the game different to Rashford or Martial and is more creative. Why is Amad bought with Pellestri? One is a touchline presence able to keep his width on the RW whilst the other can cut in on their left foot. The same with the link to Sancho.

Ole wants a squad of different style of players so he can pick them according to what's needed. You see this why we can play defensively with 2 box to box midfielders in Mctomminay and Fred - yet we can play more creative with Matic covering Pogba.

There is differences in the players we have and what they do and how they do it.

That's why I value Wan Bissaka because I value what option he gives us in the squad. People cant see that we went for Trippier just this transfer window the same way we went for Telles and are crying about us not having an attacking RWB whilst saying Wan Bissaka is not good enough. He is good enough because I cant think of a young better defensive RB than him available except the old school azpilicueta even if its heavily reliant on his slide tackle.

It's not Wan Bissaka's fault that we dont have an attacking option competing with him, giving us an option if he isnt improving - whilst likewise his competition will need compete to be better defensively than Wan Bissaka.
This is facts I'd prefer the fullback to be more prepared for the defensive side of the game because there's no cover for any weaknesses down that particular area. If the centre half's get dragged out wide the defensive line gets totally misaligned. AWB has far less focus on his attacking contribution with a wide player who can both go inside the opposition fullback and out.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Me too, but Brown was better on the ball than AWB is. Can you picture AWB doing that 1-2 with Scholes off the throw-in and crossing to Ronaldo for the goal in the final? AWB can't play the quick touch that Brown did to start the 1-2.... every time he's on the ball it's seconds of looking, hesitating, turning his entire body to show everyone the direction he wants to pass.
Whoa, let's not rose tint too much there. If anything, AWB is more akin to Brown than any of our recent full backs.

They're both defenders first, footballers second. I feel like AWB already has almost as many goals and assists as Brown for us in basically one and a bit seasons.

Brown was mainly used at full back when all the real full backs were broken, or we needed a rare defensive showing.

In fact, the way teams target AWB with a press is really similar to how European clubs in particular would allow Brown to have the ball in his own half.

Anyway, point is AWB is fine, he'll improve but Wesley is not a barometer id be using for measuring any kind of attacking or footballing prowess.

MTF

Whoa, let's not rose tint too much there. If anything, AWB is more akin to Brown than any of our recent full backs.

They're both defenders first, footballers second. I feel like AWB already has almost as many goals and assists as Brown for us in basically one and a bit seasons.

Brown was mainly used at full back when all the real full backs were broken, or we needed a rare defensive showing.

In fact, the way teams target AWB with a press is really similar to how European clubs in particular would allow Brown to have the ball in his own half.

Anyway, point is AWB is fine, he'll improve but Wesley is not a barometer id be using for measuring any kind of attacking or footballing prowess.
What I meant was not that Brown was good on the ball. As you said, he was a CB that was converted so he was below avg on the ball for a RB. But I still think he was better than AWB on the ball, while not being as good in 1x1 defending.

AWB is probably the best 1x1 defending FB I've ever seen, but he's also the most awkward on-the-ball outfield player I've ever seen. I'm really confused when it's explained that he was a winger at the youth level... was he better on the ball or did he just get by on pace?

I just don't rate the sum of it, not for a club trying to contend for titles at the top level. Like you said, teams can just target him in their defensive set up. You can leave him open when he's inline with the defense or midfield for a pass to feet, inviting the team to pass to him, and from there you can either press him to try and regain possession from a bad pass or something, or you can let him have space and you get a free defender to cover the wing or middle... because it's very likely he isn't going to start a good offensive sequence. I don't think that lockdown defending of a left-winger is worth what you pay in terms of the weakness in your build-up and chance creation.

lex talionis

There are aspects of his forward play that need to improve, but his overall game is very reliable. And he just might be the best 1v1 defender in the PL.

sammyhol

Amazed this thread hasn’t got bumped tonight...

The most limited footballer technically to ever regularly hold down a first team slot in the Prem era.

Every game he starts we may as well just put a sign out saying “Right side, not in business!”

