Unpopular (AKA fickle) opinion time on AWB.....

Dr. StrangeHate

Not just in modern time. Even under SAF, all our fullbacks were very decent, attacking wise.
I remember a game in which we had Keiron Richardson (as LB) and Ryan Giggs on the left and two wingers on the right as well to win a match and that we did. That guy was ahead of his time.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I remember a game in which we had Keiron Richardson (as LB) and Ryan Giggs on the left and two wingers on the right as well to win a match and that we did. That guy was ahead of his time.
I remember a game where we had Rafael and Fabio on the wings and O'Shea in midfield. We won that one too.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
AWB is not half as bad with the ball than some of you make out to be. I remember people in here saying similar things about Walker and now he's sort of a reference of a bombing full-back.
Walker is not highly skilled but he uses strength and pace to be a force in attack.
Think about Robertson too, he's not as skilled as Arnold but is almost as dangerous, because he knows what he's doing.
Proper coaching will make AWB good in attack. He'll never be Evra, but if he adds attacking threat to his game he'll be outstanding.
We don't need AWB to be as good as Liverpool's fullbacks who have usurped playmaking duties from the midfield. We just need secondary options in attack, and that kind of stuff can be coached. Yung n learnin and all that.

rollingstoned1

For what it's worth i think he is very good at not giving the ball away and retaining it. In that he is very similar to valencia in that he rarely gave the ball away with a bad pass or a bad touch in dangerous positions. He will never be Rafael level good in the final third but he can at least become Azpilicueta/ Neville level while going forward by focusing on crossing the ball accurately and making the right kind of runs. He doesn't have the skill or flair that a proper out and out attacking rb might have to be anything else.

PoTMS

Don't think he'll ever offer any consistent attacking output. Just looks completely useless with the ball. You either have it or you don't. Can see him being moved to centre back.

Judas

Open to offers
Amazing how Wolves were just happy to let him have it, and the amount of times we gave it to him. Really really needs some intense coaching on what to do with the ball in an attacking sense.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't think that his attacking game can be fixed. With Ole or Poch or Guardiola. He just doesn't have skill for it

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He was fine tonight. The problem in previous games is his reluctance to make the runs or get in positions to be in behind. Tonight he did it every time he had the chance and caused Wolves quite a lot of problems. Main issue was Wolves had so many people back he was having to beat one player just to have a chance at hitting a hopeful ball into the box...there are no fullbacks who are good at this and a majority of wingers aren't great at it either against a side like Wolves.

Or is it trendy to moan about him now?

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
He's a young player full of promise. He is already an excellent defender, hopefully the attacking side of his game will improve or else we will improve so that it matters not that he's a poor attacker.
Bit like Paul Parker.

Ricardo de la Vega

He's a young player full of promise. He is already an excellent defender, hopefully the attacking side of his game will improve or else we will improve so that it matters not that he's a poor attacker.
Bit like Paul Parker.
Agree. Think he's got a lot of potential. Been impressed with him every time I've seen him. Along with James hes one of the plus points this year.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Was said before he was signed so can't be bothered to complain.

Adamsk7

If we had a right sided attacker of any quality, his forward play wouldn’t matter.

Ultimately though he’s a great defender and I think his attacking woes are overplayed somewhat. Played a couple of decent balls in I thought and got past his man more than James did!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Was said before he was signed so can't be bothered to complain.
There's literally nothing to complain about. He's barely an adult and yet even on a bad day is a massive improvement on what we had last season.

Biggest problem we have with attacking on the right side is that literally none of our attacking players like to play there. Nothing to do with our fullbacks.

saivet

I don't think that his attacking game can be fixed. With Ole or Poch or Guardiola. He just doesn't have skill for it
I agree. What a top coach may do is set us up in a way where his deficiencies aren't exposed so obviously, by have him tucking inside and the LB bombing on or have him occupy space to draw opposition players out so the RW or RCM can do something.

Problem, with the players we have at RW and at LB it's not easy to mask.

NYAS

He was fine tonight. The problem in previous games is his reluctance to make the runs or get in positions to be in behind. Tonight he did it every time he had the chance and caused Wolves quite a lot of problems. Main issue was Wolves had so many people back he was having to beat one player just to have a chance at hitting a hopeful ball into the box...there are no fullbacks who are good at this and a majority of wingers aren't great at it either against a side like Wolves.

Yep, expected praise when I saw the thread bumped but of course not. He has issues attacking but I wouldn’t say I saw that tonight more than in previous games. Weirdos.

Sylar

If we had a right sided attacker of any quality, his forward play wouldn’t matter.

Ultimately though he’s a great defender and I think his attacking woes are overplayed somewhat. Played a couple of decent balls in I thought and got past his man more than James did!
Yeah and all he mostly would need to do is overlap which would create more space. He's done a great job on the defensive side. The way we play, I reckon an attacking right side player would give us balance especially if we then have Williams on the other side

RedNed77

Love the relentless focussing on the negative that we do round here. Can’t we just appreciate that the right side is almost impregnable since he came in. His ability to tackle and tackle hard without giving away free kicks is phenomenal.

