Unpopular opinion - Daniel James is not very good

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I disagree, he’s speed gives him the ability to counter and he has played some important roles in some of our goals. Now is he good enough to be a Manchester United player? Absolutely not but give the lad some slack, the way some talk about him would have you believe he can’t tie he’s laces!
How much slack do you want to give the guy? I mean, if he's not good enough for United then he's not good enough for United.

And he isn't, we all know that.

mancan92

Some very harsh posters in this thread! James has played a major part in some of our victories against top teams in the last couple of seasons with his work rate and amazing counter attacking ability.

Is he good enough to be a first team regular? No. But a squad needs players like James to provide an option in certain games.
What Dan James player does City, barca, Real, PSG, Liverpool etc have?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
What Dan James player does City, barca, Real, PSG, Liverpool etc have?
Liverpool?! Don't they still have Divock Origi? :lol:
Not fit to lace Dan's boots that lad.

Barca literally have Dest starting at RB, I'm not even sure I wouldn't pick James over him even as a RB. Real have a range of really average players to choose from as well, not least Nacho and Asensio. City only recently got rid of Eric Garcia who started quite a few games for them last year. So yeah, pretty much every club you can think of have some very average players in the squad. Gueye at PSG, Choupo-Moting at Bayern etc etc.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

Barca literally have Dest starting at RB, I'm not even sure I wouldn't pick James over him even as a RB. Real have a range of really average players to choose from as well, not least Nacho and Asensio. City only recently got rid of Eric Garcia who started quite a few games for them last year. So yeah, pretty much every club you can think of have some very average players in the squad. Gueye at PSG, Choupo-Moting at Bayern etc etc.
All better than James I'd say. Good try though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Origi is twice the player Dan James is :lol:

Seriously what does James even do? he's like a lost dog in the woods.

Even the MUTV commentator was getting pissed off with him yesterday, that says something!

If he didn't get hand picked by Giggs and played like he does for us at another club, do you really think we'd be saying "wow go sign him" ?

I'm sure he's a lovely guy, he always works hard but that just isn't enough.

TwoSheds

Origi is twice the player Dan James is :lol:

Seriously what does James even do? he's like a lost dog in the woods.

Even the MUTV commentator was getting pissed off with him yesterday, that says something!

If he didn't get hand picked by Giggs and played like he does for us at another club, do you really think we'd be saying "wow go sign him" ?

I'm sure he's a lovely guy, he always works hard but that just isn't enough.
Go on, back that up with something then. Can you tell me how many goals Origi scored last year for example? I'll give you a clue it's a fair number less than James.

Devil may care

Arguments are supposed to be about who has the better players, not " club A has a shite player so it's ok if we do". James isn't good enough to play for Manchester United, it doesn't matter what dregs are circling the drain at other clubs.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Clueless then. No hope.
Come on, Origi at one point was even bettering Lukaku's goalscoring at Belgium and has been big for Liverpool in trophies.

Nacho has been the 3rd/4th CB at Real for years and held his own whilst Ramos/Varane/Pepe were injured. If is laughable to put them below James. The other player follow the same trend.

We have been a midtable CL team for the past 8 years, it is unfair to hold an unworthy United squad player to such players.

Adam-Utd

Go on, back that up with something then. Can you tell me how many goals Origi scored last year for example? I'll give you a clue it's a fair number less than James.
I don't really care what happened last year, he barely played. That sort of sums it up though doesn't it? Origi is better than James yet barely plays. This lost dog is getting way too many appearances.

He's had a decent chance but it's clear he isn't up to the top level. With Amad/Elanga/Sancho/Rashford/Greenwood we have zero reason to keep him.

Eplel

These comparisons are pointless. I don't care what Origi does at Liverpool or Chupo-Moting at Bayern, I only care about how well does James play at United.
I haven't seen have I was expecting of him, most of the times that he starts he the weak link in the team, and he certainly should not start in the big games. At this point, it's best to loan him or sell him for a good fee.

TwoSheds

Come on, Origi at one point was even bettering Lukaku's goalscoring at Belgium and has been big for Liverpool in trophies.

Nacho has been the 3rd/4th CB at Real for years and held his own whilst Ramos/Varane/Pepe were injured. If is laughable to put them below James. The other player follow the same trend.

We have been a midtable CL team for the past 8 years, it is unfair to hold an unworthy United squad player to such players.
Ok well in that case let's get Sir Bobby out of retirement shall we? Much better than Dan James. Origi was never a good player but he was OK, now he's just awful. Asensio was an even better player but after his injuries he's very very average. 7 goals in 47 games last year for Real. Dest is fecking wank, needs to improve a long way to even be as good as James.

I'm not saying that James is clear cut better than all those players in that list (though I personally think he's slightly better), more that there are average players at every top club whether the fans like it or not. James won't be here long but I see no reason not to support him while he is.

TwoSheds

These comparisons are pointless. I don't care what Origi does at Liverpool or Chupo-Moting at Bayern, I only care about how well does James play at United.
I haven't seen have I was expecting of him, most of the times that he starts he the weak link in the team, and he certainly should not start in the big games. At this point, it's best to loan him or sell him for a good fee.
No worries, I'll send you a PM before replying to someone else next time to check it's ok.

dinostar77

Daniel James for me is a litmus test of the coaching at Utd. Yes he has all the speed in the world for the lighting fast transitions Ole likes but his final ball and decision makimg is poor. This is something that can be and should be coached.

