Fairly mainstream opinion : Onana isn’t Fabrice Ondoa, or very good

Pickle85

Decent today, but for someone that many said was a proactive, front foot type keeper he really doesn't like coming out to claim crosses much. Some decent saves and no really worrying moments, which is progress. His distribution has definitely been overhyped though.

Steve Bruce

Decent today, but for someone that many said was a proactive, front foot type keeper he really doesn't like coming out to claim crosses much. Some decent saves and no really worrying moments, which is progress. His distribution has definitely been overhyped though.
I don't rate and always thought he had mistakes in him from his ajax days. I just hoped his time Italy and being more experienced the mistakes dried up. Unfortunately it's not been that way this season.

However credit were it's due, he had a good game and hopefully his distribution will get to levels we expect with confidence

Pickle85

I don't rate and always thought he had mistakes in him from his ajax days. I just hoped his time Italy and being more experienced the mistakes dried up. Unfortunately it's not been that way this season.

However credit were it's due, he had a good game and hopefully his distribution will get to levels we expect with confidence
Agreed. The more wins we can string together hopefully the more confident and settled he'll become. Seems a good lad too...here's hoping it works out for him here as I'd pretty much written him off.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nah, fantastic implies flawless. Conceding isn’t flawless. We can go with ‘great’ or ‘very good’ but I think fantastic is a step too far.
That only makes sense if you think a keeper should stop every shot.

Lentwood

I think there's a decent goalkeeper in there. He can't have had the career he's had without being better than he's shown at times this season.

I'm hoping that his shaky first few months were down to the pressure of being the United goalkeeper (Neville has called it 'the hardest job in football).

Steve 007

I can’t remember the last time I’ve ever been so disappointed in a signing and that includes Anthony and Sancho, however I do think he was man of the match today and I do hope he’s going to prove us all wrong.

Hughes35

I've huge doubts about him but he was excellent today. Did everything he had to do well so can't complain at all.

sebsheep

I know that, but surely a goalkeepers primary objective is a clean sheet? It’s literally the reason he’s on the pitch.
That said, I agree he has no blame in today’s goal.
What member of a team isn't on the pitch to keep a clean sheet?
It's weird to agree that he has no blame for the goal but also use that goal to lower your rating of his performance.

GazTheLegend

He had a de Gea esque game yesterday. The xG he faced was something like 2.5-3 I believe, which to be fair involved some poor finishing too (from that cnuty little shit Douglas Costa, pleasingly) but there were some GREAT 1v1 saves and that flying save he made from McGinn was fantastic.

I'm in the minority I think that likes Onana and I think he's an upgrade on de Gea. We absolutely -must- do better in front of him though if we want to improve, we're still way too shaky defensively.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He’s little to nothing good in most matches and cost us champions league football. You’re lying to yourself if you think he hasn’t been much cop since he came here
He was shit in the CL. In the league he's been average. Not good, but not bad either. Seems to be slowly getting better, so if that improvement continues then hopefully by the end of the season we can say he's been fairly good.

RedIan

No way Onana is an upgrade on degea. He had a rare good game yesterday so lets hope he can build on that.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He is disqualified from ’fantastic’ by not keeping a clean sheet. Credit where it’s due indeed, he did well. He was ‘good’. He wasn’t ‘fantastic’. This wasn’t a CL final level performance.
I’d disagree with conceding disqualifying a keeper from being fantastic - that’s a weird notion but yeah, let’s move on.

Seveneric

What member of a team isn't on the pitch to keep a clean sheet?
It's weird to agree that he has no blame for the goal but also use that goal to lower your rating of his performance.
The post said "primary objective". Everyone on a team should of course work towards their team not conceding, but the main goal of a striker isn't to keep a clean sheet, obviously?

sebsheep

The post said "primary objective". Everyone on a team should of course work towards their team not conceding, but the main goal of a striker isn't to keep a clean sheet, obviously?
Indeed, and I didn't use objective for that reason, but the point was keeping a clean sheet isn't just on the keeper.

simplyared

Still have my doubts although he did put in a good allround performance yesterday. I reckon the coaching staff must have concentrated on him since he came. For the money we paid you'd a thought we were buying world class. At 27 he could still have the potential to be up there. He certainly isn't there yet and at present there are a number of goalies in the prem I'd pick before him.

lex talionis

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but a keeper can be fantastic and concede one goal…provided that the goal was truly unstoppable.

Onana was easily MOTM yesterday and was great, though short of fantastic. The saves were top shelf, but his distribution was not great. But that will improve over time as he regains confidence.

Eric_the_Red99

I don’t really get all the praise he’s been getting for the Villa match. Perhaps it’s just that our expectations have sunk so low that a keeper who doesn’t make any major, costly errors is considered MOTM-worthy.

Yes, he made a few decent saves, but they were mostly shots that were driven straight at him - I would have been disappointed if any of those shots had gone in. They’re saves a Premier League keeper should be making 9 times out of 10. (I thought the same way about DDG’s overly dramatic Hollywood saves too, before you ask).

But other than that, his distribution (ie the thing that he’s meant to be world class at) was still disappointing, although I accept that this is as much to do with outfield players not making themselves available as it is about Onana.

And I still had my heart in my mouth every time he stood glued to his line for every corner and free kick. If Villa had anyone who could win an aerial duel we would have been in trouble.

So yeah, it was a decent performance for him, by his low standards this season, but now thing to write home about.

Captmfla

I feel that E. Mendy or Bono are good goalkeepers esp Bono. It's a loss to football that they went to Saudi league.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
We got hammered by Onana cheering team that Onana was going to transform how we play with his amazing passing from the back. What we actually got was a clown show.

evil_geko

I want him to leave to get away from circus that is our fanbase, our clown fans blame him for literally every goal we concede, he deserves healthier environment.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
He’s shit and I don’t care how many stats are thrown around. He’s an unreliable flapper

Geistman

Because he literally could have caught the ball, rather than do an impression of a starfish.
Haha, yeah exactly. Top keepers collect that ball, Onana starfishing a simple ball is standard with him. Got to keep the game interesting I guess.

Conor

Because he literally could have caught the ball, rather than do an impression of a starfish.
What are you talking about, he was never making that ball before the striker, you realise it was a deflection that completely benefitted the striker?

RedRocket9908

Unbelievable that he is getting blamed for that goal, this ridiculous and pathetic agenda against him is getting more and more embarrasing by the game