Somebody above with an extremely short memory said they miss Valencia, clearly forgetting his unerring ability to hit the shins of the first defender every single time, whilst also not offering defensive solidity.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters

I think so. He isn't as bad going forward as people say and only a half season into his first of many seasons and we've seen improvement on that front.

And just to cap it off in case others get tired of mentioning it; a defensive sensation. Nothing short of incredible.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yep, expected praise when I saw the thread bumped but of course not. He has issues attacking but I wouldn’t say I saw that tonight more than in previous games. Weirdos.
Look it is not just "issue". It is the same how Maguire's pace is not "issue" or MCT's lack of technique is not an "issue". It is a reality. We have full back whos attacking game is shit.
Now, stating the obvious flaw doesn't mean that he is shit or hated or something negative. Of course not. He is excellent defensive full back and i don't mind having him on that flank next 10 years. He is very good full back overall.
But we just need now to compensate him in attack. And that is on manager to fix it.

NYAS

Look it is not just "issue". It is the same how Maguire's pace is not "issue" or MCT's lack of technique is not an "issue". It is a reality. We have full back whos attacking game is shit.
Now, stating the obvious flaw doesn't mean that he is shit or hated or something negative. Of course not. He is excellent defensive full back and i don't mind having him on that flank next 10 years. He is very good full back overall.
But we just need now to compensate him in attack. And that is on manager to fix it.
Sure. My point is tonight his attacking wasn’t even as bad as previous games, so the bump is weird.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Opinion not changed. Fine defender. Horrendous footballer. Can't do the basics in possession. Brandon Williams is a better player for me and is right footed. Absolute waste of £50m. Never play for England if you can't play football.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Opinion not changed. Fine defender. Horrendous footballer. Can't do the basics in possession. Brandon Williams is a better player for me and is right footed. Absolute waste of £50m. Never play for England if you can't play football.
Far, far, far, far, far, far, far worse players than AWB have and will play for England and Manchester United.

He's an excellent player. One of the best defenders in the league and if you offered other managers their pick of any Man United defender on a free transfer, he'd be the one most would pick.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Far, far, far, far, far, far, far worse players than AWB have and will play for England and Manchester United.

He's an excellent player. One of the best defenders in the league and if you offered other managers their pick of any Man United defender on a free transfer, he'd be the one most would pick.
Absolute bollocks. Brandon Williams already shown far more. The lad can defend and go forwards and is playing on the left despite being right footed.

AWB can't pass mate. Can't cross. Can't do anything in possession. He's a poor footballer.

Excellent defensively but is that enough for a team aspiring to be back at the top? Suited to a team like Palace who defend for 75 mins every week.

Watching him try to attack today was comical. He's appalling on the ball.

Classical Mechanic

Absolute bollocks. Brandon Williams already shown far more. The lad can defend and go forwards and is playing on the left despite being right footed.

AWB can't pass mate. Can't cross. Can't do anything in possession. He's a poor footballer.

Excellent defensively but is that enough for a team aspiring to be back at the top? Suited to a team like Palace who defend for 75 mins every week.

Watching him try to attack today was comical. He's appalling on the ball.
Horrible game today but he actually created our best chance.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I thought thst he will be better and better in attack but i have a feeking that he is in decline. Awful in possession. Can't pass or cross. Our coaching stuff must do something regarding that. Asap

Classical Mechanic

He even overhit that though. Trent gets that chance to cross and it's a goal for them. Periera had to stretch and even then it was too far.
Or you can question Pereira’s anticipation. It was so close I think it’s fair to say AWB fulfilled his part of the bargain by putting it into a dangerous a area as possible.

Irwin99

Still young, will improve, absolute solid one on one defender but there are a few worrying signs. Positionally looks all over the place at times, created our best chance but his crosses are generally pretty eratic, not sold on his skills in possession either. Our full backs are still a problem IMO (they have been for years now) and it doesn't help our centre backs who get most of the flack.

hobbers

Excellent defensively.

But so bad with the ball he makes Valencia look adventurous and buccaneering.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Absolutely with people when they say he can defend. He definitely can.

A fullback for a top 4 (and more) aspiring club needs to be able to do more than tackle though. He looks very poor on the ball. A total waste of £50m for me. A defensive right back shouldn't be costing that much. Williams would do better in that role. That lad can do both.

justboy68

I almost dread when he gets the ball. Hopefully he can improve that side of his game a lot in the coming years.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Glad its not just me then. A real weaklink in our offensive game. You don't have to mark him.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Should have had an assist against the best team in the league, and dribbled past the right back a few times. It is just the start of some classic scapegoating once you start to see people label him and pick on him after a standard PL-fullback performance. Not sure TAA even had a go at Williams the whole game. He must be shit too :lol:

The_Midfielder

Glad its not just me then. A real weaklink in our offensive game. You don't have to mark him.
He had acres of space.. nobody passed to him.. we need a midfielder that can switch play.. like how TAA does from one flank to another

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He had acres of space.. nobody passed to him.. we need a midfielder that can switch play.. like how TAA does from one flank to another
They don't pass to him because he's shite mate.

Great tackler. Should stay back as that's all he can do.