I have no doubt that if he went to leeds under the tutelage of Bielsa, he would turn a blunt instrument into a sharp knife. He's got the ability to be a decent PL winger. Beat his man with pace and get a cross in or a final ball.

Any team thats successful has players of different abilities, the superstar, the solid grafters etc. There is a place for James, but only of he can be coached to become decent PL winger. Not a weekly starter but someone to bring on to stretch the opposition and start the odd game here and there.

TwoSheds

I don't really care what happened last year, he barely played. That sort of sums it up though doesn't it? Origi is better than James yet barely plays. This lost dog is getting way too many appearances.

He's had a decent chance but it's clear he isn't up to the top level. With Amad/Elanga/Sancho/Rashford/Greenwood we have zero reason to keep him.
1 goal in 15 games for Origi. In the League Cup. Dan James got 5 in 25. 3 in the Prem, 1 in CL, 1 in EL.

Neither of those is a good return at a top club but one is a hell of a lot better than the other.

Adam-Utd

1 goal in 15 games for Origi. In the League Cup. Dan James got 5 in 25. 3 in the Prem, 1 in CL, 1 in EL.

Neither of those is a good return at a top club but one is a hell of a lot better than the other.
James has never reached the same ability that Origi has in the past. I don't really care if you think James is better that's your opinion.

All I know is James won't be here much longer, just like people told me Lindelof was the best defender since Maldini

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Regarding Dan James, I can't for the life of me figure out how it is so hard for a professional footballer to learn two skills and practice them over and over til they become second nature. If I can do it as a non professional recreational player, so can he.

All he needs is a fake-left-go-right and a fake-right-go-left skill, with his pace everyone will bite on it and he will have the free run of most teams. But he's been here for two years now yet there seems to be no improvement on that front. Its funny because I remember seeing a coaching video Ole did for our youngsters back when he was playing emphasizing that all you need is a couple of skills to create space and to practice that over and over so I'm not buying that he's not been getting this instruction.

Video for reference:

TwoSheds

James has never reached the same ability that Origi has in the past. I don't really care if you think James is better that's your opinion.

All I know is James won't be here much longer, just like people told me Lindelof was the best defender since Maldini
I'm not even disagreeing with you about James or Lindelof. I will always dispute Origi though, he's never been anything more than fast and lucky :lol:

His best season he got 7 in 34 in the Prem. And he played as striker at times I think. He's never had a significantly better goalscoring record than James and he's only notable for having scored one or two important goals in Europe. Like Eder for Portugal really.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I still maintain what I said about him before. 60% of his issue is confidence based. He walks around like he believes he's stealing a living playing for the club. What he needs is a loan move where he starts for another premier League team. He'll come back a new man.

Pavl3n

Regarding Dan James, I can't for the life of me figure out how it is so hard for a professional footballer to learn two skills and practice them over and over til they become second nature. If I can do it as a non professional recreational player, so can he.

All he needs is a fake-left-go-right and a fake-right-go-left skill, with his pace everyone will bite on it and he will have the free run of most teams. But he's been here for two years now yet there seems to be no improvement on that front. Its funny because I remember seeing a coaching video Ole did for our youngsters back when he was playing emphasizing that all you need is a couple of skills to create space and to practice that over and over so I'm not buying that he's not been getting this instruction.

Video for reference:
Is it me or Ole was saying exactly the same things he says on some press conferences?

mancan92

Origi performed when needed that's why he was there once he stopped performing Liverpool stopped playing him. I'm talking about a player who is there as an attacker only for one thing. Not players who play backup in a position when there is a player injured. Dest is a starting RB that's not James, asensio is not an average player and nacho will only play if someone is injured, Eric García only played when again players are injured, gueye is a dm. Choup mounting is the closest to James even then he has scored some extremely vital goals so has earned a place. We have players who can cover James position so there is no point him being here in the slightest. It's not that other teams don't have average players it's that they only play if there is no one else.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

As opposed to James who played week in week out, of course.

Eddy_JukeZ

Video for reference:
His acceleration from a standstill position isn't that great honestly.

Once he gets going, he's quick, but he can't accelerate past people with the ball at his feet consistently.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Lingard is more technical, more versatile, more intelligent. A better option for squad player. I don’t see the reason to keep James here. Cash in.

VictoriaRed

He's a mid-table player. I don't get excited when I see him in the lineup. Instead, it's a, feck, really?

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
James is our worst attacking player and that’s not even close. The fact he will not develop is even more dissapointing.

Hackman2210

Dan James is poor mans Kanchelski. I dont think he's good enough for UTD and if Linguard could put a bit more effort in I'd be happy to keep the West Ham version of Jesse and sell James anyday of the week. Nothing against DJ but not good enough and shouldnt waste his time on the bench.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He should only be a sub to stretch teams with his pace. Never starting quality.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Said this when he joined and have banged this drum for a while now; he is the slowest fast player I've seen. For someone whose biggest attribute is his pace, it is never apparent on the pitch. I have never seen him fly past a fullback because most fullbacks are quick nowadays and he cannot beat them for pace. What you then have is a player with below-par technique, passing, and shooting who is taking a place in the side.

Redlyn

Origi Vs Dan James is a tragic debate. A slow motion car crash. I hope the kids get more game time over him this season if he won't be sold or go on loan.