Must have been in a 1 on 1 situation in acres of room for crossing about 20 times in that game. Nearly every time he just passed it backwards.

We will never compete for the biggest honours with a player this limited in such a vital position for attacking in the modern game, regardless of how many slide tackles he makes.

Pep and Klopp could not get this lad to make usual attacking contributions. The ability simply isn’t there.

Bwuk

Amazed this thread hasn’t got bumped tonight...

The most limited footballer technically to ever regularly hold down a first team slot in the Prem era.

Every game he starts we may as well just put a sign out saying “Right side, not in business!”

Must have been in a 1 on 1 situation in acres of room for crossing about 20 times in that game. Nearly every time he just passed it backwards.

We will never compete for the biggest honours with a player this limited in such a vital position for attacking in the modern game, regardless of how many slide tackles he makes.

Pep and Klopp could not get this lad to make usual attacking contributions. The ability simply isn’t there
Agreed. He lacks the sort of comfort on the ball he should of learned at youth level. He’s just not got it in him.

He’s good 1v1 but bar that he’s a terrible defender. Switches off all the time. Very reactionary.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
For some reason my mates seem to think he’s brill.

we will not go anywhere with this guy as our RB, you simply have to be atleast average on the ball to play for a top 6 team at RB... he’s not even achieving mediocrity in that regard.

longing for the days of Valencia at RB and that says a lot!

galwayfa

He is like a very well endowed man that is bad at sex, he can't header properly, cross properly but if a tackle needs to be made, no better man,

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He is not good enough defender. One on one tackling looks great but that's not the only one aspect of defending. Infact I would take average one on one tackler for other qualities. His positioning is poor, can't mark players, always mess up offside traps and heading is not upto the par.

His offensive game is non existent so no point discussing that. How the hell we ended up paying 50m for him? How did our scouts missed that or did they think he can improve on this?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He's a liability. Looks like a complete novice who never has seen a football in his life before.

marktan

10/10 defensively but 5/10 on the ball. Need to get an attacking option in the summer for the weaker teams.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
2 greatpasses today, one for the pen and one for greenwood

NM

He's a liability. Looks like a complete novice who never has seen a football in his life before.
10/10 defensively but 5/10 on the ball. Need to get an attacking option in the summer for the weaker teams.
This is why you should wait till the end of the game.. His two passes have led to 2 goals..

The Original

This is why you should wait till the end of the game.. His two passes have led to 2 goals..
People who say AWB is bad on the ball have a limited understanding of football. He has a great first touch, is excellent at resisting the press with a one two or with a dribble, and makes intelligent use of the ball in attack. He is a little gangly with the ball at his feet but he's clearly effective.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Probably in our top 5 performers of the season. Having a cracking season.

snk123

Very good defender - needs to be a little better on the ball but overall not a problem

arnie_ni

Thought he's been very good myself. Not sure what game those first couple of posters were watching

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
If you haven't noticed that he is getting better and better going forward than I question your knowledge about football.

El Jefe

Probably in our top 5 performers of the season. Having a cracking season.
Just as he was last season. Plays every game and you know exactly what you'll get from him. Him and Maguire are so underrated for that.

Crazy thing is he's still improving and not close to his best. I can only imagine what an experienced AWB would look like.

acnumber9

One assist, one good ball in for our penalty, one goal saving tackle. People come in this de facto player performance thread to complain.

Judas

Open to offers
I think he's another player who will benefit when we're out of this mad covid schedule. He's improved, I'm still far from convinced by him, but he's got age on his side.

Zoo

Not sure why this thread continues or why it’s been bumped.

stevoc

People who say AWB is bad on the ball have a limited understanding of football. He has a great first touch, is excellent at resisting the press with a one two or with a dribble, and makes intelligent use of the ball in attack. He is a little gangly with the ball at his feet but he's clearly effective.
Yeah not the most graceful but rarely loses the ball, and he's been trying to improve his attacking output as evidenced today. When/if we get a top winger to play in front of him that will help him out even more.